Dell Latitude D620 Thread

vorob

• Administrators

wow... i had to read it twice... lol. some odd things you go going there. ok from 10.6.0 to 10.6.7 you use combo update,after update finishes install and use edp 1.8. run edp and build for d620-nvidia i think its option 5 (there are 2 d620 versions the other is intel graphics which is 4) when building. leave out as many options as you can for testing purposes like powerpack and pcmcia then reboot. this is if you still have a image of a working 10.6 install.

Thanks for reading it. I just wanted to also show people that I have been searching the forums and reading the Wiki, not just asking for someone to give me an answer. Anyhow, rebuilt and will update again. I chose #5, apple ps2 controller, no power pack, no PCI (never had that) and I think that is it.

Also, I went looking through the extended description and saw that Darwin is only 10.0. Would that make a difference? I don't know really what it is, but I read some things about people upgrading it to later versions.

Reinstalling now. Of note, when I restore, it does some really weird stuff too. It goes to 100% complete with no time left, then the time shoots up to something crazy like 324094893 hours and the percent goes as high as 105.8%. It reinstalled the image just fine, but I found it quite strange.

Nope, didn't work. When I tried to boot, it said that there was no boot drive. I went back and tried to repair it, but nothing happened.

Edited by czarofthefrozentundra

• Administrators

you probably need to install chameleon again as it probably got wiped... and it sound like your image might be compromised. if anything get a thumb drive install chameleon to it. the latest version you can get your hands on. install edp 1.8 to the thumbdrive, build for your machine. put your install cd in cd rom. boot from the usb stick and choose the osx install disk. if it does not show in chameleon then press f10 or hit a button to stop the timer. try installing osx that way.

Yeah, I figured as much. I wiped the partition today (all zeroes) and reinstalled. I then did nothing else except move the extras folder over to the main partition then run the chameleon build rc5 r665. Without rebooting, I installed the updates then rebooted. Still hung. I installed the Extra folder and chameleon from my USB (as you said). 

Right now I am restoring the new image and trying to run EDP build for my machine before installing the update. Then I will try building to the USB and doing it that way. Is there any way to see what errors I am getting so I can get a better idea of where the problem lies?

• Administrators

-v (verbose mode) shows where it's hanging but you might be having an issue when you are copying extra over. edp install edp to the usb instead... when running the install pkg it has a choice of what drive to install edp too. install it to the usb drive, when it finishes installing it will open a terminal window. dont use that window hit q and quit it, then open finder go to the extra folder that edp installed and run edptool from there. build for you machine as previously we talked about. also do the same for chameleon. install it to the usb drive only thing though is that you have to format the usb drive to guide like the mac partition beforehand. after all is said and done put the cd in and then reboot with cd and usb drive hopefully it will show the install cd.... if this does not work lizard app has an option to make a bootdisk cd you drag all your extesion folder and boot.plist and smbios and dsdt, drag it over to the black lizard app window it will make an iso on your desktop. burn the iso to cd or if you have an app that can burn an iso to a usb. and boot off that swap cd's if you chose that method and hopefully it will detect install disk if not try f5 or f10

Formatted the HDD. Reinstalled from OSX DVD. Installed EDP to USB drive. Ran edptool. Got following error

bin/rebuild.sh: line 22: /Volumes/Mac: No such file or directory

logout

[Process completed]

I don't have a problem booting. The problem I end up having is that it hangs on the gray apple screen after I install the update. Are there permissions I need to fix before rebooting?

• Administrators

yes but building edp takes care of that for you. was that error after install finished and the machine rebooted? edp is a straight forward thing you should not be having so many issue unless theres corrupted media somewhere... like memory, hdd, thumbdrive, dvdrom or dirty disc basically a bad image being generated?

by the way bin/rebuild.sh: line 22: /Volumes/Mac: No such file or directory means that edp is not installed on volume/mac is volume mac your HDD? maybe there lies your issue... just install edp to Mac if thats where osx is and build again for your machine

So, I finally got it working! I wiped the HDD, reinstalled from the DVD, installed EDP 1.8 and ran the chameleon install (rc5 r747), then updated, and now I have 10.6.7. I am thinking that the problem was I was confused with the directions and put the Extra.zip package from the page that instructs how to install from a USB to the root folder of the HDD. I didn't realized that EDP installed its own Extra folder. I then ran a few fixes, crossed my fingers, and she fired up! I am way excited, since now I can install iLife and other things that require 10.6.3 or higher.

Thanks for all the help. I have one new question, though. In the instructions on dual booting with windows, it uses the terminal to create partitions. Is it possible to create the partitions through the disk utility and then install to one of the non-Mac partitions, or does it have to be done exactly how the instructions read?

Thanks again for all the assistance. My wife was amazed when I showed her the working machine. Sleep works for me now too!

• Administrators

if you did pure gpt you can resize the osx partition then make a partition in the free space and format it fat then figure out the windows bit. usually easier to have an image already and transfer it to the new partition... and yes the wiki needs updating... after 10.6 edp we moved to pkg format to solve most of the errors end users were having with the manual install method.

Just completed some basic maintenance on my D620 ...

1) ordered a new no-name battery 11.1V / 5200mAh from Ebay for $26 delivered

2) I replaced the D620 intel wifi card with an apple mini pcie wifi card sourced from ebay that cost $15 delivered.

3) at the same time, i replaced the cmos battery with a new CR2032 3V cell battery - using the original cmos battery connectors etc.

It took about 10 minutes to replace the WIFI card and CMOS battery. All it took was removal of 3 screws after removing the long panel that covers the power/volume buttons etc.

For such a minimal outlay, this laptop works a treat ... thanks again guys.