E6410 with nVidia NVS 3100M graphics - Mountain Lion Guide

v3ct0r

Well, my first thought is to leave for a few mins (a good 5 mins. can't do much harm) and then see what happens. If it is still stuck, unplug it after the 5 mins have passed.

That seemed to work for me on a different machine...

Also, if I boot from the USB without the "-v" option, the machine hangs on the grey screen with Apple Logo on it and the little spinning cursor keeps spinning... No USB or HD activity.

Jon

Yea I've had that happen when first trying to get Mountain Lion on this...

It's a lot easier to sort out once the OS gets installed! Basically, this is the pretty much the hardest part (just getting it to boot to the installer).

After you can get it to boot from the installer, booting from the disk should be much easier.

Yea I've had that happen when first trying to get Mountain Lion on this...

It's a lot easier to sort out once the OS gets installed! Basically, this is the pretty much the hardest part (just getting it to boot to the installer).

After you can get it to boot from the installer, booting from the disk should be much easier.

After several tries to boot and getting nothing it did once boot to the installer:)

I partitioned the drive and then left it for the 20-40mins. When I came back there was a message to say that OSX could not be installed on the machine.

I switched off to restart, not cant get back into the installer...Grrrrrrrrr

J

What BIOS release are people running on the E6410? Im currently running A09. Would changing make a difference?

My only concern about upgrading is that its a work laptop that Ive taken the HD out of and it must be able to boot Windows7 when i put the original disk back in!

Also, my machine has only got 4Gb RAM. Is that enough for Mountain Lion?

thx

J

Ok, so finally got the installer to run again (after lots of switching on and off again!!).

It went through the 20-40 minute excercise and when it got to the end it gave me the picture in the attachment!

I could still run myHack from the menu at the top and then navigated to install Extra (myOwn and Extra folder). This completed.

When I try to restart the computer now, it wont boot from the HD and nothing seems to happen.

post-6525-057122300 1348202357_thumb.jpg

thoughts please.

Jon

Edit:

When I use the USB stick to boot and use the -v option I now get to the following before it stops.. Is this a HD controller kext?

post-6525-058159100 1348202969_thumb.jpg

The BIOS is definitely set to AHCI.

Ok, so finally got the installer to run again (after lots of switching on and off again!!).

It went through the 20-40 minute excercise and when it got to the end it gave me the picture in the attachment!

I could still run myHack from the menu at the top and then navigated to install Extra (myOwn and Extra folder). This completed.

When I try to restart the computer now, it wont boot from the HD and nothing seems to happen.

post-6525-057122300 1348202357_thumb.jpg

thoughts please.

Jon

I got above error too installing 10.8.2 using files on E6410 ML 10.8.1.zip.

Fabry

What BIOS release are people running on the E6410? Im currently running A09. Would changing make a difference?

My only concern about upgrading is that its a work laptop that Ive taken the HD out of and it must be able to boot Windows7 when i put the original disk back in!

Also, my machine has only got 4Gb RAM. Is that enough for Mountain Lion?

thx

J

I am on (what should be) the latest and greatest A12...in fact, I totally forgot about this even though I mentioned it to others in a different thread! laugh.gif

Anyway, yes, updating the BIOS can make a HUGE difference!

Also, 4GB of RAM is plenty (it's the same amount I have), .and it makes Mountain Lion SNAPPY!

photo.JPG

thoughts please.

Jon

Edit:

When I use the USB stick to boot and use the -v option I now get to the following before it stops.. Is this a HD controller kext?

photo-1.JPG

The BIOS is definitely set to AHCI.

That's great! (I think) you installed Mountain Lion! The installation failed error is a part of the process sometimes; sometimes it says succeeded.

Anyway, I believe you have to replace the kexts on the HDD with the patched ones...I'll help you with this later (I gotta get to work).

I got above error too installing 10.8.2 using files on E6410 ML 10.8.1.zip.

Fabry

Yea that's normal. It sometimes reports it as failed, but other times it will succeed.

Just try and boot with -v (if you can't boot at all) and let me know what error(s) you get.

Try running my fix (Full) on the disk/partition and see if that helps...

Ran a full fix of my laptop. Nothing changed. I stil have to wait about 6 mins before can write the password to login.

The grey wallpaper with the apple in the middle stay for 1 min. After that i have login screen but i can't use mouse or keyboard before 6 mins :(

I have installed 10.8.

Other stuff works perfectly.