New TouchPad driver for E6520 / ALPS

bpedman

I will try to redo the implementation of support for the newer tackpads... Darn, I though I had it. @bisk and @bmp152, with @yeahoons kext, does 3 finger fire off? (Does your system beep?) If so, then I have an idea...

Hey npjohnson,

My system does not beep.  I'm not sure what you mean by "does 3 finger fire off".  I am a very simple user and do nothing unusual other than 2 finger scrolling.  Basically, If I can click, grab, drag and 2 finger scroll reliably, I'm happy.

Many systems that use the RehabMan merge (I believe Yeahoon based his off of this) beep when 3 finger gestures are made (firing off) but do not do the action.

I will have a kext to try tomorrow.

This kext sends keyboard combination keys when 3 finger gestures fire. For example, when you swipe 3 fingers up, it sends "control + command + arrow up". I switch the shortcuts of mission control from "control + arrow" to "control + command + arrow" ATM. It can control to dashboard, switch desktop or anything, but not like MAC. You can't hold 3 fingers swipe during switch desktop to see half of each desktop. But at least I can switch desktop without pressing keyboards

Hey npjohnson,

My system does not beep.  I'm not sure what you mean by "does 3 finger fire off".  I am a very simple user and do nothing unusual other than 2 finger scrolling.  Basically, If I can click, grab, drag and 2 finger scroll reliably, I'm happy.

Hi npjohnson. My system does not beep either when performing a 3-finger swipe. Like bisk, I don't use these features very often and would also be pretty happy with click, drag, and 2-finger scrolling.

Thanks again for all of your hard work! Looking forward to the new kext!

I will try to redo the implementation of support for the newer tackpads... Darn, I though I had it. @bisk and @bmp152, with @yeahoons kext, does 3 finger fire off? (Does your system beep?) If so, then I have an idea...

Let me revise my previous post.  I tried some more 3 finger gestures and the vast majority of the time it either does absolutely nothing or causes scrolling (probably a finger slips a bit ?).  However, every once in a great while I do hear a little error funk tone.  It's kinda rare tho'.

Maybe this helps ?

Let me revise my previous post.  I tried some more 3 finger gestures and the vast majority of the time it either does absolutely nothing or causes scrolling (probably a finger slips a bit ?).  However, every once in a great while I do hear a little error funk tone.  It's kinda rare tho'.

Maybe this helps ?

Hi bisk. Just to clarify, are you using yeahoon's most recent kext or are you using the RehabmanMerge Alps_Multitouch kext that I posted a few days ago? I tried to install yeahoon's most recent kext and I have no tracking. I just wanted to clarify so that if npjohnson does more work on the kext for our trackpad model, he's looking at the right code. Also, I wanted to make sure that my system is not behaving differently than yours with yeahoon's kext...

Hi bisk. Just to clarify, are you using yeahoon's most recent kext or are you using the RehabmanMerge Alps_Multitouch kext that I posted a few days ago? I tried to install yeahoon's most recent kext and I have no tracking. I just wanted to clarify so that if npjohnson does more work on the kext for our trackpad model, he's looking at the right code. Also, I wanted to make sure that my system is not behaving differently than yours with yeahoon's kext...

Hey bmp152,

I'm with the kext you posted.  It's not so bad but then I don't use this Inspiron 3520 notebook all that much anymore and it might be going in the next few days. That'll take me out of the beta testing pool, unfortunately :(

@hol64, look at the first page under install instructions, but I would recommend if you have an older trackpad using my Alps Multitouch and its instructions one page back or so, if you have a newer alps they use @yeahoon's kext.

Also @yeahoon as we discussed earlier, commit on github when you are ready, then I will follow suit.