Dell D630 Mountain Lion Install Guide

seb43654

I am new for this blog and totally no idea about installation of MAC OS . So please can any one guide me the in detail instruction to setup Mountain Lion in my Dell D630 Lap with 2GB of RAM n C2D processor.

Thank u.

I am new for this blog and totally no idea about installation of MAC OS . So please can any one guide me the in detail instruction to setup Mountain Lion in my Dell D630 Lap with 2GB of RAM n C2D processor.

Thank u.

Yes, just follow this guide and let me know if you have any problems on the way, it is pretty simple to install Mountain Lion Though!

Seb

Update to the latest bios (A11 i think) also, the bootpack I provide with this tutorial should already have the old AppleACPIPlatform.kext included in it.

If you get stuck on the PCI Configuration Begin please go back to my OS X Lion guide, where I adress the problem with updating to 10.7.4 and include a download with a few kexts that fix that problem.

Hope you get it working!

Seb

i'm seeing a17... i hope this isn't a mistake by updating, you have a link to you 10.7.3 to 10.7.4 guide? im sure i'll find it, just sick and lazy of not finishing this project once and for all =) hehehehe

i'm seeing a17... i hope this isn't a mistake by updating, you have a link to you 10.7.3 to 10.7.4 guide? im sure i'll find it, just sick and lazy of not finishing this project once and for all =) hehehehe

Yes A17 is the latest one, update to that.

Here is a link to my guide: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1515-d630-os-x-lion-install-guide/

Thanks so much for this great guide and pre-loaded Extras folder!!

Everything seems to be working really well except the wired ethernet becomes disabled after the machine wakes from sleep. Only a complete reboot seems to bring it back. WiFi does not exhibit this behavior.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much for this great guide and pre-loaded Extras folder!!

Everything seems to be working really well except the wired ethernet becomes disabled after the machine wakes from sleep. Only a complete reboot seems to bring it back. WiFi does not exhibit this behavior.

Any ideas?

Glad you got Mountain Lio working! Yes, I am aware that ehternet and bluetooth and microphone dont wokr after sleep, but I cant really complain.

Atleast the laptop CAN actually sleep, these are only a few issues i think we will have to put up with when running mac on unsupported hardware.

Seb

Glad you got Mountain Lio working! Yes, I am aware that ehternet and bluetooth and microphone dont wokr after sleep, but I cant really complain.

Atleast the laptop CAN actually sleep, these are only a few issues i think we will have to put up with when running mac on unsupported hardware.

Seb

Glad to hear that it is a known issue. Just wanted to make sure that my install was correct.

I don't seem to have a problem with the microphone. Seems to work fine after sleep/wake.

Just verified that Bluetooth does have the problem though.

One other thing that is odd. System information shows my video card as "NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS".

I thought that, at one point, it correctly showed the video chipset as an "NVIDIA NVS 135M" (maybe before I did an automatic software update to OS 10.8.1?).

It also shows the computer model as a "Macbook3,1" with a processor speed of 2.01 GHz. The actual processor is a T7500 with a clock speed of 2.2 GHz. Could it just be reporting a closest match to actual Apple hardware?

BTW, last week I experienced the well known (and dreaded) Nvidia chip thermal failure. Did the motherboard baking trick and, to my absolute surprise, worked great. It is actually really easy to do with the help of some YouTube disassembly videos. Took just a few hours and gave me the opportunity to improve the heatsink coupling to the chips. The GPU idle temps are now between 52C and 57C (idle temp was running at about 70C before the fix).

Glad to hear that it is a known issue. Just wanted to make sure that my install was correct.

I don't seem to have a problem with the microphone. Seems to work fine after sleep/wake.

Just verified that Bluetooth does have the problem though.

One other thing that is odd. System information shows my video card as "NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS".

I thought that, at one point, it correctly showed the video chipset as an "NVIDIA NVS 135M" (maybe before I did an automatic software update to OS 10.8.1?).

It also shows the computer model as a "Macbook3,1" with a processor speed of 2.01 GHz. The actual processor is a T7500 with a clock speed of 2.2 GHz. Could it just be reporting a closest match to actual Apple hardware?

BTW, last week I experienced the well known (and dreaded) Nvidia chip thermal failure. Did the motherboard baking trick and, to my absolute surprise, worked great. It is actually really easy to do with the help of some YouTube disassembly videos. Took just a few hours and gave me the opportunity to improve the heatsink coupling to the chips. The GPU idle temps are now between 52C and 57C (idle temp was running at about 70C before the fix).

Hi, the 10.8.1. update does NOTHING at all to kext or system configuration files, it just fixes files so it shouldn't be affected by that. Make sure you have the correct bios settings: speedstep enabled, hyper threading and multicore but dynamic acceleration OFF. Macbook 3,1 is the system definition that works best with Latitudes, i dont think it will affect the specs. Make sure you havent chosen the intel version of the D630, and try re-running edp. After you have done that, run a myfix full and reboot.

