E6410 with nVidia NVS 3100M graphics - Mountain Lion Guide

v3ct0r

Hey Dj Lyriz,

To be honest, I'm not sure what would cause the machine to turn off. Are you sure it turns off and not just the screen that goes blank?

As far as I know, none of the enablers or injectors work with Mountain Lion...

well, it seems as if the backlight turns off just as its booting. I tried forcing the screen res (as jebediah suggested) and that didn't work, same as either injector. if i keep the injectors off, screen still turns off. I've tried removing my second hdd with my backup copy of snow leopard, just to be sure it wasn't trying to use my snow leo dsdt, same issues.

Yes I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting the usb in vmware and physically. I have also tried rebooting the guest installation.  It does show in disk utility and I am able to interact with the drive.  The only thing it is not showing up in is Kext Wizard.  It says on the target disk drop down menu... choose, item 2 item 3 .  Thank you for the response, this has been driving me nuts lol.

Does it show on the desktop? As far as I know, if the drive shows up on the desktop, it should have no reason not to show up in Kext Wizard...

well, it seems as if the backlight turns off just as its booting. I tried forcing the screen res (as jebediah suggested) and that didn't work, same as either injector. if i keep the injectors off, screen still turns off. I've tried removing my second hdd with my backup copy of snow leopard, just to be sure it wasn't trying to use my snow leo dsdt, same issues.

Try to boot with "PCIRootUID=1" and/or "npci=0x2000"/"npci=0x3000" (without the quotes)...

Are you using the org.chameleon.boot.plist from the install zip in the first post?

No it is not showing up on my desktop. Should the partition on the USB drive be set to MBR or GUID?

It should be GUID (or MBR if that doesn't work) and the partition should be Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)/HFS+. 

The fact that it doesn't show on the desktop may mean it's incorrectly partition or not initialized. When you are on the info screen of the drive in disk utility, is there an "Initialize" button in the top bar?

Try to boot with "PCIRootUID=1" and/or "npci=0x2000"/"npci=0x3000" (without the quotes)...

Are you using the org.chameleon.boot.plist from the install zip in the first post?

i need to boot with PCIRootUID=1 and npci=0x2000 or it gets stuck @ pci configuration begin. and i used  the org.chameleon.boot.plist from the install zip to install but it had the same issue as ive got now, so i used the one jebediah supplied. same issue.

i need to boot with PCIRootUID=1 and npci=0x2000 or it gets stuck @ pci configuration begin. and i used  the org.chameleon.boot.plist from the install zip to install but it had the same issue as ive got now, so i used the one jebediah supplied. same issue.

So it gets passed pci configuration begin and then goes to a black screen?

If that's the case, then try with PCIRootUID=0

It should be GUID (or MBR if that doesn't work) and the partition should be Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)/HFS+. 

The fact that it doesn't show on the desktop may mean it's incorrectly partition or not initialized. When you are on the info screen of the drive in disk utility, is there an "Initialize" button in the top bar?

I have tried it as GUID & MBR.  The drive is showing up in the dock at the bottom of my desktop as a question mark. I have tried using the "ignore ownership on this volume" check box on and off as well.  I dont see any initialize button on the top bar in disk utility. I only see verify, info, burn, unmount, eject, enable journaling, new image, convert and resize image.  I have enabled journaling. Still getting the choose , item 1 and item 2 in the drop down menu of kext.

edit: it is showing on my desktop now after I changed the finder, settings, general to show it. But still no luck in kext

The question mark will usually occur in the Dock when it has "lost" the location for it. Think of it has a broken shortcut in Windows. It seems that your system is recognizing your drive, but Kext Wizard is not. Try rebooting your system, make sure your drive is recognized, then open Kext Wizard and see if it recognizes the drive. Also, go into disk utility and use verify disk on the installer drive, the report may provide information why Kext Wizard isn't recognizing it.

I have re-read your posts. Is your problem that the installer loads (you create the flash drive, get to the installer screen, but doesn't progress)? That's what I'm getting from your first post. If so, check all relevant areas in BIOS ( some may be SATA, eSATA, RAID, SATA 6G) to make sure each one is set to ACHI.

Okay I have figured the problem out finally. Thanks to all who have responded to my original post. I decided to redo everything from the ground up. I started by reinstalling my Mac OS X guest installation and worked from there forward.  One thing that I noticed after doing so, is that any copy of Kext Wizard that I downloaded in Win 7 and imported over to my VMware guest reproduced the same error as before ( the choose, item 2, item 3 listed for target drives).  So I decided to download a copy of Kext Wizard through my Mac OS X VMware guest (now that upon reinstall I actually got the network connection to work, whereas before it wouldn't).  So after downloading and trying to run the program I got an error stating that I couldn't run the program until I changed my settings to be able to execute programs that were from unknown publishers. I'm pretty sure this is where the problem was. Because after changing this setting and running Kext Wizard it listed my USB flash drive as an option for the target drive. I then followed the instructions from the first page to the letter and am currently about 75% of the way through the main install on my E6410 laptop =) ... I will follow up with the results as soon as it finishes up. Thanks again guys and a big thank you to Patel4prez for an amazing tutorial and following up on questions. Fingers crossed , so far it seems to be going off without a hitch.