DELL Optiplex 9020 - trouble installing Yosemite

Julio Bernardo

Ok Hervé, I'll try. 

With the followings steps, can I do a bootable USB, right? 

You can use those Clover-based guides published here or on IM. For example:

• Mount InstallESD.dmg found in Install OS X 10.10 Developer Preview.app/Contents/SharedSupport
  • Then mount BaseSystem.dmg (hidden file)
open /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg
  • Use Disk Utility to restore the contents of BaseSystem.dmg on a USB key (or HDD partition) formatted Mac OS extended (journaled).
  • Remove link for Packages in folder System/Installation of your USB key
rm /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System\ 1/System/Installation/Packages
  • Copy folder Packages located in InstallESD.dmg to folder System/Installation of your USB key
cp -R /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System\ 1/System/Installation
  • Copy the 2 hidden files (BaseSystem.dmg & Basesystem.chunklist) of InstallESD.dmg to the root of your USB key
cp /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.* /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System\ 1
  • Install Clover_v2k_r2695.zip (or later) to your USB key.
  • Configure your config.plist to boot with option "kext-dev-mode=1" as follows:
<key>Boot</key>
   <dict>
      <key>Arguments</key>
      <string>-v kext-dev-mode=1</string>
   </dict>

* About option "kext-dev-mode=1": in Yosemite Developer Preview 1, "unsigned or malsigned" kexts will not be loaded. To use such kexts, the restriction can be lifted by adding option "kext-dev-mode=1" at boot phase.

• Copy all your kexts (FakeSMC.kext, etc.) to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 (consider this the "kext" boot pack). Grab kexts from ML or Mav boot pack or from any existing ML or Mav installation's /Extra/Extensions folder.
  • Copy the DSDT to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched
  • Adjust Clover config.plist as required (you can use this file: attachicon.gif config.plist_D630n.zip).
  • Start your USB key.
  • The OS X installer should then load. Proceed with installation as usual.

To boot with Chameleon:

• After 1st reboot (via clover USB key), install Chameleon r2395 or later to your freshly installed Yosemite partition
  • Copy DSDT + SMBIOS & boot plists to /Extra.
  • Copy the machine specific kexts to /S/L/E and repair permissions in Terminal: sudo chmod -R 755 /S/L/E + sudo chown -R 0:0 /S/L/E
  • Rebuild kext cache: sudo touch /S/L/E sudo kextcache -Boot -U /
  • From now on, you can safely boot Yosemite through Chameleon directly.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

If you find that Clover is hard to understand, you can try my guide here. Bootpack ( kexts and DSDT) are available on post # 5.

Remember the Optiplex 9020 has an Haswell processor that causes early reboot. So make sure to use the Haswell Kernel atttached in the guide below.

Jake Lo, 

I achieved to make a USB bootable from latest Chameleon (V2.2svn r2404), but when I try to make a boot from USB, with the flags -v -f recommended by the your guide, but It's keeping boot loop on my PC. I've tried, unifail, Chameleon (2 versions), but the issue is always the same. Boot Loop!

I've copied the Kernels Folder (HASWELL KERNEL) to /System/Library of USB bootable, as your guide has indicated. 

Can you help me?

Please, see bellow the video: