D630 OS X Lion Install Guide

seb3

• Administrators

You need to understand that you're doing the complete opposite of what you seek! True, on a D630, you do not need nullCPUPowerManagement or SleepEnabler.

However, if you do not use PState, your CPU will be stuck at its lowest speed, i.e. 600MHz. You may not trust me of course, so do run HWmonitor and look at the CPU speed as you run things in the background and tell me you see it change!

PState not only handles SpeedStep, it also regulates voltage. Use it, even if at fixed maximum speed!

Native SpeedStep is something we've not worked on for these D Series yet.

Hmm, I've looked into S/L/E in my SL installation and found out I have installed nullCPUPowerManagement and SleepEnabler.kext from somewhere else. I've checked with HWMonitor and my cpu is at 2189Mhz constantly and the voltage 1.36V. What I want is move this stability to Lion installation. I don't want native speedstep, I don't want it at all. Just want to run my CPU at max speed. How can I achieve that on Lion? Is it possible and if it is, what will be the culprits? For example when back from sleep will my laptop shuts down prematurely? Because that is the only problem right now on my Lion installation. I understand you've worked out all issues with your hard work, and I don't disregarding your work done so far. I appreciate it.

Thanks a million for this great forum and awesome EDP idea and execution :)

• Administrators

Even in SL, unless you have some specific tool to keep CPU speed constant, your CPU will always use SpeedStep (unless disabled in BIOS and therefore running at lowest possible speed). That's just the way Intel CPU have been running for nearly 10years! Go tell Intel that "you don't want it all"...

So, again (and I hope it'll be clear enough now), regardless of nullCPUPowerManagement + SleepEnabler, you need something like PState to either run SpeedStep dynamically or fix you CPU speed to any given available frequency. If, for some, reason, you don't like PState, then look for something else, whether another tool or another fancy way to block CPU speed at its max.

End of story.

OK then, I don't have any tool that runs my CPU at max speed all the time but my SL installation (I am not sure but I don't run anything in background) (it is not a generic installation I have to admit that because I found some extensions those are not from EDP).

And you cleared all things in my mind. Just one last thing. With Pstate you don't mean just the app right? I will try voodooPstate.kext (don't remember the exact name) If I can't succeed I will firmly hug my SL installation :D

Thanks for your patient and kind support. I hope I didn't annoy you too much :)

hello
I write from France and my English is not very good
I have a Dell D630 with Intel X3100 video card and I want to install OSX Lion.
I followed the procedure described here, at the beginning of the guide

I made a USB key without problem.
But then when do I start with the USB key, I'm stuck with the following messages:

(.........)

Mac framework successfully intialised

using 10485 buffer ......

Current tsc from rdtsc64 ......

VoodooTSCSync ....

IOAPIC : version 0x20 vector ...

ACPI : system state (S0 S3 S4 S5)

PFM64 (36 CPU) 0xf1000000 ......

( PCI configuration begin )

and everything is blocked here

With Mountain Lion, I have no problem to start with the USB key. But I do not want to use Mountain Lion since then I have other problems (eg EDP unusable)

Do you have any idea ?

Thank

• Administrators

The guide from p1 of this thread should be considered obsolete. Use the guide detailed in the EDP pages of our seb site (click on EDP tab at the vey top of this window). We also have a guide to install and run ML on D630 X3100. And it's fully compatible with our EDP package.

In a nutshell, whether for Lion of ML:

- prepare your myHack installer with your downloaded Mac OS installation app + OSXL bootpack

- install Mac OS X

- after 1st reboot, download and install EDP

- do an EDP System Build for your specific D630 model

Thats it. You may only proceed with some manual tuning if you have a wireless card like a DW1395 or any other one that is not natively supported by OS X and not covered by EDP. Apart from that, nothing else to do really.

Thank Herve

But in September 2012, you said :

"No Mountain Lion for Intel GMA models. Those GPU are not supported, so no acceleration and bad performance."

My D630 has a video card X3100 (Intel)

So I think it is best to install the Lion than Mountain Lion