Dell D630 Mountain Lion Install Guide

seb43654

YES.... :D :D :D Followed your guide probably 3 times, but it is easy to miss something. But taking it one step at a time made it worked. I tricked the app store into DLing Mountain Lion from my previous install of Lion on my D630 as it initially said ML could not be installed on this PC.

It's working :rolleyes: Mountain Lion 10.8.2

Issues:

1. Won't boot without the USB stick and starting with arch=x86_64. I did edit the com.apple.boot.plist with kernel info but still it won't start without the USB.

2. Screensaver just displays white screen, and my resolution is only 1024x768. I can see the screensaver from System Preferences and Preview does work.

3. WiFi doesn't work but that's only cause it's an Intel-4965. I think I have one that will work, but Yukon works fine.

Current config is:

Processor: 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 2.5 GB 667Mhz DDR1 SDRAM

Graphics: Intel GMA X3100

HDD: 160G

I did run EDP using the D630 - x3100 - 1280x1024.

Thank you for the guide as it's the only one that got me going. Tnx

• Administrators

Again, there is no support for Intel GMA950 or Crestline X3100 in Mountain Lion. Apple dropped those. That's why you will not get max resolution and no hardware acceleration. There is little point on running ML on such models, it's much better to stick to Lion.

Tnx for that reply Herve. I figured it would be difficult, but I'm glad I was at least able to get it to boot. I do have an XPS M1530 that I'll be putting ML on as soon as I get a new MB for it. Seems my Nvidia fix has finally failed so as soon as that comes it I'll put this D630 back to Lion and use the M1530 for ML.

Again thank you for a great guide. And all your hard work.

Do not use distros like the one you mention; we do not support that here. Use a legitimate copy of Mac OS X. You won't be able to use a regular DVD to create a myHack installation media, you need an external HDD or a USB key, all with 8Go minimum. Intel Wireless cards are not supported under Mac OS X, you'll need to revert to Broadcom unit.

Ok I will use one of my many external HDD's then. I have a slew of different WiFi cards, mini-pci intel 5100, 3945, the broadcom that I believe came in this D630, but what about a broadcom based card thats usb? That would be the best option so if I dual boot ArchLinux with OSX I will have wifi either way.

:) must apologize, because I managed to install a Mountain Lion. I immediately found the instructions for the installation, as I held the old. When I found a newer installation is over. Thanks to everyone who made ​​the effort and allow us to use the benefits of OS X on PC machines.

For now, just after the installation is all about.

Follow donations. Once again a big thank you! Skorpio :D

Well I aint having much luck making the install media using myHack. Using latest 3.1.2, and it always flakes out somewhere. Im running OSX in VMware player allocating it 2.5GB of memory and both my cores, so it should have plenty of resources for doing this. Usually myHack with seemingly freeze after copying the base system files and then going on to the next step it just never transfers anything and I will wait 30min or so and it never does anything. Or this last time it froze like 1/4 of transfering the base system files to my external drive. Not sure what the deal is.

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.

According to myHack's own guide on their site, it is supposed to work from a VM. It's right in the first part of their guide here: http://myhack.sojugarden.com/guide/

I'm not familiar with Nawcom ModCD/ModUSB, im looking into it now but a bit confused. If any of you could provide some more info on this method, that'd be great. :)

Edit1:From reading what Nawcoms ModCD does, I don't get why I would use that in my case, but I will wait for someone with more knowledge to chime in.

Edit2: I guess install Snow Leopard or an earlier version using ModCD and a retail DVD, then use THAT install to make my myHack installer on my external drive?