E6410 with nVidia NVS 3100M graphics - Mountain Lion Guide

v3ct0r

I had a similar problem with the verbose-mode-only boot a few months ago after my Windows partition crashed and I had to rebuild my drive. Re-installing chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) did the trick for me!

Re-installing chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) didn't work for me, so I was getting close to accepting a re-build as the way forward. Then I thought, "if I'm going to do that, what's the harm in experimenting first?"

So, going back to the iMessage problem, I had a go at the Clover fix. So far so good in terms of iMessage which perhaps counts as progress. Clover seems to default to a verbose boot, so I can't tell you whether that side of the problem as moved forward until tonight when I can play some more. Obviously, it's very early days - I certainly wouldn't suggest making it a part of the guide just yet, but as before I'll keep you updated :)

Sure can =), I have attached the files you asked for on this post.

What seems to be the problem that you are running into? I have gotten all of my issues ironed out so I can probably (hopefully lol) be of some help to you.

This rar file contains copies of my

org.chameleon.boot.plist

DSDT.aml

smbios.plist

My issue is related to VGA and sleep. my machine is a slightly different flavor as its a e6510.  Its identical to an e6410 but with a bigger screen(in size not res, as I have the 1366x768)

I see that [AGPM Controller} Unknown Platform is in my boot log, but even when I had fixed that by switching my smbios to MacBookPro6,2 and adding a manual patch to AGPM to fix it,  i still couldnt use VGA.  

Any thoughts on what to investigate next?

My issue is related to VGA and sleep. my machine is a slightly different flavor as its a e6510.  Its identical to an e6410 but with a bigger screen(in size not res, as I have the 1366x768)

I see that [AGPM Controller} Unknown Platform is in my boot log, but even when I had fixed that by switching my smbios to MacBookPro6,2 and adding a manual patch to AGPM to fix it,  i still couldnt use VGA.  

Any thoughts on what to investigate next?

Have you tried installing Chameleon 2.1? This is what fixed the VGA issue for alerphjuan, if memory serves me correctly...

• Like 1

Hi Patel

Do you think if i changed the Processor to i7, would it cause any troubles.

PS. I am still timid about the Update...

Thank you good sir!

Great! It is definitely a quick HacBook...

I don't think it would cause any trouble (other than your BIOS settings having to be re-setup) to upgrade to an i7. Don't forget the thermal squares!

Huh what Thermal squares? cant i just use Thermal paste? Di need to manually setup the bios... any info on that.

Huh what Thermal squares? cant i just use Thermal paste? Di need to manually setup the bios... any info on that.

Thermal paste is fine; the squares are just an alternative.

You will need to re-enter all the BIOS changes that you input before you installed OS X. You can find the changes on the first page of the thread.

I have tried Chameleon 2.1. Which release are you using?. Also do you think the fact that I have an i5 in a motherboard that originally held an i7 makes a difference? I did the motherboard swap to get the nVidia graphics right when I got the laptop.

I am using chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) 1.11.1 (the same bootloader bundled with the rest of the kext files.

The originally-i5-motherboard shouldn't make a difference.

Update from my end - I can confirm that nothing's fallen apart since installing Clover (I just wish it wasn't so ugly) and iMessage / FaceTime works like a charm.

Also, I was getting a lot of crackle when using Garageband previously. I thought it was a good excuse to play with VoodooHDA, and can confirm that 2.8.2 works perfectly. It can be downloaded at OSX86 (not sure if house rules permit me to link to it here).

I've attached the kext with my modified info.plist in it, as I don't want to use HDMI audio etc - might come in useful for someone.

VoodooHDA.kext.zip