Dell Latitude E6330

peekstar

Yes, I'm using Voodoo HDA 2.8.4, and a patched DSDT.aml (will share if you're interested).

Other changes to /S/L/E:

delete AppleTyMCEDriver.kext

added ApplePS2Controller.kext 2.0.0

added AppleHDADisabler.kext by Kabyl (mine is dated 9/25/13)

As I'm using the latest multifail (for Mavericks), My bootloader is chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) with laptop Hibernate mode

Other items selected via multifail: 

System Definition MacBookPro 8,1

GraphicsEnabler=No

IGPEnabler=Yes

PCIRootUID=1

DropSSDT=Yes

Hi Smeedy,

I have the smart card and finger print reader on my E6330.

But, I haven't tried to use any, and as I don't have any smart cards I cannot tell you if it works or not.

I think it is picked up by Mountain Lion though(device 0x5801, unless that is something else?).

Interesting you have gotten Mavericks running good Gary, I have struggled with myHack.

May try the other methods, what are you using for audio? VoodooHDA?

Cheers

Andy

So I've got the E6330 up&running on 10.8.5. Some questions regarding:

* Do I need a Dell rebranded Wifi card? Ordered an Atheros AR5BHB92 AR9280 in a heartbeat last night on ebay, but I could have jumped the gun

* The E6330 is somewhat battery hungry but I'm not picking up any unusual processes in the activity monitor. Any pointers on that one?

great show,

regards,

Martijn

So I've got the E6330 up&running on 10.8.5. Some questions regarding:

* Do I need a Dell rebranded Wifi card? Ordered an Atheros AR5BHB92 AR9280 in a heartbeat last night on ebay, but I could have jumped the gun

* The E6330 is somewhat battery hungry but I'm not picking up any unusual processes in the activity monitor. Any pointers on that one?

great show,

regards,

Martijn

I replaced the stock wifi card from Dell (an Intel Centrino Advanced N6205, Model 62205ANIHMW) with an Atheros, and it works perfectly on 10.9 (also had it running with 10.8.5 before I moved to 10.9). So, I suspect the AR5BHB92 will work just fine.

Don't know about the battery issue, as for the most part, I've been running it attached to the docking station.

I replaced the stock wifi card from Dell (an Intel Centrino Advanced N6205, Model 62205ANIHMW) with an Atheros, and it works perfectly on 10.9 (also had it running with 10.8.5 before I moved to 10.9). So, I suspect the AR5BHB92 will work just fine.

Don't know about the battery issue, as for the most part, I've been running it attached to the docking station.

I also replaced my Intel wireless card with an Atheros 9280. It is picked up by OS X as an Airport Extreme and works OOB.

But, I think this card does have some issues. I get very limited download speed when connected to a N network(0.5 - 1.0 mbps).

When connected to G networks it is fine. 

Not sure if this can be fixed.

Thinking might be better to get a Broadcom based card.

I haven't used my laptop on battery much, but it does report 4-5 hours depending on what I'm doing. Haven't tested whether I actually get this or not though.

Smeedy, what does you smbios.plist list as your SMproductname? Do you have SSDT and speedstep working?

Cheers

I also replaced my Intel wireless card with an Atheros 9280. It is picked up by OS X as an Airport Extreme and works OOB.

But, I think this card does have some issues. I get very limited download speed when connected to a N network(0.5 - 1.0 mbps).

When connected to G networks it is fine. 

Not sure if this can be fixed.

Thinking might be better to get a Broadcom based card.

I haven't used my laptop on battery much, but it does report 4-5 hours depending on what I'm doing. Haven't tested whether I actually get this or not though.

Smeedy, what does you smbios.plist list as your SMproductname? Do you have SSDT and speedstep working?

Cheers

Hi Gary,

The Atheros AR9280 will take forever to arrive (stage coach from China), but I'll report back as soon as possible. Are you using strict 5GHz bands? Also will take a look in swapping the antennae if things don't work out.

I'm using a MacBookPro9,2 definition in smbios. I read somewhere that the 8,x will provide better speedstepping, but I will have to look into that. I'm using a DSDT which was posted in this particular thread I believe and I created my own ssdt. Any hints are welcome.

On another note. I'm trying to get the VGA working following instructions from https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2945-guide-for-enabling-vga-and-hdmi-in-intel-hd4000-gpu/ as I'm using the E6330 for presentations. Patching the kext en retrying is a somewhat elaborate process. Has anyone managed to get the VGA working? mini-HDMI works like a charm.

regards,

Martijn

Thanks Bronxteck, swapping the antennae seems to have fixed the wireless N network speeds at home, in the office it is still pretty bad(although better).

I think this is probably because of a cheap wireless access point here.

Smeedy, yes I think that is right. I'm pretty sure my CPU reaches more P states when using MacBookPro8,2.

Check with HWMonitor plugins or MSRDumper(or anything else anyone can recommend) to see which P states you are reaching.

I haven't attempted the VGA patch as I currently have no need for it so I can't help there unfortunately.

I am part way through patching AppleHDA though. Hopefully I can get this working and will share if I do!

Cheers

• Moderators

Thanks Bronxteck, swapping the antennae seems to have fixed the wireless N network speeds at home, in the office it is still pretty bad(although better).

I think this is probably because of a cheap wireless access point here.

Smeedy, yes I think that is right. I'm pretty sure my CPU reaches more P states when using MacBookPro8,2.

Check with HWMonitor plugins or MSRDumper(or anything else anyone can recommend) to see which P states you are reaching.

I haven't attempted the VGA patch as I currently have no need for it so I can't help there unfortunately.

I am part way through patching AppleHDA though. Hopefully I can get this working and will share if I do!

Cheers

peekstar,

Have you try my new guide for Mavericks with boot pack? Included is a fixed AppleHDA.