New TouchPad driver for E6520 / ALPS

bpedman

@ahmad: ok. I push my change every week. Let's wait and see... About the v5 or v6, I'm pretty much sure. The naming scheme is not consistent even across the Linux kernel. If people see their touchpad a 'little bit different' from the other, they assign a new number version for it. In the mainstream Linux kernel, yours is a v5. But in some very old commit, yours is a v6, hence there is a confusion

@cjin5: Open Terminal, type 'sudo dmesg | grep ALPS' (without the quote), you would see some lines. There should be a line look like this:

3/1/14 5:42:28.000 AM kernel[0]: ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint::identify: Found ALPS Device with ID E7=0x73 0x03 0x0a, EC=0x88 0x08 0x1d

This is on my computer, post yours here.

• Like 1

@ahmad: ok. I push my change every week. Let's wait and see... About the v5 or v6, I'm pretty much sure. The naming scheme is not consistent even across the Linux kernel. If people see their touchpad a 'little bit different' from the other, they assign a new number version for it. In the mainstream Linux kernel, yours is a v5. But in some very old commit, yours is a v6, hence there is a confusion

@cjin5: Open Terminal, type 'sudo dmesg | grep ALPS' (without the quote), you would see some lines. There should be a line look like this:

3/1/14 5:42:28.000 AM kernel[0]: ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint::identify: Found ALPS Device with ID E7=0x73 0x03 0x0a, EC=0x88 0x08 0x1d

This is on my computer, post yours here.

Hi, thank you for the reply. I tried the command line you suggested, the terminal just asked for the password and when I typed in my password, nothing happened just like below: 

cjs-macbook-air:~ cj$ sudo dmesg | grep ALPS

Password:

cjs-macbook-air:~ cj$

Try 'kextstat | grep rehabman' and see if 'org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.PS2Trackpad' is present. If you cannot find that, the kext is just simply not loaded. If yes, you can try 'cat /var/log/system.log | grep ALPS'. There should be a line like my post above, and please post it here.

Try 'kextstat | grep rehabman' and see if 'org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.PS2Trackpad' is present. If you cannot find that, the kext is just simply not loaded. If yes, you can try 'cat /var/log/system.log | grep ALPS'. There should be a line like my post above, and please post it here.

I tried the command lines and I got these messages:

cjs-macbook-air:~ cj$ kextstat | grep rehabman

98    0 0xffffff7f81d46000 0xb000     0xb000     org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.PS2Controller (1.8.11) <10 7 5 4 3 1>

cjs-macbook-air:~ cj$ cat /var/log/system.log | grep ALPS

after input 'cat /var/log/system.log | grep ALPS', I did not get any message. I just installed the VoodooPS2Controller.kext, So I need to install PS2Trackpad.kext also?  Thanks again.

I tried the command lines and I got these messages:

cjs-macbook-air:~ cj$ kextstat | grep rehabman

98    0 0xffffff7f81d46000 0xb000     0xb000     org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.PS2Controller (1.8.11) <10 7 5 4 3 1>

cjs-macbook-air:~ cj$ cat /var/log/system.log | grep ALPS

after input 'cat /var/log/system.log | grep ALPS', I did not get any message. I just installed the VoodooPS2Controller.kext, So I need to install PS2Trackpad.kext also?  Thanks again.

v1.8.11 is the rehabman version which doesn't work with ALPS (yet). 

Try the kext by sontrg in post #366 of this thread.

Hi guys, I'm trying to use PCKeyboardHack on my E6520. But it doesn't work with the internal keyboard. The author told me that a third vendor keyboard driver such as ControllerMate may cause the problem (a modified driver in my case). PCKeyboardHack might be conflicted with it.

So here's the question, what's the different between VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext and the vanilla keyboard driver? Is it possible to get PCKeyboardHack running?

The real Macs have never used PS2 protocol and connection. But our keyboard use PS2. So, for short, our keyboard driver is a translation between PS2 protocol and 'Apple' protocol. Nevertheless, the translation can never be perfect. And there can be some quirks.

So, if you need to do it permanently, just open the plist file and learn how to remap the key. I believe that is much easier.

v1.8.11 is the rehabman version which doesn't work with ALPS (yet). 

Try the kext by sontrg in post #366 of this thread.

Ahmad, thank you for the suggestion. I tried different kexts from the this thread, but none of them worked. I was thinking maybe my Alps version is not compatible?