Yosemite on Inspiron 1720 with NVidia

griftopia

So what is the solution? About 50% of the time I can get to Disk Utilities, but then it will hang during installation. There has to be some explanation. Maybe some kext? I've tried different guides for making USB stick on the forums. No dice.

Sucks most intensely.  :(  :(  :(

Shall I go back to trying with DSDT and if so, can I keep the tuned FakeSMC or shall I go with original one? Or maybe DSDT or not is not the issue. Something fundamentally wrong with my hardware? I even tried another Hard Drive. 

So I partitioned my drive and built a "boot partition". I tried to boot off this partition but was not able. I still needed the USB stick. However, then I selected the boot partition. Now how come I have same issue? Install starts copying files and freezes, just like before. If things are running off the hard disk boot partition now, and my original issue was USB, then I shouldn't have this problem. 

So is it USB issue or something else? Hope someone can provide insight. My next move would be to remove my Windows drive and use whole drive in its place with boot partition, if for no other reason than to prove USB is not the issue and something else. What a pain!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually my /E/E kexts are getting loaded, but that's because I'm doing it wrong (myHack should not be used). I didn't know about /L/E but only /S/L/E and was loath to copy things in /S/L/E. Will use /L/E.

I'm building my "disk usb" right now. Darn thing takes 2-3 hours, but as long as i works...
UPDATE - Guys the USB is not my issue. My "disk usb" also fails as soon as install starts copying files. I'm going to rebuild USB one more time. I'm following below link "Yosemite Post".
https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7914-dell-latitude-e6220-with-intel-i5-2520m-hd3000-and-1366x768-lcd-mavericksyosemite/

PS - Forgot to mention earlier, I do see a FakeSMC error with the tuned kext I'm using from D630 pack. Not sure if this is normal. This is actually why I'm building USB one last time.

If I still get the same issue, I'm going to continue to use normal FakeSMC (will need to figure out which unless someone can tell me) and keep hacking the DSDT. Not sure what else left to do at this point. Hate to be so close but not able to do it.

I really appreciate everyone's patience and reading this thread to try and help me.

So now I'm being very meticulous and not just doing what is asked but observing more carefully. I have just finished building my USB and will be attempting install shortly. However, I wanted to run the output of my kext caching. Please tell me if this is a problem.

PS - Herve, I didn't put my kexts in /L/E since I didn't want to make a mistake this time so followed guide meticulous and copied by 4 kexts to  /S/L/E (AppleACPIPS2Nub, ApplePS2Controller, FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerMangement). I'm not sure where other kexts came from. I'm assuming they were already in /S/L/E. Especially VoodooPS2Trackpad one. I thought everything "Voodoo" was not from Apple. Also, I'm worried ApplePS2Controller and FakeSMC did not get picked up. Except NullCPUPowerManagement, the 3 kexts are from D630 pack you indicated few posts back. NullCPUPowerManagement is from svn trunk 346.

PPS - Once again, /S/L/E not loading, so I have to use -f. I'm pretty sure not loading otherwise since barely get screenful of kext loading instead of several screenfuls I'm used to seeing. I have triple checked instructions on how to fix permissions and cache kexts and am attaching my plists. Regardless, same problem. First, I also have to use -x to get to Language Selection screen. Then few seconds after install begins, mouse frozen, USB light off, Hard Drive light off. There has to be a reason.

sudo /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System\ 1/usr/sbin/kextcache -Boot -U /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System\ 1 -K /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System\ 1/System/Library/Kernels/kernel

rebuilding /Volumes/OS X Base System 1/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache

kext file:///Volumes/OS%20X%20Base%20System%201/System/Library/Extensions/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load

LPCSensors.kext has invalid signature; omitting.

GPUSensors.kext has invalid signature; omitting.

CPUSensors.kext has invalid signature; omitting.

ACPISensors.kext has invalid signature; omitting.

FakeSMC.kext has invalid signature; omitting.

VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext has invalid signature; omitting.

ApplePS2Keyboard.kext has invalid signature; omitting.

ApplePS2Controller.kext has invalid signature; omitting.

kext file:///Volumes/OS%20X%20Base%20System%201/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load

plist.zip

Err...I took the plist from D630 and it very much has it. Please see below. However, now I see UseKernelCache is also "Yes". And I can tell you it is skipping cache even if I manually provide the option. What the heck is going on I can't figure out. And if you can also please tell me if anything wrong in how I built the kext cache based on output of common I listed above. I think that's where the problem might be, but you know best.

FWIW, when booting with -v, both -v and kext-dev-mode=1 are clearly listed on the console display

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1440x900x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1</string>
<key>PrivateData</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>SystemType</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>Default</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

• Administrators

Remove those kexts added to /S/L/E and copy them to /Library/Extensions. Then repair permissions and rebuild your cache with following commands:

sudo chmod -Rf 755 /Volumes/<USB installer name>/S*/L*/E*
sudo chmod -Rf 755 /Volumes/<USB installer name>/L*/E*
sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /Volumes/<USB installer name>/S*/L*/E*
sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /Volumes/<USB installer name>/L*/E*
sudo touch -f /Volumes/<USB installer name>/S*/L*/E*
sudo touch -f /Volumes/<USB installer name>/L*/E*
sudo /Volumes/<USB installer name>/usr/sbin/kextcache -Boot -U /Volumes/<USB installer name> -K /Volumes/<USB installer name>/S*/L*/Kernels/kernel
This assumes you've copied the appropriate Yosemite kernel file to /S/L/K.

Okay. Since I know for a fact USB is not my problem - I've been working with 2nd Hard Drive - I'm going to build USB again with above instructions. I'm afraid if I keep opening and closing laptop and mounting unmounting drive in caddy, I'm going to break something. So one last time I will build boot disk both ways, and from then carry forward with USB only.

Will report here...

So once again, all kexts did not load. And the last command finished so quickly doubt it did anything. It almost seems as if it was okay those 4 kexts not in /S/L/E and more, but then it didn't even look for them in /L/E.

So used -v, -f, and needless to say, didn't make any difference. Once again, frozen at 16 minutes left. Mouse is frozen, hard drive light is off.

Going to rebuild USB now and never going back to hard disk for booting - seems pointless. This time will not follow directions in original guide exactly, but put the 4 kexts in /L/E from the get go and then use commands given above in this thread.

I think I'm following Einstein's definitions of insanity here - doing the same thing over and over expecting different outcome. I just wish at least my outcome changes little bit.

So this HAS to be my problem. I put the 4 minimal kexts in /L/E this time. Used chmod/chown, then touched both /S/L/E and /L/E, and then ran the command to kextcache, and I again see this ... Why?

sudo /Volumes/SonyUSB/usr/sbin/kextcache -Boot -U /Volumes/SonyUSB -K /Volumes/SonyUSB/System/Library/Kernels/kernel

rebuilding /Volumes/SonyUSB/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext has incorrect permissions; omitting.

LPCSensors.kext has incorrect permissions; omitting.

GPUSensors.kext has incorrect permissions; omitting.

CPUSensors.kext has incorrect permissions; omitting.

ACPISensors.kext has incorrect permissions; omitting.

FakeSMC.kext has incorrect permissions; omitting.

VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext has incorrect permissions; omitting.

ApplePS2Keyboard.kext has incorrect permissions; omitting.

ApplePS2Controller.kext has incorrect permissions; omitting.

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext has incorrect permissions; omitting.