New TouchPad driver for E6520 / ALPS

bpedman

Hi all,

I have an Inspiron 3520 where this kext had previously worked perfectly, a true piece of art.  Then the touchpad buttons failed and I sent the notebook in to Dell for a warranty repair. 

I just received my unit back and it appears that Dell has both updated my BIOS from A04 to A09 AND replaced the trackpad with a slightly different hardware model.

So now the kext fails to recognize it and doesn't load.

This is a dual boot syatem and on the Windows 7 side it's still the same Windows driver installed.

Here are the relevant log entries from BEFORE with the original trackpad before the buttons failed and AFTER with the new trackpad which I received back fro DELL just today ...

--------

Before:

--------

Oct 30 10:03:56 haxmax78 kernel[0]: ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint::identify: Found ALPS Device with ID E7=0x73 0x02 0x64, EC=0x88 0x07 0x9d
Oct 30 10:03:56 haxmax78 kernel[0]: Initializing TouchPad hardware...this may take a second.
Oct 30 10:03:56 haxmax78 kernel[0]: ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint EC Report: { 0x88, 0x07, 0x9d }
Oct 30 10:03:58 --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Oct 30 10:03:56 haxmax78 kernel[0]: IOHIDSystem cursor update overdue. Resending.
Oct 30 10:03:56 haxmax78 kernel[0]: Touchpad initialization complete.

-----

After:
-----

Nov 22 09:14:31 localhost kernel[0]: ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint::identify: Found ALPS Device with ID E7=0x73 0x03 0x50, EC=0x73 0x02 0x02
Nov 22 09:14:31 localhost kernel[0]: Unknown ALPS touchpad, does not match any known identifiers: E7=0x73 0x03 0x50, EC=0x73 0x02 0x02
Nov 22 09:14:31 localhost kernel[0]: VoodooPS2Mouse Version 1.8.3 loaded...

So, one step forward and then two back :(

Can the kext be modified to handle this trackpad ?  Looks to still be an Alps.

This new Alps trackpad is likely to be seen more often going forward, so accommodating it is definitely worthwhile.  I am happy to be a beta tester.

Just let me know :)

Hi all,

I have an Inspiron 3520 where this kext had previously worked perfectly, a true piece of art.  Then the touchpad buttons failed and I sent the notebook in to Dell for a warranty repair. 

I just received my unit back and it appears that Dell has both updated my BIOS from A04 to A09 AND replaced the trackpad with a slightly different hardware model.

So now the kext fails to recognize it and doesn't load.

This is a dual boot syatem and on the Windows 7 side it's still the same Windows driver installed.

Here are the relevant log entries from BEFORE with the original trackpad before the buttons failed and AFTER with the new trackpad which I received back fro DELL just today ...

--------

Before:

--------

Oct 30 10:03:56 haxmax78 kernel[0]: ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint::identify: Found ALPS Device with ID E7=0x73 0x02 0x64, EC=0x88 0x07 0x9d

Oct 30 10:03:56 haxmax78 kernel[0]: Initializing TouchPad hardware...this may take a second.

Oct 30 10:03:56 haxmax78 kernel[0]: ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint EC Report: { 0x88, 0x07, 0x9d }

Oct 30 10:03:58 --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Oct 30 10:03:56 haxmax78 kernel[0]: IOHIDSystem cursor update overdue. Resending.

Oct 30 10:03:56 haxmax78 kernel[0]: Touchpad initialization complete.

-----

After:

-----

Nov 22 09:14:31 localhost kernel[0]: ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint::identify: Found ALPS Device with ID E7=0x73 0x03 0x50, EC=0x73 0x02 0x02

Nov 22 09:14:31 localhost kernel[0]: Unknown ALPS touchpad, does not match any known identifiers: E7=0x73 0x03 0x50, EC=0x73 0x02 0x02

Nov 22 09:14:31 localhost kernel[0]: VoodooPS2Mouse Version 1.8.3 loaded...

So, one step forward and then two back :(

Can the kext be modified to handle this trackpad ?  Looks to still be an Alps.

This new Alps trackpad is likely to be seen more often going forward, so accommodating it is definitely worthwhile.  I am happy to be a beta tester.

