Dell D630 Mountain Lion Install Guide

seb43654

Against all odds, I am running Mountain Lion on a D630 with integrated intel graphics - GMAX3100. Videos and browsing is slow as expected. I can live with that but what's really troubling me are these three things.

1. Unable to sleep and wake up from sleep

2. Fan makes too much noise. It runs all the time and hardly ever stops.

3. Unable to hook up an external monitor either directly or through a dock. I mean the external monitor works but at 1280 resolution instead of 1440x900 that I get if I am working on the laptop directly. Ideally i would like to connect two external monitors in an extended configuration through a dock.

Is it possible to overcome above difficulties by installing some extras or by adding the Nvidia graphics card from an old D630 which I will source from craigslist?

Here's my story.

I am using the default kexts and extras provided by seb43654 in his first post. I did install KeyRemap4macbook to fix the tilde (~`) button and to get ctrl-c to work in the terminal app but everything else worked exactly as he described, out of the box.

I was able to get the sound by using Jabra USB headset. Just plugged it in and Mac automatically recognized it as an audio device, simple.

As others have mentioned, Intel wireless wouldn't work. I re-purposed an old linksys router. Flashed dd-wrt on it and used it as a Repeater Bridge to connect to my primary router which has internet. D630 and a few other computers plug straight into the Repeater Bridge through an ethernet cable.

Mac would not boot up after running the latest EDP 3. So I had to uninstall it and use MyHack to re-install the original /Extras provided by seb43654. It would really love to run the latest EDP on this machine.

• Administrators

Oh, you really chose complication... Forget any decent graphics under ML on that model: there is no graphics support, there are no kexts at all, there is no acceleration, nada, ziltch.

No, you can't add an nVidia GPU, you can only buy/get a D630 fitted with one at factory.

No, there is no EDP support for ML on that model, hence why you can't run EDP on it under ML.

Browsing is slow, video unwatchable, opening/minimising/closing windows is slow, there are video artifacts most of the time (minor and sometimes major), games unplayable, etc, etc. Graphics painfully run off the CPU and as such affect overall system performance. To me, it's just not sustainable to run unless you like to say you have ML on the system but not actually use it; I don't see the point, but maybe that's just me... Again, I can only recommend to stick to Lion.

I've uploaded the complete necessary Extra folder. Use it as indicated if you're a non-believer, but please, no more requests for ML on that D630 X3100 system. It's not supported and does not run properly, plain and simple.

Im fully understanding of what I need and should be doing, however, even after running myfix and all of the updated versions of apps, my 630 is still getting hung up on the apple "thinking" wheel after attempting to boot from usb. Any notion of why or what I should do?

thanks

For £6 I bought one of the supported broadcom mPCI-E wifi cards. lifted my keyboard and installed it and worked 1st time no messing about.

I also updated to 10.8.2 without any problems. I'm running logic pro and all the cool mac apps without any problems just like my friend does on his mac book pro. I actually think Mountain Lion runs way better on my D630 than it does on his mac!

Even watching videos on youtube or in VLC Media player the graphics are so clean with no lag or glitches. I am really impressed :)