New TouchPad driver for E6520 / ALPS

bpedman

• Moderators

Thanks for your answer. Actually I already experienced problems with the first driver.

But I kept on testing things and I believe I found the reason for my trouble. I always performed initial tests of any change using a USB 2.0 test drive. And here I experienced that strange bahavior. But when I connect the same drive via eSATA things seem to work fine. At least after 10 tests and switching between USB 2.0 and eSATA I only experienced the trouble when using USB 2.0.

The spinning ball always could be reproduced after the computer went to sleep, but not when connected to eSATA.

Right now I hope that this is the solution to my problem, and I feel quite positive about this.

firefly1,

there's your problem. When your system goes to sleep, your USB drive gets disconnected. When it wakes, it has a problem reconnecting to your USB drive, therefore unable to locate your OS, so it hangs.

• Moderators

@firefly: Can you boot into safe mode and have everything ok? The only advice I can give now is to repair permission and rebuild cache. Or can you run the original kext in the 1st post without problem? (the rehabmanmerge one). That is the one I borrowed the code from.

@Jake Lo: please try this kext and give me the result. Now the trackstick use the same logic as touchpad.

Just tested on E6420, it's still the same with the left and right mouse double clicking on the trackstick.

Will try it on E6430 and E7440 in a minute

firefly1,

there's your problem. When your system goes to sleep, your USB drive gets disconnected. When it wakes, it has a problem reconnecting to your USB drive, therefore unable to locate your OS, so it hangs.

This is something I could understand but it did not cause any trouble before the installation of the other ALPS driver. So why was it working over USB before? But I've trouble with the USB 3.0 port and sleep anyways. I'm trying to get this solved in the E6230 thread.

But anyways, the trackpad is working fine now with eSATA or internal SATA ;)

Have to back to the dorm today, so until the next Friday evening there would be no more fix for trackstick. Instead, I will try to incorporate the newest features from the Synaptics kext to our kext. 

And I would want to share this with you: my code. I have given a pull request to Rehabman but he has not answered me yet. The code there is from my `stable` branch, that mean whatever you see in the Feb 07th 2014 release is totally built using that code. If you can join me, just fork and happy hacking.

The link is here: https://bitbucket.org/sontrg/os-x-voodoo-ps2-controller

Have a nice day

PS: @Jake Lo: Please test this [[: I'm sorry, but you are so nice to test with me.

PS: One of my friends say that it is hard for him to perform a click-to-drag. Anybody experience the same?

RehabMan-Voodoo-ALPS-2014-0210.zip

• Moderators

If he slowly left click it (select), then he could drag. If he click it's normally(fast), it won't drag. 

Tested this version on E6420, same as the last 2 versions. single click is like double click. right click, launches twice. 

Could be a speed issue, I don't know.

New update for today:

* Add merged feature from Synaptics trackpad: tap drag lock time. Like in Windows and real Mac, when using tap-to-drag, if trackpad is released during moving, we now have a ~1 second period to tap to continue dragging without breaking the drag.

* Try to fix trackstick by disable trackpad when using trackstick. Please give me feedback because I have no hardware to test it now.

Have a nice day.

PS: ouch, I attached the wrong file :)) sorry if you download the 10-02 version,

RehabMan-Voodoo-ALPS-2014-0212.zip

• Moderators

It does disable the touchpad when trackstick is being use, but it doesn't fix the double clicking (actually triple clicking sometimes) on an E6420/E6520. This version work well on the E6x30 and E7x40 models once it finished initializing after logon.
I don't know how hard it is to combine codes, Yeahoon's kext and/ or npjohnson's Merge version works well on the E6x20's but KP on E6x30 models.
If it can't be done, then I guess we'll have Yeahoon/npjohnson/bpedman's version for Exx20's and 
Sontrg/bpedman's version for E6x30/E7x30 models.

I'm having a difficulties installing this.

When I type:

sudo cp org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.Daemon.plist /Library/LaunchDaemons

in terminal, I get:
cp: org.rehabman.voodoo.drive.Daemon.plist: No such file or directory.

Here's what I did in terminal:
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext

Unzipped RehabMan-Voodoo-ALPS-2014-0212.zip.
Opened Kext Wizard
Click Installation
Browse to the Release folder and chose VoodooPS2Controller.kext
Pointed Destination to System/Library/Extensions and click Install

Open Terminal,
sudo cp org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.Daemon.plist /Library/LaunchDaemons
and that's where the problem occurs.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Just copy voodoops2controller to Extra/Extensions, remove ApplePS2Controller.kext & AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

from Extra/Extensions. Run myfix(quick)

As always, thank you for the quick reply Jake Lo!

I got it to work but the trackpad is extremely buggy now.  I've sniffed through this thread as well as others and tried a few different voodoops2controller.kext but the same problems persists.

I have an E6230 and used your (Jake Lo's) guide to install OS X 10.9.1.  I *loved* the ApplePS2Controller.kext provided with with the "Extras" functioned but could not stand not having two finger right click and two finger scroll, two finger forward//back on web browsers.

Did I perhaps overlook a good .kext or am I doing something wrong?  I find is strange that all the .kext I use presented the same problems. :(

Thank you!