Dell Latitude D620 Thread

vorob

Hey :D

I have a dell latitude d620 with nvidia graphics quadro 110m. When I first installed Snow leopard via the leppy methodI then checked the "About This Mac" info and it showed a working cpu @ 1.93ghz with both cores working and it showed a graphics card nvidia quadro nvs 110m showing 128mb VRAM even though the laptop box says 256mb.

I then used post install command, However, I then updated to 10.6.6 and the airport/dell broadcom card stopped working.

I was advised to use the edptool 1.6, which I did.

However after all this I checked back at the "About This Mac" System Profiler, and the cpu changed to 1.83ghz with 2 cores and the total VRAM changed to 64mb.

I don't care so much about the cpu but how do i get back to 128mb VRAM

People have told me it's fine and runs games but its not a game I want to install. It's video software

Please help :D

Thanks

• Administrators

memory and processor are physical it's still there and is not going anywhere, what you see is cosmetic. you can try looking for a newer chameleon boot loader that has more support for your video if you wish like maybe an AN-Val variety or the highest you can find for regular chameleon wich as far as i know is at RC5 rev 750 last i checked a few weeks ago. edp 1.8 has rev 747 under installer try with that.

Hey,

Thanks.

Tried both chameleon and edp 1.8 but no luck.

So I tried running Snow Leopard but instead booting with Intel GMA 950 graphics.

Works great with 256mb of VRAM, HOWEVER... Only a 1024x768 resolution option shows up in system preferences.

I have read around about forcing resolution through com.apple.boot.plist or changing the BIOS on other cards and onboard graphics but these are not specific to d620.

Is this still possible

Please help me? :D

Thanks in advance

i want to tell my experience when installing OSX on my D620

I have d620 , nvs110m , 4GB ram , with intel wifi , I installed OSx using leppy's CD D620SLV1.iso

I began to install OSX 5 days ago. My First Problem is , i cant install xp on same disk , and then little search , xp doesnt like Guided partition , normally Microsoft support GPT partition only 64 bits. I solve this problem little tricky , first install on GPT partition and then backup it , format disk using MBR partition and restore my OSX installation ,then both OS works very well.

Second problem that i faced when i upgrade it 10.6.6 , my d620 was working too slow after upgrade, i found solution on mac site :). New App Store doesn't like NTFS partition, and system works very slow , but we are lucky we have Solution , goto System Preferences -> Spotlight , select privacy tab and add your nfs partition on it. then everything is working well.

Actually i tried to install EDP 1.8 and it works little faster then native leppy's installation but i really need to use my external monitor , EDP 1.8 doesn't support yet. I'm not capable to edit my dstd yet, may be later , i really need to read documentation. May be Bronxteck help us , if he have time for it.

• Administrators

Hi, my d620 has intel graphics so i cant test this method... but if you feel like trying, this is what i would do...

make sure you can recover before trying in case your install will not boot

1> save your video kexts before running edp from you existing extra folder.

2> run the edp version which worked for you.

3> after it finishes put the video kexts back in the extra folder

4> run edp tool again with option-1 (kexts) then option-a (rebuild from existing) then reboot.

hopefully that will get it working for you and if it does let us know if it works... this method if working may be able to get your machine to a higher build

Cheers!

Quick Question:

After EDP 1.7 Update, directly start to use NVS110M, but as you know , that driver doesn't support external display yet. How can i back to use GeForce GO 7300.

And Another problem that i see. When SpeedStep Enable , it cant set .950 V at 996 Mhz as a minimum , it start with 1.025V . is it possible to set minimum value ?

thank you osxlatitude gurus. I just completed installation on an old D620 perfectly using your instructions.

I did not have access to an Apple machine.. nor Linux. Hence had to do everything from scratch from an existing Windows machine.. including a Virtual Box snow leopard installation first so as to be able to create the USB stick.

I installed from original media snowleopard106.dmg

Build_10A432 with MD5

$817F2D9CFB56885D6E8E3FD99855B691

1d1fb7eca55470143c153f7f902b4ada

I had to convert the DMG to an ISO using dmg2img-1.6.2-win32.zip

Once that was done, i installed Virtual Box 3.2.8 and Snow Leopard.

Once Snow Leopard was installed and running in VirtualBox, I used Disk Utility running within the SL virtual machine to create the USB stick from the original media. Then I installed the bootloader on to the USB and the Extra.zip etc. Once that was done, I was able to boot the USB from the D620 and complete the install.

thanks again.

Hello,

Enjoyed reading all the posts and seeing the dynamics of this great community. I have an NVidia-based D620 (2 GHz) and was able to install SL 10.6.0 perfectly from my retail disk imaged onto a USB. I actually had no other access to a mac and used transmac and MacDrive to format my usb correctly and do the install. I updated everything, things working great (except the whole sleep thing, but I wasn't worried about it at the moment). I used all the files and followed all the Wikis from this site. (EDP 1.8 and the chameleon version from the same page).

However, I wanted to make the jump to SL 10.6.7. As far as I have read, most people have no problems installing 10.6.6 or 10.6.7. I backed-up my install and then ran the update. After the prompt to restart, it installs the update and then shuts down. When I turn the computer on and enter the system password, it logs into the gray boot screen with the apple and spinning circle. Then it hangs and never moves past that point.

Things I have tried: re-imaged the machine, installed EDP 1.8 again, did not reboot and then installed the update and rebooted. Same problem.

Ran this installation in -x mode; got the gray bar to fill to capacity; then it disappeared and I was stuck at the same spot

Ran in verbose mode; since I am a noob to the mac, I wasn't sure how to read the entire entry or pause it to see where errors occur. However, it stopped at

ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint: Dictionary Object: HDDefaultParameters Value: ??

I did catch a glimpse that said Darwin version was 10.6; I don't know what this means.

Ran with pmVersion=21; got past the last error and now stuck on

SIOCPROTODETACH_IN6: utun0 error=6

Ran with -x -v PmVersion=21 Same error as above.....but then is goes on and does a bunch of stuff and stops on

Kext load request buffer from user space still retained by a kext; probably a memory leak.

Stalls, then says a bunch more things and ends up with the same error

Could it be that software I installed is interfering with the update? I did not find a good update thread here that talks about going from 10.6.0 to 10.6.7, so any help would be much appreciated.

Is there a good place to read about KP's I don't know what they are or how to see if I have one. I am very familiar with Windows, DOS, some linux, and this is my first attempt at learning Mac OSX. Should I run a repair on it (it seems that the repair is done when running in -x mode)?

Thanks so much. Hoping you all can help me troubleshoot and figure out how to get updated to 10.6.7.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Specs: Dell Latitude D620 Core 2 Duo @ 2.0 GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM @ 667 MHz, 320GB WD Scorpio Black HDD, BIOS version A10, NVIDIA NVS110M graphics