Dell D630 Mountain Lion Install Guide

seb43654

• Administrators

edp will replace the files again with it's internal file... the graphics naming is cosmetic. if you wish you can just replace the dsdt but if you redo the model config it will again replace it. whats the difference between the dsdt's ?

I reckon you should delete you whole extra folder, and replace it with the one I supplied with this tutorial, because we know that works. Then re install edp and see how it goes.

A reflow just heats up the solder balls, and joins the cracked connections. A reball involves completely removing the BGA chip and replacing all the little solder balls with new ones, and then putting it back on the board. It requires alot of skill, and expensive equipment that most dont have.

Seb

Replacing the Extra folder with the one you supplied, followed by an EDP reinstall, did not restore the video chip identification back to NVS 135M. It looks like the current version of EDP(4.2.1)installs its own DSDT which changes the video chip ID to "Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS". I don't know if it actually makes any functional change to the video driver - it could be just an erroneous model ID name change. I went ahead and replaced that EDP installed DSDT with the one in your download, did a MyFix/reboot and now System Information properly shows "Nvidia NVS 135M". Have not noticed a change in functionality of anything else (yet).

edp will replace the files again with it's internal file... the graphics naming is cosmetic. if you wish you can just replace the dsdt but if you redo the model config it will again replace it. whats the difference between the dsdt's ?

Doing just a quick visual compare between the two DSDT's using DSDTSE, you are right, it looks like just the graphics naming is different. All other AGP entries look the same.

There is also an obvious difference in the Sound HDEF area. SEB's DSDT includes details for the SigmaTel STAC9205 audio chip with reference to "Voodoo HDA Device". The EDP DSDT's Sound HDEF area looks more generic. The codec parameters in the two DSDT's are not the same.

There may be other differences. Is there a better tool than DSDTSE to more easily compare two DSDT files?

Hi,

I think I may have found out why it showed up as a 8400. I was using edp version 424, and the dsdt file is different from the latest version of edp. Thats why when you used my older dsdt, it showed up correctly.

Seb

Hello,

which one Extra folder is recommended use for instalation?

- Extra from 1'st page this thread

or

- Extra bootpack from main page E.D.P/Bootpacks

Thanks.

The bootpack that I have included is very similar to the one provided. It does have an older ACPI kext from snow leopard though that seemes to fix it from halting at ACPI system state. I wll have a look later on, and email the updated one so it can be put into the edp.

Seb

So this is my first post. I have successfully installed Lion 10.7.4 and now Mountain Lion 10.8.1. The one thing that is and has been a problem is the audio. Always after a reboot I need to go into Midi Audio setting and change the Mic and Speakers back to 44100.0 Hz and 2ch-16bit. They always reset to 192000 and 2ch-24bit which causes crackling in the sound. Anyone have a step by step to fix this problem? Is there a way to make the changed setting stick?

Thanks, Gary

I followed this guide on my D630 NVidia, and it went pretty smoothly; thanks for all the hard work. I only have 2 questions, though: is it possible to get the digital outputs working on the D-Port/D-Dock (S/PDIF & IEC958), and has anyone else gotten FireWire audio devices working? AppleFWAudio.kext gives me a link error when I try to load it, so I can't use my Focusrite Saffire.

I was able to successfully run the 10.8.1 updater, too, though it gave me an update failed message.