E6410 with nVidia NVS 3100M graphics - Mountain Lion Guide

v3ct0r

Ran a full fix of my laptop. Nothing changed. I stil have to wait about 6 mins before can write the password to login.

The grey wallpaper with the apple in the middle stay for 1 min. After that i have login screen but i can't use mouse or keyboard before 6 mins :(

I have installed 10.8.

Other stuff works perfectly.

Try updating to 10.8.2 using the 9/4/2012 edit instructions (but remember NOT TO REBOOT AFTER YOU INSTALLED THE UPDATE! APPLY THE PATCHED KEXTS FIRST!)

That should solve that problem and I'll be stumped if it doesn't.

That's great! (I think) you installed Mountain Lion! The installation failed error is a part of the process sometimes; sometimes it says succeeded.

Anyway, I believe you have to replace the kexts on the HDD with the patched ones...I'll help you with this later (I gotta get to work).

Okay, so to replace the kexts on the HDD with the patched ones from the first post here, the easiest way for you to do this would be to throw the patched kexts (after being unzipped) onto the USB Installer, boot from the installer, and use Terminal to install them.

To begin:

1. Make sure you did not rename your myHack installer drive; if you did, replace anywhere you see "myHack OS X Install Disk" with the name you renamed the flash drive to
  2. Unzip the patched kexts to a folder (I will call the folder "Patched Kexts" in the instructions; replace it with whatever name you called yours) and copy that folder to the root of your flash drive
  3. Boot the computer from the USB flash drive and use the same kernel flags (if any) to boot.
  4. Click Continue and Agree and then in the menu bar (on top) click Utilities, and then Terminal
  5. The commands you will use in Terminal are (replace the names of folders/disks in red to whatever you may have named it):

cd "/Volumes/myHack OS X Install Disk/Patched Kexts"

cp AppleAHCIPort.kext "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/Extensions"

cp IOAHCIFamily.kext "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/Extensions"

1. Exit Terminal and click on Utilities in the menu bar (on top) and open myHack.
  2. Select Run myFix
  3. Select Full
  4. When it finishes, restart and hope and pray that it boots without a problem (as always, if it doesn't, restart again with "-v" (without quotes) and post the error/line it hangs at here).

Okay, so to replace the kexts on the HDD with the patched ones from the first post here, the easiest way for you to do this would be to throw the patched kexts (after being unzipped) onto the USB Installer, boot from the installer, and use Terminal to install them.

To begin:

1. Make sure you did not rename your myHack installer drive; if you did, replace anywhere you see "myHack OS X Install Disk" with the name you renamed the flash drive to
  2. Unzip the patched kexts to a folder (I will call the folder "Patched Kexts" in the instructions; replace it with whatever name you called yours) and copy that folder to the root of your flash drive
  3. Boot the computer from the USB flash drive and use the same kernel flags (if any) to boot.
  4. Click Continue and Agree and then in the menu bar (on top) click Utilities, and then Terminal
  5. The commands you will use in Terminal are (replace the names of folders/disks in bold to whatever you may have named it):

1. Exit Terminal and click on Utilities in the menu bar (on top) and open myHack.
  2. Select Run myFix
  3. Select Full
  4. When it finishes, restart and hope and pray that it boots without a problem (as always, if it doesn't, restart again with "-v" (without quotes) and post the error/line it hangs at here).

Cool, many thanks.

Ive just downloaded "Patched 10.8 AppleAHCIPort & IOACHIFamily Kexts.zip", put them on the USB and will try it out when I get to the office:) Fingers crossed all goes OK!

I'll report back and let you know how it went.

Thx

J

Cool, many thanks.

Ive just downloaded "Patched 10.8 AppleAHCIPort & IOACHIFamily Kexts.zip", put them on the USB and will try it out when I get to the office:) Fingers crossed all goes OK!

I'll report back and let you know how it went.

Thx

J

Best of luck!

To begin:

5. The commands you will use in Terminal are (replace the names of folders/disks in bold to whatever you may have named it):

2. Select Run myFix
  3. Select Full

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what am I doing wrong?

