E6400 Nvidia NVS 160M (not Intel GMA) Yosemite CLOVER Guide

krzysztofc10

Things I have learned this week:

• OSX 10.10.5 does not render the Dell E6400 hardware impervious to the effects of maple syrup (so if you were hoping that hackintoshing your Dell would help you cope with a maple syrup rich environment forget about it!).
  • Maple syrup has an ability to flow around obstacles that is only exceeded by helium (the He being cooled to a superfluid state in this comparison).
  • OSX does not know about the wifi hardware switch on the Dell E6400 (if you boot with the wifi disabled by said switch you may have to reboot to get wifi function back --though I imagine there must be a UNIX way to get it back without a reboot)
  • Despite being called a "syrup", maple syrup could also be considered to be a very light brine (you are concentrating the electrolytes in xylem sap 20 to 50 fold, not just the sugars) and as such it is perfectly capable of shorting out electronic components.
  • A thorough cleaning (tap water followed by distilled water followed by 91% isopropyl alcohol --the last helps to  speed up drying) can bring maple syrup afflicted electronic components (including keyboards and trackpads) back to life. YMMV.
  • Thorough cleanings need to be thorough.

On 9/29/2015 at 5:14 PM, cosmicaug said:

Things I have learned this week:

• OSX 10.10.5 does not render the Dell E6400 hardware impervious to the effects of maple syrup (so if you were hoping that hackintoshing your Dell would help you cope with a maple syrup rich environment forget about it!).
  • Maple syrup has an ability to flow around obstacles that is only exceeded by helium (the He being cooled to a superfluid state in this comparison).
  • OSX does not know about the wifi hardware switch on the Dell E6400 (if you boot with the wifi disabled by said switch you may have to reboot to get wifi function back --though I imagine there must be a UNIX way to get it back without a reboot)
  • Despite being called a "syrup", maple syrup could also be considered to be a very light brine (you are concentrating the electrolytes in xylem sap 20 to 50 fold, not just the sugars) and as such it is perfectly capable of shorting out electronic components.
  • A thorough cleaning (tap water followed by distilled water followed by 91% isopropyl alcohol --the last helps to  speed up drying) can bring maple syrup afflicted electronic components (including keyboards and trackpads) back to life. YMMV.
  • Thorough cleanings need to be thorough.

@cosmicaug

I totally disagree with you about wifi switch  I have just tried on mine booting with wifi switch in off position and then turning it on and after a minute I can connect to wifi

My card is an ath AR5B93 with works native as an airport extreme no problems what so ever

I have reinstalled yosemite this time from start with clover following this guide to the letter but still problem exsists if I enable speedstep in bios sound out of sync with video plus sound alert and sound effect not clear

If I disable speedstep in bios everything is fine OS X will speed step anyway

I cannot believe that everyone that has installed yosemite on e6400 are not willing to give me a hand .......

Maybe you don't use it as an everyday laptop also I consider myself quite competent in these matter as i have been installing OS X on my laptop for many years  now but clover is something new for me as I always used chameleon  boot loader so I am a bit out of my  comfort zone

@Bootxy did you install it as per guide????

Does your laptop always stops and shuts down???\

When it happens are the fans on???

Can you post a kextstat of your config???

@cosmicaug

I totally disagree with you about wifi switch I have just tried on mine booting with wifi switch in off position and then turning it on and after a minute I can connect to wifi

My card is an ath AR5B93 with works native as an airport extreme no problems what so ever

Weird! Mine is Broadcom based.

An unfortunate side effect of the maple syrup incident is that shortly after I put the laptop back together the trackpad buttons stopped working. Attempting to clean the buttons did not fix the problem.

:(

I really dislike the fact that to get to the palm rest I have to remove the heatsink. Other laptops that I have taken apart seem to work similarly, however.

But I digress....

@robi62

I have followed everything in the guide exactly and everything works except for my laptop shutting down.

My laptop has never shutdown on any other OS but I do have the Dell E6400 throttling issue on Windows 7.

No my laptop completely shuts off. 

Finally, sorry I do not know to to get a kext stat but if some one could link me a tutorial that would be great. I googled how to do and the first link seemed a little to complicated.  If anybody has a guide thats a little more user friendly that would be wonderful

Also I narrowed down the shut down problem.  It only happens when I either start something intensive  like watching youtube or playing a game or music or downloading something. 

Thank you for any help given!!

See if this works for you. I'm pretty sure this model has Alps touchpad.

Does one install that by dragging it to the Kext utility? I have done that and it changes nothing.

I was actually referring to the keyboard buttons (three above the touchpad) and the keyboard pointing stick (the little stick between the 'G', 'H' & 'B' keys).

I have noticed very curious things, though.

I am starting to get the touchpad buttons (located below it) back but the left one is wrong.

I noticed this when running the Mint 17.2 live DVD. Basically, though I have no idea how this is even possible, it seems as if my left button is having an identity crisis. I ran a program called "xev" that looks at the input that X is getting and it told me that it was reading my left button as button #2 even though it should read as button #1. My laptop thinks the left button is a middle button!

Now I have borrowed a mouse and am actually running OSX while typing this and I've tested the trackpad buttons a bit. It seems like the left button is sometimes acting like a middle button (remember, there is no middle button on the trackpad itself), sometimes acting like the right button (this seems like the most frequent behavior now) and rarely acting like a left button.

I have ordered replacement trackball buttons but I actually hope that it resolves this identity crisis on its own so that I do not have to disassemble the laptop a third time.

By the way, is there any utility on OS X like xev that will tell me when the OS is seeing?

@bootxy Do you have hwmontor installed to see what temps cpu get too

When problems happens are the fans on????

What smbios are u using????

for kextstat you just type kextstat in terminal it gives you a list of loaded kexts then save it with textedit

@bootxy Do you have hwmontor installed to see what temps cpu get too

When problems happens are the fans on????

What smbios are u using????

for kextstat you just type kextstat in terminal it gives you a list of loaded kexts then save it with textedit

@robi62 About your issue with the CPU, the P8600 runs at 2.4 GHZ. Some CPUs are not exact, as mine runs at 2394 MhZ. Is it a big issue like it running at 1.6 GhZ? 

@bootxy When you turn the system on, hold down fn+LShift and type 15324. The press fn+r. This takes you to a hardware monitoring bios setting display, where we can see your temps, fan speed, CPU throttle, power throttle. All these could contribute to the issue of the random shut downs.

Report back, and I'll check your issue.

Sorry for not being able to help people, I am hardly on anymore, except for a major OS release or something. Feel free to PM me and I can sorta help xD 

• Like 1