Dell D630 Mountain Lion Install Guide

seb43654

tried Nawcom,still experienced kernel panics, setup 10.6.6 Server vmware workstation on Win7 box and successfully made ML 10.8.2 Install USB; now get all the way through bootloader/Darwin and rainbow beachball to install screen but then a strange power button reset animation loops.. (see attached screenshot, LCD is damaged- but you can see it).. imag0006vc.jpg

This particular D630 was found by a dumpster, thrown out by some business because they thought it was trash- it had a malware-ridden WinXP Corporate Edition installed onto it they must've thought it was old. haha! :)

• Administrators

Are you using a retail copy of 10.8.2? It's required to have all installation files... Also, did you update your BIOS to A17/A18 and setup your BIOS parameters as per recommended settings?

I'm assuming that you're using the D630 nVidia bootpack, right?

Could you try to reboot with -v flag and report back what it says when it stops?

It is a retail 10.8.2 image. Installer failed with "LaunchServices/5123589: Unable to lookup coreservices session port for session 0x186a0" ... "failed with error 'Unkown node name' (2000)" ... "Child exited with status 11" ..."Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV) Exception Nodes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000000000001"...any clues?

There's no need to install Windows to update the BIOS. Just download the recovery BIOS from the OSXL web site (Top menus: Tweaks -> Dell -> Custom BIOS Updates) and simply copy it to a USB key. Take out the battery, disconnect power cable, press END key and reconnect power cable. When battery LED appears in RED, count 1-2 and release END key. This normally loads up the BIOS .hdr file off the USB key and copies it to NVRAM. The laptop will then reboot with new BIOS.

This, good sir, is very handy information! Many thanks for this, Herve.

• Administrators
Bios is updated to A18, not sure about the nVidia bootpack where can I get this and will I need it? everything seems to be working now, installing atm

Lookup at the top of your current forum window. Click on the "EDP" tab under the large "OSXLATITUDE" banner. Read-up the documentation and install ML following our MyHack-EDP process.

• Administrators

To me, either your installer is duff (it happens when created under with VMWare) or your ML image is duff. You should have ZERO issue installing ML on a D630 nVidia 135m. Do you have a legit' retail ML copy or was that a torrent download?