I can navigate to the "Patched Kexts" folder in Terminal, but when I enter the cp command line I get an error to say that AppleAHCIPort.kext is a directory and cant be copied. Sure enough, when I interogate the USB it is actually a directory with stuff inside it (there is a file called AppleAHCIPort in /Contents/MacOS - do I just need to copy that file into the /System/Library/Extension folder or something else?

I suspect I may have extracted the files from the downloaded zip file incorrectly and transferred the files rather than the kext container to the USB??? Problem is Im not near my mac now, only a PC and a half dead hackintosh with Terminal! Is there a way to do it from the patch component files and folders or is it better to wait until I get back to the mac and re-copy the kext?

thx

Jon

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what am I doing wrong?

I can navigate to the "Patched Kexts" folder in Terminal, but when I enter the cp command line I get an error to say that AppleAHCIPort.kext is a directory and cant be copied. Sure enough, when I interogate the USB it is actually a directory with stuff inside it (there is a file called AppleAHCIPort in /Contents/MacOS - do I just need to copy that file into the /System/Library/Extension folder or something else?

I suspect I may have extracted the files from the downloaded zip file incorrectly and transferred the files rather than the kext container to the USB??? Problem is Im not near my mac now, only a PC and a half dead hackintosh with Terminal! Is there a way to do it from the patch component files and folders or is it better to wait until I get back to the mac and re-copy the kext?

thx

Jon

No, that would be my fault. I forgot the -r after cp. So really, the terminal commands should look like this:

cp -R AppleAHCIPort.kext "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/Extensions"

cp -R IOAHCIFamily.kext "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/Extensions"

I am very sorry for this. It was a stupid mistake on my part.

No, that would be my fault. I forgot the -r after cp. So really, the terminal commands should look like this:

cp -R AppleAHCIPort.kext "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/Extensions"

cp -R IOAHCIFamily.kext "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/Extensions"

I am very sorry for this. It was a stupid mistake on my part.

Thanks for the -R tip. That worked a treat.

Now, the machine won't even start to boot without the USB loader plugged in. When I use that and select the HD a a boot devie it hangs in the same way as it did before, using -v shows "AppleUSBEHCI" at fault and then I see the same message 'the IOUSBFamily gave up enumerating a USB device after 10 retries.

I'm stuck again!

Thx

Jon

Thanks for the -R tip. That worked a treat.

Now, the machine won't even start to boot without the USB loader plugged in. When I use that and select the HD a a boot devie it hangs in the same way as it did before, using -v shows "AppleUSBEHCI" at fault and then I see the same message 'the IOUSBFamily gave up enumerating a USB device after 10 retries.

I'm stuck again!

Thx

Jon

Hey Jon,

Did I ever ask you to post your harware specs? If so I don't remember them, but do you have an Intel or Nvidia Graphics card? The reason I ask is because (in all my experiences) the "Still waiting for root device" message is an indication that the system doesn't recognize the graphics card properly, and therefore won't boot.

If you have an Intel, then you will need to remove the AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext and the AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext. Let me know and I will post instructions on how to do that.

Hey Jon,

Did I ever ask you to post your harware specs? If so I don't remember them, but do you have an Intel or Nvidia Graphics card? The reason I ask is because (in all my experiences) the "Still waiting for root device" message is an indication that the system doesn't recognize the graphics card properly, and therefore won't boot.

If you have an Intel, then you will need to remove the AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext and the AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext. Let me know and I will post instructions on how to do that.

Thanks Patel,

I've got the Intel graphics.

Jon

No problem.

Since you have Intel Graphics, you will have to delete the two kexts mentioned above by

1. Booting off of the USB drive

2. Navigating to terminal

3. Entering the following:

cd /volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/Extensions

sudo rm -rf AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext

sudo rm -rf AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext

6. Lastly, restart and you should be able to boot into your Mountain Lion e6410 using the same commands as the usb installer.

As always, if you cant, boot into verbose mode and post the error/hang point here.

Fingers crossed that this works :-)!

PS. There may be typos as i typed this on my tablet...in the commands, i am basically refering to the two kexts you deleted originally off the usb drive...