Dell D630 Mountain Lion Install Guide

seb43654

Awesome post! Everything is going well, the USB boots quickly but then during the installation, after I finish answering the myHack questions the machine freezes with "About a minute" for time remaining. No mouse, no keyboard - just sits there. It did it last night while I was playing around with it so I let it hang out for a bit, but then rebooted and it failed to come up at all (just froze) - so I tried again this morning with the same results. Any thoughts on this one?

• Administrators

A quick update with my own experience at installing ML:

- installation using EDP method is easy and smooth (used EDP v4-r7)

- no keyboard or trackpad to start with so USB accessories are required, but they're active with EDP-provided ANV-Slice kexts

- update to 10.8.1 does return error/failure messages, but update appears effective nonetheless!

- reboot requests usually only close session (but it did reboot... ONCE! :D )

- shutdown requests often take a long long time

- top menu bar would not always display until an application was launched

- no SMBIOS.plist with nVidia Quadro 135m available (so nVidia GeForce 8400 displayed instead - trivial)

This was the initial status with BIOS A13. Since updating to A17, I've noticed 2 improvements that I don't really explain by BIOS update:

- top menu bar now always appears at end of startup

- slow shutdowns appear less regular than before (1 out of 4 v. quasi-systematic before)

To me, the laptop feels a bit quicker than with Lion, but maybe I'm biaised and overwhelmed by ML happiness! ;)

Got the D630 booted with this Extra package posted on the first post. The install failed as expected. I didn't have to use a USB Keyboard/mouse although most people here did.

The few things I noticed:

1) Wifi isn't working at all (any fixes for this?)

2) Scrolling works but is super sensitive, also if I push down too hard on the trackpad it stops working (probably because it thinks I am scrolling) :mellow:

3) I can't get EDP installed (because it needs internet access)

It boots up pretty fast, and I have noticed some of the shutdown issues mentioned here before. Everything else looks pretty smooth so far, any help wrapping up the internet issue would be helpful!

Thanks!!

This is on a D630 Nvidia 4 gigs of RAM

Got the D630 booted with this Extra package posted on the first post. The install failed as expected. I didn't have to use a USB Keyboard/mouse although most people here did.

2) Scrolling works but is super sensitive, also if I push down too hard on the trackpad it stops working (probably because it thinks I am scrolling) :mellow:

It boots up pretty fast, and I have noticed some of the shutdown issues mentioned here before. Everything else looks pretty smooth so far, any help wrapping up the internet issue would be helpful!

Thanks!!

What wifi card do you have? I think the standard install only works with a few cards, and if it's an Intel wireless card I think you're out of luck. I could be wrong there, but I think that's what I've seen on other threads here.

Thanks!!

Found the fix for Wifi - needed the IOFamily kext for this machine - this is working.

Got EDP installed and configured.

Rebooting and testing - will update again tomorrow with any new finds, but so far it looks great! Nice job on this!

• Administrators

Re: Wifi cards, I think it works straight away with DW1390 and DW1490 models. DW1395 requires specific Broadcom kexts or modified IOFamily/80211 kext (can't remember its exact name, but there's a thread about it here, somewhere).

Re: Wifi cards, I think it works straight away with DW1390 and DW1490 models. DW1395 requires specific Broadcom kexts or modified IOFamily/80211 kext (can't remember its exact name, but there's a thread about it here, somewhere).

Yes - I have a 1390 card and it worked otb with mountain lion. There is a modified IOFamily/80211 supplied with my lion install guide for the D630 which I found works well.

Seb