Dell Latitude D430 Thread

Zeppo

nice 4 you... Hopefully it runs smooth in future...

I had no issues whatsoever with EDP 1.5RC6 since I mad a new install. However, I installed EDP1.5RC7 (Final Release?) and, midway in working with Disk Utility (just adding a new partition to my USB external drive) I had a KP. After the reboot I could finish what I was doing with nor further issues. It might be an one time issue, I simply don't know yet.

BTW: I aim to install CoolBook. Can someone tell me what the desired temperature limit I should apply to the temperature throttle for my D430?

THX!

So I followed the tutorial and I am very happy with the results. Great work and testing by you guys to make something this cool to work.

One question...my D430 boots fine if I boot of the memory stick and choose the Hard Drive. It boots into OSX perfect.

If I boot off the Hard Drive without the USB stick in it, I get the same looking menu (Chameleon) that I get off the USB stick, but when it boots the Apple Logo is different (looks "newer") and then I get the message that "You must restart the Computer, Power off to restart"

Any ideas. I am going to assume it is the boot loader that is on the HDD, how can I fix this?

The apple logo you see is just a theme. More important question is why your it's kp'ing. You could try backing up the /Extra on your hd then copy the /Extra off the usb stick and retry it. Just make sure you keep a backup. Also out of curiosity what edp version did you post install?

regards;

So I followed the tutorial and I am very happy with the results. Great work and testing by you guys to make something this cool to work.

One question...my D430 boots fine if I boot of the memory stick and choose the Hard Drive. It boots into OSX perfect.

If I boot off the Hard Drive without the USB stick in it, I get the same looking menu (Chameleon) that I get off the USB stick, but when it boots the Apple Logo is different (looks "newer") and then I get the message that "You must restart the Computer, Power off to restart"

Any ideas. I am going to assume it is the boot loader that is on the HDD, how can I fix this?

First of all: welcome! You have found the best forum for hackintoshing your laptop!

One question: have you formatted your HD with the option Extended (Journaled) Case Sensitive?

If so, you are about to repeat the whole installation. Extended Journaled is the only way to go.

I am talking out of my own experience and your described issues kinda mirror my own. You can read all about it in this thread.

EDIT: Somewhere from post #80 we came nearer to the core of the issues I had. You see, you are saving time. :)

Please do check.

Hi,

This Dell is now running the 10.6.6 just fine. The key thing was to select NON-case sensitive journaled file system when system is installed in the first place.

During the process I had to use once boot parameter pmVersion=0

Case closed.

-J

If I see this correctly, case sensitive file system is the culprit. Again. Well, welcome to the club! ;)

@Elites

I think now is the time to put a very prominent, bold, CAPITAL CHARACTERS warning into the installation tutorial and instruct all new users NOT to use Extended/Journaled (Case-Sensitive) option formatting their HD's. Case Sensitive installation kinda messes up the otherwise straight forward and very easy hackintoshing of the DELL Dxx.

• Administrators

Big up on this ageing thread!

Hi everyone, Hervé from France here. I've been a Hackintosh fan a tad over a year having started with Leopard 10.5.8 on my overclocked Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop (which works like a dream). Tried to install SL on that one, but always failed miserably. :(

My wife's got a Latitude D620 which I'm thinking of "converting" too. Same with my office D630 for which I have my own personal HDD to play with. I mean to set them up with dual-boot Win7/SL (or maybe Lion) one day.

For the moment, I've got my hands on a D430 that a friend of mine asked me to check to see if I could get something out of it. Basically, it's running like a dead dog under XP. I got it with 1Go of RAM, 60Go HDD and a U7600 1.2GHz C2D CPU. I thought it'd be a lost cause, but I added 1Go of DDR2-533 to it and attempted SL 10.6.8... successfully thanks to this place! :P

D430 was updated to standard BIOS A09 before starting.

Here's my method:

1) damaged/broken middle ports meant the D430 only has 1 USB port left, so USB boot pen/key installation was sole way

2) made Nawcom ModCD/retail SL 10.6.3 USB boot key from Hackintoshed Inspiron 6000

3) installed SL 10.6.3 (ticked off printers + extra fonts + languages, rest was left at default settings)

4) rebooted off USB pen drive and selected newly created Mac OS X installation

5) at that stage: no sound, no wireless, basic 1024x768 video

6) downloaded EDP 1.9 off this site, copied to separate USB key and transferred to Hackintoshed D430

7) launched EDP package and proceeded to kexts installation for D420&D430 Dual core models:

- VoodooPS2controller

- NullCPUPowerManagement

- SleepEnabler

- VoodooBattery

- Emulated SpeedStep

- Latest Chameleon

😎 rebooted off HDD sucessfully -> full graphics 1280x800, wireless working, but /!\ no sound /!\

9) installed DoubleCommand for Keyboard re-mapping

10) downloaded Ukelele and copied Logitech FR layouts into /Library/KeyboardLayouts, then selected as Input off PrefPane

11) proceeded to Software Update, including dreaded 10.6.8 update

12) re-applied EDP 1.9 kexts installation just in case

13) rebooted and was asked to install downloaded updates (I thought they had been installed)

14) Big GULP as I clicked "Reboot" :unsure:

15) Pretty much a TOTAL SUCCESS at reboot!!! Working D430 under SL 10.6.8 B)

Just need to try and fix the sound now.

Thanks a million for this site and all its goodies, it's made my day! The D430 works really well under its new config. Much more faster than with XP, but there might have been a problem underneath there...

Things that don't work... yet?

- no sound

- does not go to sleep when lid is closed or FN Esc is pressed