Just let me know :)

I seem to be having the same problem as bisk, using a Dell Inspiron 13z-5323. It was a recent refurb and may have likely had the same trackpad model replaced. The driver appears to be loading properly upon boot but cannot find the specific model. I've attached the system.log output:

11/26/13 10:52:21.000 AM kernel[0]: ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint::identify: Found ALPS Device with ID E7=0x73 0x03 0x50, EC=0x73 0x02 0x02
11/26/13 10:52:21.000 AM kernel[0]: Unknown ALPS touchpad, does not match any known identifiers: E7=0x73 0x03 0x50, EC=0x73 0x02 0x02
Nov 26 10:52:21 localhost kernel[0]: VoodooPS2Mouse Version 1.8.8 loaded...

I do have some trackpad functionality though. I can move the cursor around (albeit slowly) and can double-click. However, I cannot click/drag. Also, multi-finger scrolling, etc. is unavailable.

Many thanks for your help!

Yes my friend,

You have EXACTLY the same touchpad and EXACTLY the same problem as I. 

We are now both sporting this new -> "E7=0x73 0x03 0x50, EC=0x73 0x02 0x02" protocol and this kext has no idea what to do with it.  Somebody needs to add this set of IDs to the source and recompile.  With luck, there won't actually be any new functionality necessary and this trackpad will work OK with existing code for the older model.  This is at least a 50/50 possibility since the old Windows 7 driver still works the same with this "new" trackpad.

Right now all we get is generic PS/2 mouse functionality with poor tracking, delayed clicking, and horrible cursor jumping when typing fast which results in previously typed text being selected and written over as you go.

Basically, our HackPros have been rendered unusable w/o an attached USB mouse.

My coding/compiling skills are too outdated for me to do anything about this on my own anytime soon :(

If anybody could step in on this one, I promise that I'll test the h*ll out of it ;)

TIA

Is anyone currently porting the code and ideas from the main branch of VoodooPS2 to the ALPS version?

RehabMan's changelog has some great ideas, he made the computer think that 3 finger touches were keyboard shortcuts and fired them off that way, does anyone know how to, or want to help me implement this into the ALPS version?

Oh and Bisk and bmp152; when I get home tonight I will download the github code for the ALPS version, and when I get around to compiling (next week... maybe) it I will try to add your device ID's, You may have stated this earlier in the thread, but what is the device ID and model? (You can sort through log files, or if you have windows on the computer, just check device manager for the ID's), also what OS are you running? So that I can target the lowest SDK.

Now, anyone wanna help me do this? You still there bpedman, or Rehabman? (:

Thank you all in Advance.

Hey, Right On npjohnson !

Well, what I get from the log is that I have this Alps -> Found ALPS Device with ID E7=0x73 0x03 0x50, EC=0x73 0x02 0x02.

If there is another place where I can find more device info on the trackpad just let me know and I'll happily dig it out for you.

I'm running Mountain Lion 10.8.5 on a Dell Inspiron 3520.  3rd Gen i5/6GB PC3-12800/500 GB HDD/HD4000 etc. and dual booting Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Thank you so much for you effort :)

@npjohnson - you are the man! Many thanks for your efforts in recompiling the alps source.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the device or vendor ID for the alps touchpad in my Dell 13z-5323. Much like bisk, the only reference to the device id that I could find was listed as above. I am running Mountain Lion 10.8.5.

@bisk - since you have a dual-boot environment, perhaps you could boot into Windows 7 and attempt to find the device ID, as per npjohnson's suggestion. It's been a long time since I've used Windows, but I believe if you open device manager, right click on the device, go to properties, and look for device details, you should find something that looks like PCI\VEN_xxx&DEV_xxxx&SUBSYS_xxxxxxx&REV_xx. Thanks in advance!

Ah, that's a fine suggestion and I did do that.  But when I go to Device Manager, select the Dell Touchpad and choose Details->Hardware Ids, I get ...

ACPI\DLL0555

rather than the usual VendorID/DeviceID/SubSysID entry.

Looks like pointing devices are just organized differently internally.

I get the feeling that the protocol info from the log is probably all that's really needed anyway.

It appears that this kext already knows that we have an Alps trackpad.

Let me boot up in Mac again and have a closer gander at IORegistryExplorer.

OK, did that.

I didn't really find any relevant vendor/device ID info within the PS2K/M sections of the registry.

It appears that, at least, initial device identification is based more upon general ACPI class information rather than specific vendor/device ID designations.  Then, given that, the pointing device is queried about it's internals to determine whether it's a mouse, trackpad, touchscreen or whatever.

I'm probably just talkin' out my arse here but definitely not seeing VID/DID like I do for the video chip, drive controller, USB controller, etc.

Thanks to anybody who can mod the codebase for this.  No huge hurry.  It's getting into the holidays after all ;)