New TouchPad driver for E6520 / ALPS

bpedman

• Moderators

@Jake Lo: this one should fix the double-click problem. I also reverse the scrolling of the trackstick. Please try and tell me the result. About the more speed up, what do you want? Speed up the scrolling on trackstick, or speed up the cursor? And by what amount do you think appropriate? 1.2x, 1.5x or even 2x? I am not a trackstick user so I really have no clue about this.

sontrg,

It's almost perfect, but now I can't click and drag with the trackstick.

Double-clicking is working. Thanks for fixing it.

Scrolling speed is fine, can you make the speed of cursor 1.2x?

Tested on E6420 and E7440.

• Moderators

@Jake Lo: The bug that prevents you from selecting with tracksticks, which in turn was caused by a mistyping character, has been blasted to oblivion. Now, I also multiplied the cursor speed of trackstick by 1.2. If you need 'moar' speed, or have any suggestion, please ask. I would love to hear your reply.

Let's make the cursor speed to 1.5x, it's not as fast as I expected with 1.2x.

While testing on E6430 and E7440, double clicking, click and drag works fine.

But when testing on E6520:

Click and drag is now working, but it's not persistent.

Single click seems to double click again.

When right clicking, it launches twice. I think it might be due to my palm hovering over the touchpad.

Is there a way to ignore the touchpad when trackstick/mouse button is being use and reactivate when touchpad is use?

Look like the Latitude Exx20 use another type of packet.

Now please install the debug version of the kext, performing the following action:

1. Wait till the laptop stabilize itself.

2. Wait a minute

3. Press each trackstick buttons once, remember the time

4. Wait a minute

5. Slightly wiggle the trackstick, remember the time

6. Wait a minute

7. Press each trackpad buttons once, remember the time

8. Wait a minute

9. Slightly touch the touchpad, remember the time

10. Wait a minute

11. Restart the computer with release kext again.

12. Look for a program named 'Console', open it, save a copy of log. After that, you can delete all of irrelevant information, only keep the lines from the time you begin the experiments till the end.

13. Label where in the log which you perform which action

14. Zip the file, and post it here, or PM me

Thanks a lot :)

• Moderators

Look like the Latitude Exx20 use another type of packet.

Now please install the debug version of the kext, performing the following action:

1. Wait till the laptop stabilize itself.

2. Wait a minute

3. Press each trackstick buttons once, remember the time

4. Wait a minute

5. Slightly wiggle the trackstick, remember the time

6. Wait a minute

7. Press each trackpad buttons once, remember the time

8. Wait a minute

9. Slightly touch the touchpad, remember the time

10. Wait a minute

11. Restart the computer with release kext again.

12. Look for a program named 'Console', open it, save a copy of log. After that, you can delete all of irrelevant information, only keep the lines from the time you begin the experiments till the end.

13. Label where in the log which you perform which action

14. Zip the file, and post it here, or PM me

Thanks a lot :)

Here you go:

11:07 - left mouse, middle mouse, right mouse button

11:08 - wiggle trackstick

11:09 - trackpad left mouse, right mouse button

11:10 - wiggle touchpad

system.log.zip

Update: Now on my E6430, single click is like double clicking after a couple of reboots. Click and drag also not working persistently. Almost the same behavior as E6520.

Then, it would be a timing bug, urgh, I hate that kind of bug most.

Luckily, it seems that I never run out of idea. So please try this and give me response. Just tweak the timing model a little bit.

PS: cursor speed also multiplied by 1.5

Edit: If not working, please try the next kext

RehabMan-Voodoo-ALPS-2014-0208.zip

RehabMan-Voodoo-ALPS-2014-0208-update-2.zip

• Moderators

Then, it would be a timing bug, urgh, I hate that kind of bug most.

Luckily, it seems that I never run out of idea. So please try this and give me response. Just tweak the timing model a little bit.

PS: cursor speed also multiplied by 1.5

Edit: If not working, please try the next kext

Tried both version, seems fine on E7440.

But on E6420, I observed the following:

If I slowly click on file or folder, it'll just highlight

If I click naturally on file or folder, it' act like double clicking.

If I have file or folder open, I can click and drag if I click slowly

but if I click it naturally, I won't be able to drag.

So I think you're right about the timing issue.

@Jake Lo: may be this new version can help. Try it. Please notify me about the result. Thank you a lot.

@npjohnson: PM-ed [:

I just tested your driver (RehabMan-Voodoo-ALPS-2014-0205) on my E6230 and it did solved all my issues! Thank you very much and also everybody involved in this driver - great job!

THANKS!

Edit:

After a reboot I noticed that it's not as trouble free as I thougt. My screen was very dark a the login screen and during login it turned black. After some seconds a dark picture came back. The brightness of the screen could be turned back to normal via the keyboard. Then the "taskbard" froze and the mouse showed a spinning ball.

At a second reboot things worked better again. At a third it was acting wired again.

Same strange behavior with RehabMan-Voodoo-ALPS-2014-0207-update-2. After login the notebook even tried to go to sleep and woke up immediately again. Now there is an infinitely spinning ball.

Edit 2:

I just reinstalled to Mavericks to my external USB 2.0 test drive and the trackpad driver is working much better at the moment. Perphaps something was broken after trying too many different trackpad drivers. I'll keep you updated about any further problems.

BTW what am I suppoesed to do with the org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.Daemon.plist?

Edit 3:

After the screen went to sleep, when I didn't use the computer. I logged in back again an clicke the apple logo, to turn the computer off. Now there is only the infinitly spinning ball again. I can still move the pointer but noting is reaction. So there is still a problem.

@firefly: Can you boot into safe mode and have everything ok? The only advice I can give now is to repair permission and rebuild cache. Or can you run the original kext in the 1st post without problem? (the rehabmanmerge one). That is the one I borrowed the code from.

@Jake Lo: please try this kext and give me the result. Now the trackstick use the same logic as touchpad.

RehabMan-Voodoo-ALPS-2014-0209.zip

Thanks for your answer. Actually I already experienced problems with the first driver.

But I kept on testing things and I believe I found the reason for my trouble. I always performed initial tests of any change using a USB 2.0 test drive. And here I experienced that strange bahavior. But when I connect the same drive via eSATA things seem to work fine. At least after 10 tests and switching between USB 2.0 and eSATA I only experienced the trouble when using USB 2.0.

The spinning ball always could be reproduced after the computer went to sleep, but not when connected to eSATA.

Right now I hope that this is the solution to my problem, and I feel quite positive about this.