Mountain Lion anyone?

Darvinko

Looks like I might be one of those effected by wireless and 10.8.4

E6500

DW1510 wireless

I can connect to open wireless and WEP but anything higher immediatly returns a "Connection Timeout Occured"

My main AP is WPA2.

IO80211Family shows Build Version 41 short version 3.1.2

EDIT:

OK I got it working.

I had to remove IO80211Family from E/E and S/L/E

ran myFix

reinstalled the Combo Update

removed the ACPI kext - ran myFix

Rebooted and now all is well.

Thank you for the suggestions

-------------------------------------

I removed IO80211Family from E/E as well as S/L/E

dropped the OOB into S/L/E - myFix, reboot

dropped the IO80211Family from the first post in E/E - myFix, reboot

dropped the latest IO80211Family based off 10.8.4 in E/E - myFix, reboot

All result in the same thing.

Wireless connects to open networks and WEP fine

WPA/WPA2 both immediatly return with "Connection Timed Out"

System.Log shows this when it's connecting:

Jun 17 11:01:41 localhost kernel[0]: AirPort: Link Down on en1. Reason 8 (Disassociated because station leaving).
Jun 17 11:01:41 localhost kernel[0]: en1::IO80211Interface::postMessage bssid changed
Jun 17 11:01:41 localhost configd[17]: network changed: v4(en0:169.254.144.53, en1-:192.168.1.111) DNS- Proxy! SMB
Jun 17 11:01:41 macbookpro-0024e8c9ce36.local configd[17]: setting hostname to "macbookpro-0024e8c9ce36.local"
Jun 17 11:01:42 macbookpro-0024e8c9ce36.local blued[55]: kBTXPCUpdateUserPreferences gConsoleUserUID = 501

lscpi dumps this info on the card:

0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1510 Wireless-N WLAN Mini-Card
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
    Memory at f1ffc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
    Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
    Capabilities: [58] Vendor Specific Information <?>
    Capabilities: [e8] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable+
    Capabilities: [d0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
    Capabilities: [100] #14e4

• Administrators

You should not touch S/L/E except for the removal of the ACPI kext. Leave the IO80211 untouched in there, only the patched kext from /E/E is to be removed.

This being said, I read that those who have the DW1510 working properly appear to have a rebranded version. I don't have the details as far as this rebranding is concerned, but it's possibly something that makes the card appear as an "Airport Extreme" or something like that instead of the 3rd party card. How is your DW1510 reported in System Preferences?

We need to get details of that rebranding process from the people who did it. Apologies, I'm totally ignorant on that particular matter.

You should not touch S/L/E except for the removal of the ACPI kext. Leave the IO80211 untouched in there, only the patched kext from /E/E is to be removed.

This being said, I read that those who have the DW1510 working properly appear to have a rebranded version. I don't have the details as far as this rebranding is concerned, but it's possibly something that makes the card appear as an "Airport Extreme" or something like that instead of the 3rd party card. How is your DW1510 reported in System Preferences?

We need to get details of that rebranding process from the people who did it. Apologies, I'm totally ignorant on that particular matter.

I've not had an issue with either the branded or non-branded card, but I also do not have the IO80211 kext in E/E, only S/L/E. As a result of testing the cards, I currently have an unbranded Dell DW1510 (recognized in System Report as "Third-Party Wireless Card"), and with WPA2 Personal (AES) encryption without any issues resulting from the 10.8.4 update. For anyone interested in rebranding, read Leon's article here: http://www.osxlatitude.com/rebranding-broadcom-802-11abgn-cards-as-airport-extreme/  NOTES: I was able to do it using Ubuntu 12.04, the URL to get the b43-tools is corrected in Leon's post, if you should use Prasys' blog, please note that is an old location which has been depricated

• Administrators

Great that you could confirm the DW1510 works OOB (as expected) and with various encryption method whether rebranded or not.

@desterly, in that case, make sure you re-instated the original IO80211 kext in /S/L/E ok and that your cache was properly rebuilt after running myFix (full). Check the kextcache file timestamping in /S/L/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup.

Mine is currently working 100% without rebranding.

I'm not sure what I did when I tried the first round and it didn't work.  I'm guessing the wrong kext or the cache didn't rebuild properly.

The only other thing I did differently is when I updated to 10.8.4 I used the update in the store not the combo update.  Initially I assumed these were the same however the one over the store did not drop in the ACPI kext but the combo update did.  Perhaps that is only an incremental update and for somereason didn't drop in the correct IO80211 kext.

@desterly, my apologies, the guide was created almost a year ago (at the time ML was just being made available to the public), and was the solution (placing the modified IO80211.kext in E/E) a member indicated worked when they were unable to connect to WiFi. I did not have the issue, but placed it in the guide for others who may have experienced the issue (which may have included you?). Obviously this created issues at the 10.8.4 update. I appreciate being made aware of it and the explanation of your work-around, which will help others that may encounter the issue.

Great that you could confirm the DW1510 works OOB (as expected) and with various encryption method whether rebranded or not.

@desterly, in that case, make sure you re-instated the original IO80211 kext in /S/L/E ok and that your cache was properly rebuilt after running myFix (full). Check the kextcache file timestamping in /S/L/Caches/apple.kext.com.caches/Startup.

This was documented by JakeLo's post in the other thread.

In desterly's case it appears to be an anomaly caused by the modified IO80211.kext placed in E/E to correct an earlier WiFi issue.

No worries. If I recall when I first installed with 10.8.2 I did need it.

Hopefully if others have an issue the above will work for them as well

@desterly, my apologies, the guide was created almost a year ago (at the time ML was just being made available to the public), and was the solution (placing the modified IO80211.kext in E/E) a member indicated worked when they were unable to connect to WiFi. I did not have the issue, but placed it in the guide for others who may have experienced the issue (which may have included you?). Obviously this created issues at the 10.8.4 update. I appreciate being made aware of it and the explanation of your work-around, which will help others that may encounter the issue.