New TouchPad driver for E6520 / ALPS

bpedman

Thanks again yeahoon for all of your contributions.

@bisk: I was poking around google and found somebody with the same device ID (0x73 0x30 0x50) as ours on the InsanelyMac forum. In that same massive thread I found that someone (Florin9doi?) was working on an ALPS multitouch hackintosh driver. I downloaded the latest version (v beta 5, specifically with alps v6 support). I then uninstalled the recent VoodooPS2Controller.kext provided by yeahoon but left all other files in place. I installed the newly downloaded VoodooPS2Controller.kext from InsanelyMac to S/L/E, rebuilt cache and permissions.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/271573-guide-dell-inspiron-n5110/?p=1897980

To my surprise, the trackpad actually had movement. I could also click/drag! 2-finger scrolling and 3-finger gestures work as well! Since installing, my enthusiasm has waned a bit. The tracking seems very fast, even when adjusting to the lowest value in the PrefPane. 2-finger scrolling is "jumpy" and doesn't seem highly sensitive. Perhaps these are values that can be adjusted in the kext files?

I've attached the file for you to try out.

@yeahoon and @npjohnson: Please check out this kext for any potential ways to improve upon it. Many thanks for all of your continued help and contributions.

ALPS_Multitouch_VoodooPS2Controller.kext.zip

Thank you for the edit and fast turnaround. Works great now on Mavericks.

Tested on E6420, E6220, and E6520. All working but noticed that side scrolling on touchpad is reverse.

Tested on E6230 - kernel panic. Revert back to debug2, works but need to set Z value higher 

Tested on E6530 - kernel panic. Revert back to debug2, same as E6230

Tested on E6430 - kernel panic. Revert back to debug2, works but need to set Z value higher 

E6220 with id E7=0x73 0x02 0x64, EC=0x88 0x07 0x9d

E6420 with id E7=0x73 0x02 0x64, EC=0x88 0x07 0x9d

E6520 with id E7=0x73 0x02 0x64, EC=0x88 0x07 0x9d

E6230 with id E7=0x73 0x03 0x0a, EC=0x88 0x08 0x1d

E6430 with id E7=0x73 0x03 0x0a, EC=0x88 0x08 0x1d

E6530 with id E7=0x73 0x03 0x0a, EC=0x88 0x08 0x1d

For E6230/E6430/E6530, I reverted one part about device initialization has some compiler warning - Please try with this. I think it will have no side-effect to E6220/E6420/E6520 because these models have same hardware id with E6410.

And, let's see about scrolling behaviors.

[Trackstick - Pressing middle button]

1. Trackstick Up - Scroll Down

2. Trackstick Down - Scroll Up

3. Trackstick Left - Scroll Right

4. Trackstick Right - Scroll Left

- I think these behaviors are like holding some paper(with middle button) and move(with trackstick movement) to see unseen part.

[Trackpad - Two finger or Side Area]

5. Two finger Up - Scroll Down

6. Two finger Down - Scroll Up

7. Two finger Left - Scroll LEFT (?)

8. Two finger Right - Scroll RIGHT (?)

9. Side Area Up - Scroll Down (?)

10. Side Area Up - Scroll Up (?)

For trackpad scrolling direction, these behaviors are as-is. I didn't make any changes.

So, let's talk about correct direction. If we fix the direction with discuss, I'll update. 

Debug_ALPS_131207.zip

Release_ALPS_131207.zip

@bisk: I was poking around google and found somebody with the same device ID (0x73 0x30 0x50) as ours on the InsanelyMac forum. In that same massive thread I found that someone (Florin9doi?) was working on an ALPS multitouch hackintosh driver. I downloaded the latest version (v beta 5, specifically with alps v6 support). I then uninstalled the recent VoodooPS2Controller.kext provided by yeahoon but left all other files in place. I installed the newly downloaded VoodooPS2Controller.kext from InsanelyMac to S/L/E, rebuilt cache and permissions.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/271573-guide-dell-inspiron-n5110/?p=1897980

To my surprise, the trackpad actually had movement. I could also click/drag! 2-finger scrolling and 3-finger gestures work as well! Since installing, my enthusiasm has waned a bit. The scrolling seems very fast, even when adjusting to the lowest value in the PrefPane. 2-finger scrolling is "jumpy" and doesn't seem highly sensitive. Perhaps these are values that can be adjusted in the kext files?

@yeahoon and @npjohnson: Please check out this kext for any potential ways to improve upon it. Many thanks for all of your continued help and contributions.

First of all, congratulations!

When I see the kext file, I think this kext is based on Rehabman's VoodooPS2Controller v1.7.5.

And I found GitHub pages. https://github.com/AppleLife/VoodooPS2

I think this code will definitely help us. Thank you.

• Moderators

For E6230/E6430/E6530, I reverted one part about device initialization has some compiler warning - Please try with this. I think it will have no side-effect to E6220/E6420/E6520 because these models have same hardware id with E6410.

And, let's see about scrolling behaviors.

[Trackstick - Pressing middle button]

1. Trackstick Up - Scroll Down

2. Trackstick Down - Scroll Up

3. Trackstick Left - Scroll Right

4. Trackstick Right - Scroll Left

- I think these behaviors are like holding some paper(with middle button) and move(with trackstick movement) to see unseen part.

