New TouchPad driver for E6520 / ALPS

bpedman

i wonder if it's a permissions issue on that file? you can check with propedit app  or terminal. i think it's ls -la /path/to/file.

When I look at the other files in /Library/Preferences, the plist file has the same permissions as the other plist files which is rw-r--r-- and root/wheel as owner/group matching majority of the content in that folder. I'm happy to chmod it with full permissions but I have my doubts. Question: what do you get when you run sudo /usr/bin/synapticsconfigload? Does it succeed?

I followed the RehabMan guide and the instructions found in this post extremely closely. I even had to grab some of the RehabMan's content since it was missing from the archive provided on this post. Who knows where it could've went wrong... I do hear that folks on an E6230 are running it... I guess the question is with how much success? Does the mouse shake a bit when holding down a finger on the touchpad and does the Finger Z value survive a reboot?

Thanks for the feedback though!

Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know I am monitoring this thread still. I just have not had time to work on this at all and haven't had any quick answers to the issues that have come up.

However, RehabMan has attempted a merge of my changes with his stuff. I just posted the merged build on the first post. I don't have my laptop with an ALPS driver anymore so I can't test it out. If you guys could try out the build and see if there are any problems that would be really helpful. That way I can let him know if anything went wrong with the merge or not.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know I am monitoring this thread still. I just have not had time to work on this at all and haven't had any quick answers to the issues that have come up.

However, RehabMan has attempted a merge of my changes with his stuff. I just posted the merged build on the first post. I don't have my laptop with an ALPS driver anymore so I can't test it out. If you guys could try out the build and see if there are any problems that would be really helpful. That way I can let him know if anything went wrong with the merge or not.

Hi bpedman,

Thank you for continuing with your fine work. 

Just tested the merged version. It works as your current version 7. The trackstick still jump to the right after lifting it, it won't allow drag or expand windows. No scrolling with middle button and trackstick. It'll be great if this could be added in the future.

The touchpad, from boot up, takes a little of more pressure to move, but after changing the Finger Z value, it moves a lot more smoothly, but like your version, it still won't save the settings after reboot. Hopefully between you two, this issue will be fixed and be the new kext for all alps and synaptics mice.

By the way, I'm using this on Mavericks DP7.

• Like 1

I wanna add that although setting z-finger to maximum makes the pointer movements very accurate, it occasionally causes the physical (right) button to keep firing spontaneously ie. keep opening context menu on the screen without pressing the physical button.

I work around that by simply clicking the right button once or twice and everything gets back to normal.

I think z-finger setting thru the prefpane increases the sensitivity of the physical button too much. Not sure if the problem is with the prefpane or the driver.

Thanks for all your work, bpedman :)

Great, thanks for testing that out...I have a list of things to start looking at soon, I think fixing the preference saving stuff will be the first

Works the same as before. Not saving settings, which looks to be an acknowledged issue and the pointer jitters when the finger is resting on the touchpad.

Thanks again!

I have made an applescript to set finger z value to 20 at startup. At least no more "stuck" pointer till better solution is out. Open System Preferences>Users & Groups>Login Items>...click "+" key to add the script..attachicon.gifvoodoops2synapticpane.app.zip

Awesome, thank you!

You have to enable access to assistive devices to make this work but works well...

Open System Preferences > Accessibility > bottom-left checkmark called Enable Access for Assistive Devices

Here it is visually: http://www.tekrevue.com/2013/06/25/how-to-enable-access-for-assistive-devices-in-os-x-mavericks/

Came here to report that even though v7 of your fork works fine for the touchpad on my e6230, the most recent Rehabman release from September 19 does not. I run the Debug version of Rehabman, but there was nothing interesting in dmesg. Let me know if there's anything I can do to debug.