DELL Optiplex 9020 - trouble installing Yosemite

Julio Bernardo

Bronxteck thanks.

My issue now is to format 70GB separated for me in HD. 

I had already Windows 8.1 installed on my PC. So, running Windows, with the EaseUS Partition, I separated 70GB for MAC, but I kept it with "not allocated space", I didn't format it with NTFS or FAT, just "not allocated space". 

Then, I started with USB bootable chameleon, that's ok! 

So, I tried to use Disk Utility (already inside Yosemite installation) to format this partition (70GB not allocated space) with "Mac Os Extended Journaled", but I don't know why, it didn't work. Moreover, I also tried to format with Ex-fat or MS-DOS, just for test, but I had no success. Always the disk utility get loading, loading, loading, but the process never is completed.  

I wouldn't like to format all my Hard Disk, starting with Mac and after installing Windows, but I don't see another way...

unless somebody has a solution for my case. 

What am I doing wrong? Why my new "not allocated space" can't formatted by Disk Utility (Mac)?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friends,

one more step completed! 

I achieved to format my "not allocated space" with HFS+ through "MacDrive 9" on Windows. That's great!!!! 

I achieved to install Yosemite in this partition (HFS+) through my USB Installer / Boot Loader. No errors! That's Wonderful!!!

BUT.........

Immediatelly after to install Yosemite, the system asks to reboot, right? So, I tried to boot the PC from USB in Chameleon screen, this time, selecting Macintosh SSD (it's where I've installed Yosemite), to finally complete the installation, but guess what?????

BOOT LOOP!!!!

Honestly, I'm tired,  but I won't give up!

So, how can I proceed? Is there anything to do?

• Moderators

Looks like in 10.10.1 the USB installer will extract a new vanilla kernel to your new installed drive instead of copying the patched kernel. Boot with the USB Installer and use the terminal to copy the patched kernel to the Installed drive overwriting the vanilla kernel.

> cp /volumes/"Install OS X Yosemite"/system/library/kernels/kernel /volumes/"macintosh SSD"/system/library/kernels/

Looks like in 10.10.1 the USB installer will extract a new vanilla kernel to your new installed drive instead of copying the patched kernel. Boot with the USB Installer and use the terminal to copy the patched kernel to the Installed drive overwriting the vanilla kernel.

> cp /volumes/"Install OS X Yosemite"/system/library/kernels/kernel /volumes/"macintosh SSD"/system/library/kernels/

Jake Lo,

I did it when you answered my private msg. Well, it worked partially. It stops boot loop, but starts with "still waiting for root device" as you see bellow:

3531pvt.jpg