Yosemite on Inspiron 1720 with NVidia

griftopia

Yes, I checked my PM, but what you are saying is a little difficult. I'm building my USB on a latitude e6500 with Yosemite 10.10.5

By the way, if I use kexts from the svn trunk (of course they are not the same kexts exactly since file sizes are different), then i do not get the permissions errors. I only get them on the kexts from D630 pack. Regardless, symptom at the end is the same. It starts installing and it freezes.

Also, I know I have permission errors, but I'm executing the commands the guides and you provided. Why are the permissions not getting fixed? Basically I seem to need D630 texts, but with those I can't get rid of the permission errors and therefore I cannot ever verify what is right or wrong.

Maybe I will try another laptop and come back to this one latter. I have a similar looking Dell Vostro.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys you won't believe this. My problem was faulty memory module.  :oops:

So I replaced one of the module, and then used those 4 kexts with D630 pack and NO dsdt and worked!!! How much time I wasted...

I have 10.10.5 installed now.  Will update this post as I get things working. First thing I need is to be able to boot without USB, then patching AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement so I can get rid of NullCPUPowerManagement, then fix Ethernet. I know my Wi-fi card is not compatible and will purchase one that is.

Would appreciate if anyone can start me off with why I can't boot off the hard drive.

Working

- Restart (surprised)

- Bluetooth (didn't need any kext)

- Sound (installed VoodooHDA manually)

- Volume Up/Down/Mute buttons (I guess because of Voodoo)

- Ethernet (installed AppleBCM440XEthernet using KextWizard)

Not Working

- Sleep (not surprised)

- Shutdown (not surprised)

- Boot directly from Hard Drive (Big Problem)

- Volume seems to start from 50% (huh?)

- Arrow Keys, PgUp, PgDown keys (what a nuisance)

Oh, I thought I needed to patch AICPUM kext and then remove NCPUPM since my reading of forums suggested it always breaks all power management functions.

I think you meant hibernate not hidernate. Just checking, and might this also solve my shutdown issue - screen blanks but laptop will not turn off?

Okay default setting for hibernatemode was 3. I changed it to 0. No dice.
Googled. learnt DSDT might be issue. Simply dropped my DSDT into Extra folder. Sleep working. What's more? I can also boot of hard drive. I haven't reverted to latest FakeSMC, but still kept the D630 tuned one.

So what stopped working? Battery Status. It disappeared. In System Preferences I see check box disabled. I enable it and I see battery indicator flash on top bar, but then disappears, and check box gets disabled by itself. Huh ??? 

Looked at D630 pack. Saw ACPIBatteryManager. A-ha. Installed. Battery Status working.

Shutdown not working. But wait, Restart stopped working too....huh. Will try patching AICPUM. Can I use this one?
https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7853-vanilla-and-patched-yosemite-kernels-patched-aicpupm-kexts/

Or should I play with my DSDT?

• Administrators

You do not need the patched AICPUPM kext on a C2D system. The patched kext is only to avoid the CPU power management issue (Kernel Panic) related to BIOS-locked MSR register on Sandy/Ivy Bridge systems. It'll not change anything for your apparent Shutdown/Restart issue for which you may have to implement a DSDT patch.

As stated before, all you need for proper/native CPU power management is:

• the correctly tuned FakeSMC kext (which you now have)
  • the proper SMBIOS profile (which you now have)
  • C States + P States generation enabled in bootloader config (which you should have enabled by now)
  • no NullCPUPM (get rid of it if still  in use)

Copy that! 4 out of 4 above. I removed NULLCPUPM

Sleep works. Restart WORKS !!!  :-P

Major Item : Shutdown will not Power off laptop. 

Minor Items: Numlock key power light is NOT on, but laptop behaves like it is, Windows Key not mapped to Apple Key BUT Alt Key (is this normal)? 

I thought I had SHUTDOWN patch applied to my DSDT, but I will verify again. If you have any suggestions for my keyboard issue. For my e6500 I found a "module" directory in my Extra Folder that made my keys work correctly. Not sure if I need something similar.

PS - I cannot thank all of you enough. When I did my e6500 things just worked. With this laptop, I have learnt so much and gained confidence to try other laptops.

• Administrators

There exist several DSDT patches for computer shutdown: some for laptops, some for desktops. I guess you'll have to try a few before you catch the correct one. Or maybe it's one of the patches you applied if you went back to your own patched DSDT...

For keyboard remapping or keys swap-out, you can either use the basic but functional built-in facility of OS X (Hackintosh forum are no alternative to OS X user manual or "xxx for dummies" guides). You can also Search the forum on this as it's been covered for many years with details of existing tools (eg: Chameleon modules, Ukelele, DoubleCommand, etc.). I'm sure you'll quickly find the proper forum sub-section for that.

So these are my outstanding issues right now

1) Shutdown does not kill power to laptop - I can live with that

2) Keyboard layout - I have searched hi and lo on the forums but cannot seem to find what I need. Will keep looking and is my top priority right now

3) SD Card - Just discovered not working. Tried VoodooSDHC, no luck. Tried IOSDHCIBlockDevice, no luck. Not sure there is any other kext to try.

Some day I hope to find solution to 2. I think I might I might have to switch to VoodooPS2Controller, since every dsdt patch i have attempted has not yielded any result, nor has any keyboard.dylib. 1 and 3 I can learn to live without.

PS Wireless Card inserted DW1505 and works OOTB :-)

In few days I will post final DSDT and kexts, maybe it will help someone. Meanwhile I will begin with another laptop.

Thanks all.