Dell Latitude D430 Thread

Zeppo

Activity Monitor gives a kernel panic

With all the help of this wonderful forum my D430 is doing great.

I already bought a second D430 and installed 10.7.3 on it, for my brother-in-law.

But there is still one problem left, I'm running 10.6.8.

When I try to start "Activity Monitor" I get 9 out of 10 times a kernel panic!

I frequently check the hard disk with Disk Utility run from a usb-stick.

Used the standard guide and EDP2.2 for installing, later upgraded to EDP3.x with the install.sh from Leon.

Runned MyHack v3.1, did the Full Fix, installed latest Chameleon.

Are the people around who recognize this problem, or even better, have a solution?

All our D430 are quite the same you should think...

UPDATE

Problems solved by following the instructions in reaction number 154 (some below this one).

• Administrators

The D430 does not have multi touch support (its a hardware requirement) .. the best PS2 is option 2 in EDP because it gives you side and bottom scroll.

However, if you want to play with multi touch, then i suggest you get an apple magicpad :)

Screen Capture and Preview problems

D430 1.33 GHz Core2Duo, 2 GB 533 Mhz DDR

10.6.0, 10.6.3 and 10.6.8

Chameleon 2.1svn (svn-r1902)

Weird but very persistent graphics sub-system problem, Screen capture and Preview not working!?

When I make a screenshot (Command + Shift + 3/4) I get the camera sound, but a file is never created on my desktop. I tried with Grab, no results either. Empty window, clipboard stays empty.

When I drag (as example) the OSX-latitude logo from Safari to the desktop, I get a "logo_new_3002.png" file. When I double click it, Preview opens, showing nothing!

Quick View works, opening it in Graphic Convertor as well.

First install: started with a 10.6.0 retail dvd, EDP 1.9, later EDP 1.9.2

Screen capture does't work, updated to 10.6.8, EDP 3.x, runned Full Fix with MyHack 3.1, still no result.

Second try: fresh new install, started with 10.6.3 retail dvd, same effect!! Before and after update with Combo 10.6.8.

Some alternative screen capture programs works like Skitch and SimpleCap, other programs (which use screencapture I think) crash or do nothing.

I think it has something to do with a not recognized video card, I tried several Model Numbers in Chameleon Wizard, at this moment "macBook Pro (4.1)".

Graphic card according System Profiler:

Chipset Model: Mobile GMA950

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x27a2

Revision ID: 0x0003

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

Tried deleting plist-files used by screencapture.

Set up a new admin-account, same story.

Tweaked with Tinkertool, reset all settings to default OSX, no change.

Reinstalling Combo update, EDP 3.x, MyHack, repaired permissions, checked hard disk...

Any suggestions?