DELL Optiplex 9020 - trouble installing Yosemite

Julio Bernardo

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jake Lo, finally It does work!

I did make the installation with Chameleon version of your guide and it does work! I  I'm very happy, thanks, BUT...

Questions:

Can I make dual boot (Windows) with the same Hard Disk? If yes, What actions to take to not affect my windows partition that already exists?

If not, can I install it on USB external hd? 

I was thinking about to install it on another SATA hard disk, but I'll need to buy a new hard drive disk and I don't know if it's possible in 9020 (2 Hard disks).

How do I proceed?

• Moderators

Well, did you install your Windows with GUID or MBR?

If MBR, it's better that you install OS X to another SATA drive. I believe there's 4 sata connection, you'll just need to purchase a sata cable, there's an extra power adapter already in place. Or you could disconnect the media drive and use that cable instead.

External drive will work too.

Jake Lo,

I downloaded software for manage partitions and I achieve to part my Hard Disk. So, now I have one partition NTFS Windows 8.1 and a new partition without format. So, I reboot with USB Yosemite. That's ok! The next step, I try to use disk utility, but I can't create any partition! Always loading, loading, loading and no more. 

Software of manage partition shows me GUID table always. See the image right corner:

2uxyzgk.png

Maybe I try another disk, I don't know, but the best way would be a dual boot with the same Hard Disk. I need the dual boot, because I can't have just Macintosh, I need Windows as well.

So, what do you suggest for me?

Please, tell me what i'm doing wrong...

Step 1: Create a partition for OS X

I've the "not alocated space" (70GB) only for MAC in my HD, as you can see above in picture. So, I think it's prepared to be formated by Disk Utility (Mac). 

Step 2: Run Command Prompt as Administrator and type these commands:

When I try to do that...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

diskpart
select disk 0
list partition (show a list of partitions on the drive, keep in mind the number of the partition that you are supposed to install OS X to)
select partition x (x is the OS X partition)
active

DISKPART> ACTIVE
The selected disk is not a fixed MBR disk.
The ACTIVE command can only be used on fixed MBR disks.

it's because my HD already is GPT and ACTIVE, if I understood, it does work for MBR disks. So, should I "start at the begin", first installing MAC and after Windows 8?

• Administrators

you need to boot your windows media in efi installer mode. when you boot you have to press i think f12 on dell to see the bootable disks. the list has to show usb efi or cd efi which will coincide with the media your using to install from. if your booting an iso from like isolinux or grub that won't show the efi option in the menu. so make sure your using a properly made windows installer.