New TouchPad driver for E6520 / ALPS

bpedman

Well, the Kext from http://www.insanelym...50#entry1864051 worked! 

What I tested and is working:

Touchpad is working fine and I can configure it using trackpad options on system preferences 

2 fingers scroll (horizontal and vertical)

Touchpad click, double click and double click to drag.

Buttons are working also.

Quick question, there is some way to invert the buttons action? I usually invert them on windows because I´m a left-handed person.

There is something else that I can test?

Btw, thanks a lot for your help :-)

PS: I will try your Kext and post the results here.

Well, the trackpad is recognized, but it simply refused to work. It has been reported via many people with v5 trackpad before. But the 'magic' initialization process that worked in Linux does not work here, unfortunately. The newer code in current Linux kernel branch seems to have some more code, but give me some time... Some people seems to get lucky with this kext http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/271573-guide-dell-inspiron-n5110/page-50?do=findComment&comment=1864051 . If you are the one, please tell me. I'll contact with him to get our source code merge.

P.S: Nevermind, after that, try my kext,

I too have a Dell N5110. The kext in that insanelymac thread you posted is very old (v1.7.5) and has already been merged into Rehabman's code sometime ago!!

PS.

Strange thing is, I used rehabman's kext a long time ago and it worked perfectly. With his latest version I get the same error as Tiago Bueno. He must have changed something!!!

PPS.

With that kext you just posted (2014-0218), it works fine!!!

The FN keys mapping is messed up and breakless (single press keeps firing forever) (can be fixed using this https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller/commit/1de13c800b53a30d4366082122953e6d093e90f8 )

@Tiago Buno: hmm, you should use double tap to left click, two finger double tap to right click. In fact, you can reverse the primary button in "mouse" pref pane, but then double tap will be right click, two finger double tap will be left click.

@ahmad: I don't know, guys. The driver in insanelymac is old, but it has never been merged into Rehabman. I don't know even he has released a source code or not. The source code I have is a heavy resemblance to Linux kernel 3.6-3.8. A very interesting fact is the one who write that driver (Florin9doi) is in fact the one who is credited for enabling multitouch for ALPS v5 in Linux kernel. It's just an effort to implement multitouch on ALPS long time ago. Thank you for the hint. The keyboard driver in my program is from September 2013, from Rehabman and Bpedman's merge, and has never been updated since then. Looks like I have something more to do...

P.S: hmm, that means Bpedman v7 works with you, RehabmanMerge works with you too, but more recent build doesn't?

• Like 1

@sontrg:

I think Florin9doi did release the sources sometime ago (in a zipped folder on some other forum), but I'm not sure... There have been too many projects to fix ALPS touchpads that I no longer know who did what.

Never mind anyway. The current driver works very well thanks to you and Bpedman. You're definitely going in the right direction :D

--------------

And yes, the both RehabMan's and Bpedman's drivers worked sometime ago. After trying RehabMan's latest version though I get the same error as Tiago Bueno.

Could you please merge with RehabMan's latest code + commit the change that fixed the driver not being initialised on v5... Thanks in advance :)

PS. Would be nice if you could also update the base to Linux 3.13 http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/drivers/input/mouse/alps.c

My friend had contacted Rehabman, and he has expressed that he no longer interested in an unified kext and he would no longer take care of the merge branch. So, to me, the easiest solution is to detached from the merge, become independent, then merge back to head. Later, I would take some time to separate the 'newer' ALPS and 'older' ALPS (which has been supported in Rehabman) to better restructure the code. A ~3000 lines of code in one file is really confusing, even to me. Well, it's just my ranting, I will nevertheless merge all change from Rehabman before in order to have a stable kext for everyone to use meanwhile. Maybe in this weekend. I have my schoolwork deadline, you know...

There are bugs stemming from timing problem, the current code is so delicate that when I try to add some more lines to debug or add more variables, instant kernel panic occur. That is the problem I have to deal the most since I received this code. Nevertheless, I can import features from Linux kernel, don't worry, but a big rewrite should be required.

Now, I copy the newest Keyboard plist file to the kext. This may be the final version that I release using Bpedman's code. Good luck, guys.

RehabMan-Voodoo-2014-0219.zip

• Like 1

Ok, I double check, and the patch for the fix has already been applied in the Feb 18th 2014 version. Today kext is only import the newest plist file to the kext. I really have no idea why... Just upload that file here for you to test again. Or can you fiddle around with the plist file for me?

Compared with the yesterday file, different file size. Ouch, kill me if I know, those crazy source control.

RehabMan-Voodoo-2014-0219.zip