Dell Latitude D430 Thread

Zeppo

well.. i have to admin, i have never seen anything like it..

It is weird. And here another weird tidbit: since USB boot works fine and HD fails I took an iomega 1TB USB/eSATA drive and cloned my HD to it. Installed Chameleon 2 RC5 r665 and EDP 1.5RC6 to it. Overwrote all relevant /Extra files with those on stick booting fine (and identical to one on my internal HD with described issues). Took out my USB stick. Boot. Chameleon pops up offering internal and external HD to boot from. Choose iomega. Boots from it but wrong resolution, no sound, no keyboard, no trackpad. Like booting from internal HD. Run edptool from iomega HD to create new but same environment (voodooPS2, Apple PM, no PCMCIA), run edptool again and executed touch and tried fixing hibernation (no luck, same error). Reboot. No changes. Run edptool, reconfigured to ApplePS2, Apple PM, no PCMCIA. Run Fixes and rebooted. No changes.

So,booting from USB - fine. Booting from HD (internal OR external via USB) - weird issues. Granted, iomega contains the real clone of my internal HD. So, if issue is with that installation (caused by the HD) I might have cloned those issues as well.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is to use D430 to make a clean install on my iomega drive. Update to 10.6.6 and see what happens. If this would work fine, I would have an indicator that a) internal HD is not OK (although tested as OK) or B) my internal HD controller is toast (iomega is managed by USB controller).

i'm allmost considering making an installation on a extra harddisk and ship it to you :P

And I would pay gladly for the HD and your troubles. But would it work?

• Administrators

i think your on the right track... do a fresh clean full install to the iomega external and see if problem persists if it does not then clone that image to the hard drive if it goes away then maybe the cd rom is flakey or dirty... it's happened to me before.. if not do every thing on another mac if you can..

i think your on the right track... do a fresh clean full install to the iomega external and see if problem persists if it does not then clone that image to the hard drive if it goes away then maybe the cd rom is flakey or dirty... it's happened to me before.. if not do every thing on another mac if you can..

I don't use a DVD. I have my 10.6.0 retail DVD image on stick, together with Chameleon.

Well, if I go iomega clean install path, I'll need another Mac anyway. I can boot from my iomega clone. But Chameleon on USB stick doesn't see it, for what reason ever (I do not have "Hide Partition" in my com.apple.boot.plist"). I need to disconnect Chameleon stick in order to boot from iomega.

The only way to see both in the same time is when I start the install from my DVD image on my Chameleon stick, than I can choose iomega partition for a fresh install. And that's trouble. Because, after fresh install of 10.6.0 I need to reboot into iomega OS X via Chameleon, in order to install CHameleon and EDP on it. But Chameleon stick doesn't see it! So, I need to do a clean install, disconnect iomega drive prior booting into new installation, mount it on my second machine running 10.6.6, install Chameleon and preboot.dmg into /Extra folder, reconnect it to D430 and than boot for the first time. If this works, than I can go and install EDP, run configuration, run fixes for hibernation, touch and such. Only after that I will download 10.6.6 and upgrade.

BTW: usually people run 10.6.3, 10.6.5 or whatever prior going to 10.6.6. Could the cause of my issues lay in the fact that I go from 10.6.0 directly to 10.6.6? Did anyone else did so successfully?

I don't use a DVD. I have my 10.6.0 retail DVD image on stick, together with Chameleon.

Well, if I go iomega clean install path, I'll need another Mac anyway. I can boot from my iomega clone. But Chameleon on USB stick doesn't see it, for what reason ever (I do not have "Hide Partition" in my com.apple.boot.plist"). I need to disconnect Chameleon stick in order to boot from iomega.

The only way to see both in the same time is when I start the install from my DVD image on my Chameleon stick, than I can choose iomega partition for a fresh install. And that's trouble. Because, after fresh install of 10.6.0 I need to reboot into iomega OS X via Chameleon, in order to install CHameleon and EDP on it. But Chameleon stick doesn't see it! So, I need to do a clean install, disconnect iomega drive prior booting into new installation, mount it on my second machine running 10.6.6, install Chameleon and preboot.dmg into /Extra folder, reconnect it to D430 and than boot for the first time. If this works, than I can go and install EDP, run configuration, run fixes for hibernation, touch and such. Only after that I will download 10.6.6 and upgrade.

BTW: usually people run 10.6.3, 10.6.5 or whatever prior going to 10.6.6. Could the cause of my issues lay in the fact that I go from 10.6.0 directly to 10.6.6? Did anyone else did so successfully?

I doubt it .. a combo is a combo shouldn't be an issue. I'm wodering though about your hd integrity. have you tried running smart utility: see: http://www.volitans-software.com/smart_utility.php

Doesn't hurt to check.

Well well....

I downloaded the file: IOATAFamily.kext.zip from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186609&st=40

on page 3 there where installation instructions. In them I followed the /Volumes/name/Extra path,

but also putting 'sudo' command in front of those two commands.

I now verify that I can boot the osx without any kernel panics.

But... keyboard and mouse have stopped working. So I guess using command...

sudo kextcache -m /Volumes/<boot drive name>/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/<boot drive name>/Extra/Extensions

Did reset some of the kext-settings....

What is the procedure to get correct D430 kext and the IOATA-kext installed???

-J

edit: external mouse and keyboard works. I was able to use edptool.command to go back to situation where mouse + keyboard work, but I need to have usb-stick attached to boot this machine.

So... how do I also use these kext to fix this PATA problem, or can I use some DSDT from page : http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=682&st=0&p=3537entry3537

I doubt it .. a combo is a combo shouldn't be an issue. I'm wodering though about your hd integrity. have you tried running smart utility: see: http://www.volitans-software.com/smart_utility.php

Doesn't hurt to check.

Well, I tested the drive with Disk Utilities and with OnyX (including the check of SMART attributes and drive integrity) and had no failures. But I'll give it a try with this tool.

Hi,

My problem thread is the: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/197-incorrect-image-signature/

Anyways I am such a total newbie on this hackintosh front that I have no proper knowledge to get these fixes inserted into right place.

When using the commands from that external page to create kext-extensions, I managed to get drive working, but keyboard and mouse not. I then tried place files in the edptool.command (rebuild.command) to get these fixes installed and included with new rebuild, but no luck...

Maybe the DSDT is the right path to take here.?

-J