Yosemite on Inspiron 1720 with NVidia

griftopia

I've just looked at the specs available on Dell's web site and the Inspiron 1720 is indeed of similar architecture as the D630 nVidia: FSB667/FSB800 C2D CPUs, Intel GM965 chipset, ICH8M I/O controller, integrated GMA X3100 or discrete nVidia GeForce 8400M G (128Mo)/8600M GT (256Mo) graphics.

As such, I'm not expecting this AICPUPM kernel panic pictured above.

@griftopia: please explain method used to create USB installer, specify the Chameleon version used and post a compressed copy of your full /Extra folder (bootpack). If you can include your raw DSDT, even better.

I'm sure at least part of my problem is my inexperience.

One thing on my todo list is start over. Any other suggestions you can make I can incorporate.

I will provide my raw dsdt shortly (still at work). The kexts I used from the D630 pack with its tuned FakeSMC of course. Only thing I added which didn't help was the NULLCPU...and the SleepEnabler.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yippee!!!  Yahoo!!! etc. etc. etc.

So I'm not going to give anyone my raw DSDT. Just kidding.  :-P

So in a moment of clarity, I decided to try something different. No DSDT of course.

1) Just the tuned FakeSMC. I get to Language Selection screen. Keyboard / Trackpad don't work. Pondering my next move....No HPET(s)... !!!

2) Add ApplePS2Controller and AppleACPIPS2Nub. Again get to language selection screen. Select Language and hit Enter. 5 seconds later...No HPET(s)...!

3) Add NullCPUPowerManagement. Again get to language selection screen. Select Language and hit Enter. BINGO !!!

I played around with Disk Utility and Terminal, expecting No HPET(s)....but never got it. Looks like good progress to me. My best guess is ACPIBatteryManager was my problem. However at this point, I could care less, because I think I can add any remaining kexts later once I have a successful install.

So then, just for kicks, I changed to different USB port, but forgot to enter -v boot option. Apple Logo Hang - don't get this. Why should absence of -v cause a hang? So decide to try again with -v and get "AppleSMBusPCI::start failed to get acpi path for provider" and it halts.

Moved back to the original port where I had success and on purpose did not specify -v. No issues - back to language selection screen. Do not get No HPET(s)...

So I dunno why, but at least one ONE USB port I am having some luck. (Update: 2 USB ports work, 3 fail each in different ways)

***Update*** - After my compute is running for a while, ALL USB ports fail ***. I'm not kidding. I think trick might be to let laptop cool down and then do everything as fast as possible

I have attached my RAW DSDT and my PATCHED DSDT. I'm about ready to swap out my Linux HD for a new one and try my luck. Please tell me if I should continue with above approach without DSDT. Or I should use regular FakeSMC and any DSDT edits you can suggest and then try. Of course if I use DSDT I hope I can get as far as I have gotten right now.

dsdt_inspiron_1720.zip

• Administrators

its all about experimenting and taking chances.

if it got as far as the installer i would use what you have at that point to try finish the install. of course you will need to do the same to the new installed os after the install so the os can boot since the files you used do not get transferred to the fresh install neither does the boot loader.

• Administrators

[...]

However at this point, I could care less, because I think I can add any remaining kexts later once I have a successful install.

[...]

Correct, that's how one should proceed. You start with the minimal possible pack then add things one by one. It's timely, it's frustrating, it's exhausting but it's the only way to get things right.

its all about experimenting and taking chances.

if it got as far as the installer i would use what you have at that point to try finish the install. of course you will need to do the same to the new installed os after the install so the os can boot since the files you used do not get transferred to the fresh install neither does the boot loader.

Yes. I edited my post above. After coming home this evening on a "cool computer". Maybe have a fan next to it or something. I know I sound dumb, but I've been thinking about this for a while. Whenever I got to the language screen, I was starting computer after long time. After a while of reboots, computer starts misbehaving and then whatever I'm trying adds a new dimension to the confusion. Not sure if I have a hardware issue with heat in general, or some Apple Kext is causing my computer to overheat.

Yeah computer is clean. I started installing, then it stopped and mouse freeze. Not sure if there is any truth to the "keep moving your mouse" theory. I tried it, but it still froze. Starts with "17 minutes left". Hangs at "16 minutes left". Mouse is frozen, so I doubt it is doing anything in the background. USB light is also not on.

Bummer.  :-(

Attached. Of course, following advice here I'm not using any dsdt - patched or unpatched. Thanks.

PS - It almost seems like my USB goes to "sleep" or something. Is this possible? Because sometimes it hangs before getting to language selection screen and then I get "disk1s2: media not present"

Extra.zip