E6410 with nVidia NVS 3100M graphics - Mountain Lion Guide

v3ct0r

Thanks, I just downloaded and installed. I have a dumb question though. What exactly do I do? If I select detect displays my laptop screen goes black and I cant get back to it without rebooting and If I don't use detect displays then the external monitor isn't picked up by the laptop at all.

That's pretty weird then; I just tried both ways on mine too and the black screen on the external monitor only happens when the lid is closed.

Ok, I've made a little headway in identifying the problem. So I used the fn+f8 display option I hadn't really tried yet,  and I feel really stupid for not thinking of it sooner. I think at one point in time I had this problem with a Windows installation. So here are the results for using it so far.

When I use fn+f8 while booted into  Lion the box freezes and the mouse arrow disappears resulting in needing to be rebooted to regain functionality.  So I tried the fn+f8 at boot up and it actually goes to the external display. I see the drive in Chameleon and boot into It. It then goes into the Apple logo with the spinning wheel and everything is fine.  After that the monitor shuts off and goes into power saving mode as it moves to the Lion login screen (before it actually gets to it though). Both screens remain black at this point and I need to reboot. So I'm thinking that my problem may lie in not having the use of my FN key while in Lion. If I did I could possibly switch between displays. I'm not sure what is making the external lose its connection at the login screen though, but hey it's a step in the right direction.

So the good fight continues lol...

EDIT:  It seems that the fn button is working for other options. It is only freezing when I use the fn+f8 display combo. (the mouse disappears and cannot do anything through keyboard)

Hi Patel

I am happy to have come across your guide i too was having trouble with my E6410 i5 8Gig Intel GPU. I took the time to read almost the whole thread to get my machine up and running. At first my machine would not allow the Mouse and Ethernet to work. But after trying different combos, I realize that you have to choose the extra from the stick and not the generic one that my hack tries to install.

So when the install ask you choose just choose "My own" and navigate to the extra that is in the E6410 folder that Patel provides.

Now all my stuff works. Plus it is not calling my machine a iMac anymore but a Macbook Pro 8,1 in System Information.

I AM SCARED TO UPGRADE 10.8.2 THOUGH MR Patel do you think it is safe to do so? lol

Hi Patel

I am happy to have come across your guide i too was having trouble with my E6410 i5 8Gig Intel GPU. I took the time to read almost the whole thread to get my machine up and running. At first my machine would not allow the Mouse and Ethernet to work. But after trying different combos, I realize that you have to choose the extra from the stick and not the generic one that my hack tries to install.

So when the install ask you choose just choose "My own" and navigate to the extra that is in the E6410 folder that Patel provides.

Now all my stuff works. Plus it is not calling my machine a iMac anymore but a Macbook Pro 8,1 in System Information.

I AM SCARED TO UPGRADE 10.8.2 THOUGH MR Patel do you think it is safe to do so? lol

Hello Bigman,

Great news! An E6410 with the Intel GPU has proved to be challenging to get up and running with the guide, so good job on your part.

I do think it is safe to upgrade to 10.8.2, but only if you follow the guide with the zip files to do so.

I would also suggest making a backup using Time Machine and keeping your Installation USB drive handy, so if anything does go wrong, you can get back to a usable state quickly and easily.

• Like 1

Possibly an understatement... ;-)

I'm sending this from my newly-installed e6410 running 10.8.2 thanks to a flawless guide from Patel4Prez (and a replacement nVidia system board)!

I'm pleased that I made the swap, as it was a fairly cheap upgrade and the dedicated graphics alongside 8Gb ram and an SSD makes it a pretty solid performer.

Next steps are:

- complete the post-install instructions

- get TRIM working

- find a new project to distract myself ;-)

Thanks again Patel, really good job! :)

Great news! An E6410 with the Intel GPU has proved to be challenging to get up and running with the guide, so good job on your part.
  • Like 1