Dell Latitude E6330

peekstar

For whatever reason, the computer is shutting down on its own now. I have done nothing.

But I have figured out that the combined eSATA/USB port is the only working USB port. It is not dramatic, but has anyone a suggestion how to get the the other ports running (I think these are USB 3 ports). Would be a nice to have, because the only working port could be blocked by the WiFi stick (if I manage to get it working).

• Moderators

For whatever reason, the computer is shutting down on its own now. I have done nothing.

But I have figured out that the combined eSATA/USB port is the only working USB port. It is not dramatic, but has anyone a suggestion how to get the the other ports running (I think these are USB 3 ports). Would be a nice to have, because the only working port could be blocked by the WiFi stick (if I manage to get it working).

try this kext here https://code.google.com/p/os-x-generic-usb3/downloads/list

Hi all,

Sorry snoopers, I didn't mention to use the USB2/eSATA combo port to install!

Anyway, I have been busy installing and re-installing ML on my E6330 to get somewhere near a complete working solution.

I have replaced my wireless card with an Atheros 9280 which works OOB.

I have been kindly given a DSDT and SSDT for my laptop by EMlyDinEsH which I have put in my own Extra folder.

So once I have installed ML using the myHack method I point it to this new Extra folder and remove the 3 suggested kexts.

Once the install completes I usually get the installation failure message but this can be ignored.

After the reboot I update Chameleon to 2.2svn-r2189 to fix the invalid partition table message.

I then edit my org.chameleon.Boot.plist and change both GenerateCStates and GeneratePStates to NO.

Then, after the next reboot I install the 10.8.4 combo pack. This also gives an installation failure message but does work.

Again, another reboot, and I then install the GenericUSBXHCI.kext to fix the USB3 ports and my edited IOBluetoothFamily.kext to enable my bluetooth.

I can confirm that without any kext edits, HDMI works fine! I haven't tried HDMI audio yet though and have given up on VGA as HDMI works.

There are a few issues that still remain.

1) Audio - Whilst this works fine, when using the volume up and down buttons on the laptop the change in volume level is not reflected in the volume slider in the menu bar.

2) Shutdown/Restart - Sometimes this works, sometimes it takes ages and sometimes it doesn't work at all.

3) Screen brightness - The keyboard controls work fine, but it always defaults to about half brightness no matter what(first boot, wake from sleep, wake from power save etc).

4) Trackpad - This works fine as a mouse, but no multi finger support.

I can live with the audio and screen brightness issues but would really like to fix the shutdown/restart and trackpad issues.

I don't need 3 or 4 finger support but would really like 2 finger scrolling. I believe this is an Alps Glidepad, not sure of version/revision.

Can anyone help me in getting these issues solved please?

Cheers

peekstar

• Administrators

have you tested the ALPS trackpad being developed on the forum? what are you using for audio? if voodoohda edit the info.plist. inside it there are options to fix many issues. shutdown can be a kernel cache issue look in Console app and see if it's failing cache generation. also i think there is a reset fix option string for Org.Chame

I have now!

Tried v5 which works nicely.

I had to remove all PS2 kexts in Extra, S/L/E and in myHack.kext/Plugins. Then installed v5 and rebooted.

Trackpad works but needed to press very hard to get it to register, so loaded the pref pane and adjusted the values there and now it is working great.

I have 2 finger scrolling and 2 finger tapping working so I'm very pleased with that, thanks a lot!

And you were correct regarding the kernel cache. After running myfix, shutdown and restart are now much quicker and seem to work every time.

Also, running a full myfix seems to have cured the brightness settings too. Will need to double check this though.

And lastly, although HDMI works, it seems you cannot hot plug it. It needs to be plugged in when booting up for it to work, again need to test this more.

So thanks a lot for these pointers!

Will look into the audio stuff today if I get a chance.

Thanks again

peekstar

Hi,

So I've checked out the VoodooHDA v2.8.2 and after editing the plist to enable HalfVolumeFix it works well.

HDMI audio does not work. Not sure if this is can be fixed?

I also retested hot plugging HDMI with my TV and to my surprise, it works perfectly!

I am having a problem with the ALPS Glidepad kext though, although it works, I have to set the options in the Synaptics pref pane on every boot.

So I guess the daemon is not loading?

Can anyone help me with that?

Thanks 

Has anyone had issues with the E6330 lcd not working if an external monitor is connected during the boot? If I boot with it connected, I see only the external dvi-d monitor. If I boot with it not connected and re-connect it after booting, I have both monitors and can toggle extended display or mirror the laptop lcd. LCD resolution is 1366x768 for lcd and 1920x1080 for external.

Hi Gary,

I haven't seen that before. Whenever booting my laptop, I have my mini HDMI->HDMI lead plugged in and both monitors work.

My HDMI cable then plugs into a HDMI->DVI convertor.

Normally, both during boot, and hot plugging my external and my laptop LCD work fine.

Although, this morning, I booted up with the cables plugged in, and the laptop recognised the external monitor, but it didn't switch on.

Unplugging and plugging the HDMI cable fixed it though.

Cheers

Andy 

Hi Gary,

I haven't seen that before. Whenever booting my laptop, I have my mini HDMI->HDMI lead plugged in and both monitors work.

My HDMI cable then plugs into a HDMI->DVI convertor.

Normally, both during boot, and hot plugging my external and my laptop LCD work fine.

Although, this morning, I booted up with the cables plugged in, and the laptop recognised the external monitor, but it didn't switch on.

Unplugging and plugging the HDMI cable fixed it though.

Cheers

Andy 

Hi Andy,

Injected EDID into the dsdt and now I don't have to push the power button when it goes into sleep at boot, but otherwise behavior is the same. Upon booting, it initially goes into sleep for a few seconds, and now comes back to life with the logon screen. After booting, going into sleep manually produces the same scenario. After a few seconds it starts up again. However, shutdown does work. Also, the issues with the monitors remains the same. If the external is connected at boot, it's the only one seen. If connected after the logon screen, both are seen.

Any caveats with regard to the bios settings (other than of course AHCI) that might cause this?