7. Two finger Left - Scroll LEFT (?)

8. Two finger Right - Scroll RIGHT (?)

9. Side Area Up - Scroll Down (?)

10. Side Area Up - Scroll Up (?)

For trackpad scrolling direction, these behaviors are as-is. I didn't make any changes.

So, let's talk about correct direction. If we fix the direction with discuss, I'll update. 

The release version causes KP on the E6x30's.

Testing the debug version now. Why is debug not KP when the release version does on the Exx30? Is it compiled differently?

7. Two finger Left - Scroll LEFT (?) - should scroll right

8. Two finger Right - Scroll RIGHT (?) - should scroll left

9. Side Area Up - Scroll Down (?) - correct

10. Side Area Down - Scroll Up (?) - correct

To my surprise, the trackpad actually had movement. I could also click/drag! 2-finger scrolling and 3-finger gestures work as well! Since installing, my enthusiasm has waned a bit. The scrolling seems very fast, even when adjusting to the lowest value in the PrefPane. 2-finger scrolling is "jumpy" and doesn't seem highly sensitive. Perhaps these are values that can be adjusted in the kext files?

Yep, I think I remember this one as the RehabMan Merge.  I did try it right before the superior v7 on this forum came out.  I had forgotten completely about it.  I do have it installed and it seems the best alternative out there for us right now.  Interesting how our new IDs don't affect it's loading.  I assume that it hasn't been tuned for our trackpad yet.

You are right, the 2 finger scrolling comes and goes but the most bazaar thing is that the tracking acceleration seems backwards.  In other words, moving a finger across the trackpad quickly makes the cursor move like a snail while sliding a finger very slowly causes the cursor to fly across the screen.  That's what I remember about this kext last time !

Very strange, huh ?

Thanks again bmp152 for bringing this one in :)

Yep, I think I remember this one as the RehabMan Merge.  I did try it right before the superior v7 on this forum came out.  I had forgotten completely about it.  I do have it installed and it seems the best alternative out there for us right now.  Interesting how our new IDs don't affect it's loading.  I assume that it hasn't been tuned for our trackpad yet.

You are right, the 2 finger scrolling comes and goes but the most bazaar thing is that the tracking acceleration seems backwards.  In other words, moving a finger across the trackpad quickly makes the cursor move like a snail while sliding a finger very slowly causes the cursor to fly across the screen.  That's what I remember about this kext last time !

Very strange, huh ?

Thanks again bmp152 for bringing this one in :)

Yep, the tracking with this kext is exactly as you describe. Slowly brushing the touchpad causes the pointer to accelerate rapidly, while swift movement causes the pointer to crawl. Also, I've noticed that the intermittent scrolling seems to be somewhat improved when you press down harder on the trackpad. Although, this may be related to the inverse tracking issue, i.e. harder pressure/slower movement leads to faster scrolling. I'm not sure if adjusting the Z-finger setting may fix these issues (if that's even possible with this kext)? Unfortunately, I'm not sure where this setting is located. 

Also, today I noticed that after reviving my hackintosh from sleep, the trackpad was totally unresponsive. I plugged in a USB mouse, removed it, and the trackpad then worked again. So there's some kind of sleep-related issue as well. Is this reproducible on your system bisk?

Thanks again guys for all of your hard work.

• Moderators

I tried your kext on my Dell Latitude E5430, the one in OP and the debug 2 version, but I can't tap to click (I enabled in Trackpad and "Stabilize tap" in Synaptic preferences). Others work well with a modification in Z. What can I do to make it work? Thank you.

Enable clicking in Trackpad should fix it.  Yes, modding the Z value will make it more smooth to scrolling and maneuver mouse around. I believe you have the same ID as all the Exx30 models.

Yep, the tracking with this kext is exactly as you describe. Slowly brushing the touchpad causes the pointer to accelerate rapidly, while swift movement causes the pointer to crawl. Also, I've noticed that the intermittent scrolling seems to be somewhat improved when you press down harder on the trackpad. Although, this may be related to the inverse tracking issue, i.e. harder pressure/slower movement leads to faster scrolling. I'm not sure if adjusting the Z-finger setting may fix these issues (if that's even possible with this kext)? Unfortunately, I'm not sure where this setting is located. 

Also, today I noticed that after reviving my hackintosh from sleep, the trackpad was totally unresponsive. I plugged in a USB mouse, removed it, and the trackpad then worked again. So there's some kind of sleep-related issue as well. Is this reproducible on your system bisk?

Thanks again guys for all of your hard work.

No bmp152,

My trackpad continues to work exactly the same way after waking from sleep.  I've tested this fairly extensively so it seems maybe you've got something else going on there.

Mine is the Inspiron 3520 which is yours ?

I am quite impressed with the progress of this Alps kext but am a bit concerned that we now seem to have at least 2 variations possibly going in different directions.  Hope this comes out alright for all involved.

• Moderators

The release version causes KP on the E6x30's.

Testing the debug version now. Why is debug not KP when the release version does on the Exx30? Is it compiled differently?

7. Two finger Left - Scroll LEFT (?) - should scroll right

8. Two finger Right - Scroll RIGHT (?) - should scroll left

9. Side Area Up - Scroll Down (?) - correct

10. Side Area Down - Scroll Up (?) - correct

yeahoon,

Running debug version 131207 on E6x30's. While the trackstick scrolling is working, once awhile single left click in like double-clicking. Really weird stuff. Is there any way to change the sensitivity for the trackstick and touchpad without you recoding it and recompile new version each time?