Yes I have heard of that gpu problem (I actually repair laptops for people and do reflows on laptop motherboards quite frequently). am sorry to tell you though that a reflow will not be permanent - it will probably last no more than 2/3 years at the most. A reball is the best option. Make sure you have the new all-copper heatsink which is superior to the older one. Also, I have put 2 thermal pads (actually taken from an xbox 360) on the 2 memory chips for the GPU to cool them further. Try doing a stress test on the machine. Then touch the heatsink. My general rule is if you cant hold your hand on the heatsink for 10 seconds, its running too hot. Before I put mac os x on, i had vista on the laptop, and the gpu was around 50-60 for me, so I reckon your good. I had to get the dedicated nvidia model becuase I do alot of cad/3d animation which is what the quadro chips are actually optimised for (they arent great for games though). Anything is better than intergrated though....

Hope this helped,

Seb

Hi, the 10.8.1. update does NOTHING at all to kext or system configuration files, it just fixes files so it shouldn't be affected by that. Make sure you have the correct bios settings: speedstep enabled, hyper threading and multicore but dynamic acceleration OFF. Macbook 3,1 is the system definition that works best with Latitudes, i dont think it will affect the specs. Make sure you havent chosen the intel version of the D630, and try re-running edp. After you have done that, run a myfix full and reboot.

Yes I have heard of that gpu problem (I actually repair laptops for people and do reflows on laptop motherboards quite frequently). am sorry to tell you though that a reflow will not be permanent - it will probably last no more than 2/3 years at the most. A reball is the best option. Make sure you have the new all-copper heatsink which is superior to the older one. Also, I have put 2 thermal pads (actually taken from an xbox 360) on the 2 memory chips for the GPU to cool them further. Try doing a stress test on the machine. Then touch the heatsink. My general rule is if you cant hold your hand on the heatsink for 10 seconds, its running too hot. Before I put mac os x on, i had vista on the laptop, and the gpu was around 50-60 for me, so I reckon your good. I had to get the dedicated nvidia model becuase I do alot of cad/3d animation which is what the quadro chips are actually optimised for (they arent great for games though). Anything is better than intergrated though....

Hope this helped,

Seb

Dynamic acceleration was on in the Bios. Turning it off and re-running EDP/Myfix solved the reported CPU clock rate issue but the video chipset still shows an NVidia 8400. It looks like this is set in the DSDT.aml file. Searching the content of the one that is currently in the "Extra" folder lists the NVidia 8400 while the one in your supplied DSDT.aml file properly lists the NVidia 135. I wonder if the running of EDP (with options 1,9) caused the DSDT.aml file to be replaced or modified? Can (should) I replace the current DSDT.aml file with the one that you supplied?

Thanks for the info on the GPU problem. I did know that the reflow trick is a temporary fix. My understanding is that the chip packaging design is fundamentally problematic (possible combination of high lead chip pad solder bumps vs eutectic substrate pad solder bumps, poor underfill material characteristics, chip pad placement vs thermal hot spot locations, etc.). What do you mean by doing a "reball"?

My D630 already had the later copper heatsink. The thermal compound that Dell used had failed (hardened, cracked, partially flaked off). Also, the GPU had a copper shim (in addition to the thermal pad) that had slipped halfway off the chip top, preventing full contact with the heatsink. I cleaned off and replaced all of the old thermal compound with Arctic Silver 5 and relocated the shim.

Dynamic acceleration was on in the Bios. Turning it off and re-running EDP/Myfix solved the reported CPU clock rate issue but the video chipset still shows an NVidia 8400. It looks like this is set in the DSDT.aml file. Searching the content of the one that is currently in the "Extra" folder lists the NVidia 8400 while the one in your supplied DSDT.aml file properly lists the NVidia 135. I wonder if the running of EDP (with options 1,9) caused the DSDT.aml file to be replaced or modified? Can (should) I replace the current DSDT.aml file with the one that you supplied?

Thanks for the info on the GPU problem. I did know that the reflow trick is a temporary fix. My understanding is that the chip packaging design is fundamentally problematic (possible combination of high lead chip pad solder bumps vs eutectic substrate pad solder bumps, poor underfill material characteristics, chip pad placement vs thermal hot spot locations, etc.). What do you mean by doing a "reball"?

My D630 already had the later copper heatsink. The thermal compound that Dell used had failed (hardened, cracked, partially flaked off). Also, the GPU had a copper shim (in addition to the thermal pad) that had slipped halfway off the chip top, preventing full contact with the heatsink. I cleaned off and replaced all of the old thermal compound with Arctic Silver 5 and relocated the shim.

I reckon you should delete you whole extra folder, and replace it with the one I supplied with this tutorial, because we know that works. Then re install edp and see how it goes.

A reflow just heats up the solder balls, and joins the cracked connections. A reball involves completely removing the BGA chip and replacing all the little solder balls with new ones, and then putting it back on the board. It requires alot of skill, and expensive equipment that most dont have.

Seb