Dell D630 Mountain Lion Install Guide

seb43654

I have a problem with my dualboot ML+ win7. I just made clean ML and kept old win7 install as it was. Everything went well and I managed to install ML easily but now I am not able to boot in ML directly from sdd. Windows 7 works perfect and I am able to boot in through chameleon located sdd. With usb osx install disk I am also able to boot in my to my ML.

I can't figure out what is the problem. Probably some partition problem etc.?

After ML installation I had to set ML partiton active because I got win7 partition active and it booted directly to win7. I managed to change active partition to ML but still no success... ML is trying to start but right before login screen should appear computer restart itself. And booting up through usb install disk everything works like a charm!

diskutil list:

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *115.0 GB disk0

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS OSX ML 41.0 GB disk0s2

3: Microsoft Basic Data Windows 7 73.7 GB disk0s3

fdisk partition list:

Disk: /dev/rdisk0 geometry: 13985/255/63 [224674128 sectors]

Offset: 0 Signature: 0xAA55

Starting Ending

#: id cyl hd sec - cyl hd sec [ start - size]

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1: EE 1023 254 63 - 1023 254 63 [ 1 - 409639] <Unknown ID>

*2: AF 25 127 15 - 1023 254 63 [ 409640 - 80074176] HFS+

3: 07 1023 254 63 - 1023 254 63 [ 80746496 - 143927296] HPFS/QNX/AUX

4: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused

Any help would be appreciated!

I have a problem with my dualboot ML+ win7. I just made clean ML and kept old win7 install as it was. Everything went well and I managed to install ML easily but now I am not able to boot in ML directly from sdd. Windows 7 works perfect and I am able to boot in through chameleon located sdd. With usb osx install disk I am also able to boot in my to my ML.

I can't figure out what is the problem. Probably some partition problem etc.?

After ML installation I had to set ML partiton active because I got win7 partition active and it booted directly to win7. I managed to change active partition to ML but still no success... ML is trying to start but right before login screen should appear computer restart itself. And booting up through usb install disk everything works like a charm!

diskutil list:

/dev/disk0

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

fdisk partition list:

Disk: /dev/rdisk0 geometry: 13985/255/63 [224674128 sectors]

Offset: 0 Signature: 0xAA55

Starting Ending

#: id cyl hd sec - cyl hd sec [ start - size]

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1: EE 1023 254 63 - 1023 254 63 [ 1 - 409639] <Unknown ID>

*2: AF 25 127 15 - 1023 254 63 [ 409640 - 80074176] HFS+

3: 07 1023 254 63 - 1023 254 63 [ 80746496 - 143927296] HPFS/QNX/AUX

4: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused

Any help would be appreciated!

I dont completely understand - when you boot up what the first thing you get to?

1: Is it the windows boot manager

2: Or is it the chameleon bootloader

If its number one:

First go into windows startup recovery, and reinstall the windows bootloader

Boot into windows and set system reserved as the active partition (its the one that has the bootloader on)

Download easy bcd and add a mac os x boot entry to the bootloader startup screen

If it is number two (more likely)

Boot into OSX ML with your USB stick, and install champlist

Run it on your partition with OS X/EFI and re-install chameleon with the latest one

With champlist, browse to your EFI partition and check it is bootable [has boot file and extra folder]

make sure your info.plist settings are correct

try and boot ML normally.

Hope this helped, good luck!

Seb

I dont completely understand - when you boot up what the first thing you get to?

1: Is it the windows boot manager

2: Or is it the chameleon bootloader

If its number one:

First go into windows startup recovery, and reinstall the windows bootloader

Boot into windows and set system reserved as the active partition (its the one that has the bootloader on)

Download easy bcd and add a mac os x boot entry to the bootloader startup screen

If it is number two (more likely)

Boot into OSX ML with your USB stick, and install champlist

Run it on your partition with OS X/EFI and re-install chameleon with the latest one

With champlist, browse to your EFI partition and check it is bootable [has boot file and extra folder]

make sure your info.plist settings are correct

try and boot ML normally.

Hope this helped, good luck!

Seb

Thanks for your prompt reply Seb!

Sorry if I was unclear but like you guess things are going like in choice 2. I got chameleon bootloader starting after I changed my ML partition active. Before that Windows started automatically. Windows works like a charm through chameleon and I can choose ML but it won't start. Computer restart just before login screen should appear.

I tried to use Champlist but right after I start it it says that I don't have Chameleon installed and wants to install it. But installation doesn't work. It gives an error that installation could not be completed to this partition because it has unknown partition table?

What should I try next?

-samp0

A small success by changing EFI partition to active. This way I am now able to boot to ML but now win7 wont boot :(

So still no fully working system and help needed...

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1 ***THIS IS ACTIVE NOW***

*edit*

Got system working with these instructions. Followed those and everything is working finally! Champlist still says that I don't have Chameleon installed... Strange thing because I got now working dualboot through chameleon.

i have the intel x3100 gpu, so i am hoping this will still work for me, but before i do try this retail install will i be greeted with a chameleon bootloader and have the option to boot into my xp installation?

i am currently dual booting between fedora 17 and xp, but fedora in my opinion just sucks to use.

also had to make an account just because this post is so great and detailed, so i had to say thanks!

edit:

did some further reading, seems i cannot join the mountain lion club lol

guess i will be using this guide to assist in installing lion.

i have the intel x3100 gpu, so i am hoping this will still work for me, but before i do try this retail install will i be greeted with a chameleon bootloader and have the option to boot into my xp installation?

i am currently dual booting between fedora 17 and xp, but fedora in my opinion just sucks to use.

also had to make an account just because this post is so great and detailed, so i had to say thanks!

edit:

did some further reading, seems i cannot join the mountain lion club lol

guess i will be using this guide to assist in installing lion.

Hi,

Glad you found the guide good! Yes due to the intel graphics which requires a 32-bit kext and ML is 64-bit only so it wont work.

Lion works just fine, and I honestly dont really use any of the new features in ML, I just like always being completely up-to-date :)

Seb

Make sure you have the correct bios settings, and have applied the correct bootpack onto your installation media.

Seb

I have following settings:

HDD set to AHCI mode

- Dynamic Acceleration Disabled

- Multicore Enabled

- SpeedStep enabled

Also I have tried to use the hard disk of one of my same specs laptop in this laptop but it keeps on restarting after loader finishes blue progress bar.