Dell D630 Mountain Lion Install Guide

seb43654

I have following settings:

HDD set to AHCI mode

- Dynamic Acceleration Disabled

- Multicore Enabled

- SpeedStep enabled

Also I have tried to use the hard disk of one of my same specs laptop in this laptop but it keeps on restarting after loader finishes blue progress bar.

Hi,

I found the issue.

It was BIOS settings.

In BIOS in security settings CPU XD support should be enabled otherwise system will keep on restarting.

Thanks.

Hello,

I am trying to install ML on my D630 but I am stuck.

The specs on the d630 is: a17 bios, 2gb ram, nvidia quadro nvs 135m, 120gb hd

I followed the recommended D630 BIOS settings.

I followed the instructions on how to install the ML software on the USB stick.

Installed Extra folder through myHack.

I did a full myFix after that.

I booted to USB stick and selected verbose mode.

I went to disk utility. Selected the 120gb hd. Changed it to 1 partition, mac os extended journaled. I went into options to change it from master boot record to guide partition table.

On the install screen, I told OS X to install it on the 120gb hard drive.

"Installing OS X on the disk "ML"." The progress bar doesn't move.

After like 15 seconds, it tells me The Mac OS X installation couldn't be completed. It shows me the installation log. And I can't save the log on to usb stick.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Now excuse this silly question, but I am wondering how to get ML. I'd like to purchase it through the app store. I have a SL install on 10.6.8. It's running a C2D T7500 @ 2.2ghz with 4MB Cache, 3GB DDR2 667, and an Nvidia NV135 graphics card. But, every time I try to purchase is through the app store in SL, I cannot buy it since my laptop is not compatible. I've updated through "software update" rather than the combo update. This computer is 64 bit capable, I'm not sure what's not working.

EDIT: It appears 64 bit extensions isn't enabled. It was installed off of a 10.6.0 image.

EDIT: Tried changing the extensions through terminal, KP.

Retried with multifail, system is now showing 64 bit extensions in Terminal and System Profile

Still unable to buy ML

I edited the smbios to say that it's a MB 4,1, still no luck there.

edit: I updated to a MB 5,1 through the smbios.plist. That seemed to do the trick, so it has been purchased and downloaded!

@ schan1:

What CPU in that D630?

Try to boot with options: PciRoot=0 USBBusFix=No. If that does not suffice, try add: -x

CPU is Core2Duo

Max Clock Speed: 2.60 GHz

Current Clock Speed: 1.60 GHz

Minimum Clock Speed: 1.20 GHz

Where do I add 'PciRoot=0 USBBusFix=No'?

Thanks

to boot 64 bit you have to remove the arch=i386 flag in your Boot.plist. also might want to generate a new serial number with chameleon wizard or champ list.

That's more or less what I did to make it work,

Now just stuck in a boot loop. I know for a fact that I applied a Full Myfix to the install media prior to installing. But I guess I'll try it again.

If I boot to the USB, then to the Hard Drive after selecting options, I can get into the Operating system.

EDIT: Reinstalled

Same thing as before,

Without the drive in, it goes past the Dell splash screen

boot0: GPT

boot0: test

boot0: error

So I restarted and booted to the flash drive, selected the Macintosh HD during the boot options, and then was able to boot into Mountain Lion.

Redid the installer, Wouldn't even start the installation. Redoing the installer once more. It's being done with MyHack 3.1.2, on my Mini9 with 10.6.7

Once again I've reformatted the USB, reinstalled with MyHack 3.1.2, downloaded the Extra folder off the compatibility chart, and ran Full MyFix, I am still unable to get it to start installing.

BIOS Settings are set up to be the compatible ones as per the guides on this site.

I cannot post the log since the screen just freezes, then refreshes with the Save Log, View Log etc options every few seconds.

TL;DR

I wiped my install media, started anew and took a few steps backwards.

Sounds like you'd need to re-install Chameleon bootloader.

Once I finally redid the install disk, by going back to SL on my D630, a few times(ugh) I was able to install ML. I updated chameleon like you suggested, and voila, seemless boot into ML!

In case anyone runs into problems like I encountered,

I was unable to buy Mountain Lion through the app store since it wasn't compatible. I do believe this was brought about by a 10.6.0 install disk defaulting SL to 32 bit. I updated the smbios with Chameleon Wizard along with forcing 64 bit in the same program. A restart had the issue resolved.

The error once it was installed and booting to

boot0: error

Was resolved by booting into the flash drive(f12, USB storage device) and then selecting options before it finalised the boot into it, then selecting the Macintosh HD. Once in I downloaded Chameleon as was suggested, and ran it.

The issue of the Mountain Lion install not even starting and failing was resolved by redownloading Mountain Lions installesd.dmg and then remaking the install drive.