E6410 with nVidia NVS 3100M graphics - Mountain Lion Guide

v3ct0r

Ok Im back up and running. The problem turned out being that I needed to remove steps 22-38 on the creating installer list on page one of this thread. This just happened by a stroke of luck. I have tried the detect displays suggestion and it did not work. I have tried to install nvinject as well and no luck. The mac screen goes to black after selecting detect displays and the external monitor just goes into power save mode, leaving me with 2 black screens. I have a DSDT file that some people have said makes the vga port work and they are using the exact same nvidia card and laptop model as I am ( http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/219229-guide-dell-latitude-e6410/page__st__100 ). Im just not sure how to patch the DSDT.  I did find out that it was the install of Pdanet that was what caused my system to not be able to boot. I recreated it and then removed pdanet through safe mode. I wish I would have known this before doing a whole new install lol, but Im learning and thats the point I guess lol. So im back to trying to get this vga port up and running, I would love to be able to use my hackbook on a larger screen.

Ok Im back up and running. The problem turned out being that I needed to remove steps 22-38 on the creating installer list on page one of this thread. This just happened by a stroke of luck. I have tried the detect displays suggestion and it did not work. I have tried to install nvinject as well and no luck. The mac screen goes to black after selecting detect displays and the external monitor just goes into power save mode, leaving me with 2 black screens. I have a DSDT file that some people have said makes the vga port work and they are using the exact same nvidia card and laptop model as I am ( http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/219229-guide-dell-latitude-e6410/page__st__100 ). Im just not sure how to patch the DSDT.  I did find out that it was the install of Pdanet that was what caused my system to not be able to boot. I recreated it and then removed pdanet through safe mode. I wish I would have known this before doing a whole new install lol, but Im learning and thats the point I guess lol. So im back to trying to get this vga port up and running, I would love to be able to use my hackbook on a larger screen.

Glad you figured it out. I meant to report back the day before on the VGA status. It works for me just fine. In fact, I'm typing this whilst using my secondary monitor! Not sure what the problem on your end could be. If you like, I'll post my DSDT. It should be the same as whatever is in the zip files.

Quite interesting that not replacing/repairing the kext/kext permissions is what solved your problem. If enough people have the same problem you did, and skipping those steps solves it, I will be sure to remove it.

Also interesting that PDANet broke your HacBook. I installed it about a month ago (but ditched it in favor of android's wifi tether) and didn't have a problem.

Keep in mind that the guide you are reading on insanelymac is from the Snow Leopard days of OS X on the 6410. Applying the same fixes that worked back then may not necessarily work now (I learned that pretty quickly when trying to figure out how to get ML on this thing!  :)). 

Glad you figured it out. I meant to report back the day before on the VGA status. It works for me just fine. In fact, I'm typing this whilst using my secondary monitor! Not sure what the problem on your end could be. If you like, I'll post my DSDT. It should be the same as whatever is in the zip files.

Quite interesting that not replacing/repairing the kext/kext permissions is what solved your problem. If enough people have the same problem you did, and skipping those steps solves it, I will be sure to remove it.

Also interesting that PDANet broke your HacBook. I installed it about a month ago (but ditched it in favor of android's wifi tether) and didn't have a problem.

Keep in mind that the guide you are reading on insanelymac is from the Snow Leopard days of OS X on the 6410. Applying the same fixes that worked back then may not necessarily work now (I learned that pretty quickly when trying to figure out how to get ML on this thing!  :)). 

Ok new update lol. I have located why Pdanet broke my hackbook. The Pdanet installation kept failing yet it would install the items needed. This failed installation is what was keeping my mac from rebooting. So I thought Id try to manually install the pdanetdrv.kext since the error message from the install log was kext related. I then used the kext wizard to repair the permissions and what not. Then reboot...walla. It worked like a charm. I was not able to use the usb tether but was able to get internet to my  hackbook via pdanet bluetooth dun. Which I am more than satisfied with. I am learning more the more I break stuff lol.

So the VGA issue Im not quite sure about. If yours works then mine should since we are running identical boxes.

My monitor specs, if it helps any, are as follows:

Dell E248WFP w/ dvi and vga inputs

I have tried to use the detect monitor button and boot into it as well. I make sure that I have selected the vga setting on the monitor itself when doing so. It seems like the mac does detect something as it goes to a black screen. The monitor itself lights green for a second before moving into power saver mode. It is not saying no signal detected like it normally does when there is no signal present.

I thought that was strange as well about the removing those steps. I could have swore I had done them the first time, because it took me forever and a day to get the kext wizard working through vmware. I stumbled onto it by accident as it was late and realized halfway through the install that I did not do the kext updates on my usb installer. I was surprised that it went through. I seriously screwed around with it for about 8 hours solid lol.

Thanks again for all of your help. It is greatly appreciated. This has been by far the most helpful and informative forum/thread that I have come  across regarding hackbooks so kudos to you guys =)

Im open to any and all suggestions regarding the vga dilemma (not sure how to patch the DSDT) and if something comes up I will be sure to post it, thanks again!

patel could you please link me your DSDT and possibly give me a brief howto or a link to one? I'm still at a standstill on the VGA port ( which I dont get because Ive read multiple posts that it should be working OOTB ) thanks =)

I will definitely do that as soon as I get home from work! I will most certainly post a how to here on replacing it (you really only have to move it to the /Extra folder)...

I too don't get why it doesn't work OOTB. If you have another drive with windows, I would test it and see if it works. The only other thing I can think of if that doesn't work is to check your BIOS settings.

patel could you please link me your DSDT and possibly give me a brief howto or a link to one? I'm still at a standstill on the VGA port ( which I dont get because Ive read multiple posts that it should be working OOTB ) thanks =)

I will definitely do that as soon as I get home from work! I will most certainly post a how to here on replacing it (you really only have to move it to the /Extra folder)... I too don't get why it doesn't work OOTB. If you have another drive with windows, I would test it and see if it works. The only other thing I can think of if that doesn't work is to check your BIOS settings.

Finally made it back here!

I know I promised I would post this yesterday, so sorry about that...

Anyway, here it is! Let us know how it goes, and best of luck!

patel4prez's E6410 DSDT.zip

Finally made it back here!

I know I promised I would post this yesterday, so sorry about that...

Anyway, here it is! Let us know how it goes, and best of luck!

attachicon.gifpatel4prez's E6410 DSDT.zip

Thanks much... unfortunately no dice =( . I'm  really not sure what im doing wrong. I know the VGA port works. I was using the external monitor on my previous installation of Win XP on the E6410.  I have tried different variations. I have tried to boot with it attached (which goes directly into a black screen) When I use the detect displays button both screens go black. The external is catching a signal though.  When I disconnect it tells me no signal present and when I reconnect it takes a second and goes into power save mode. I have checked the front panel setup on the display for any possible features on the monitor and found nothing. I also checked my BIOS and found nothing indicative to being related to VGA output, external displays or anything of the sort. What steps do you do exactly to get yours working. I wish I had a second monitor to test out, is it possible that this monitor doesn't work with make or maybe the resolution or something like that is screwing it up?

Thanks much... unfortunately no dice =( . I'm  really not sure what im doing wrong. I know the VGA port works. I was using the external monitor on my previous installation of Win XP on the E6410.  I have tried different variations. I have tried to boot with it attached (which goes directly into a black screen) When I use the detect displays button both screens go black. The external is catching a signal though.  When I disconnect it tells me no signal present and when I reconnect it takes a second and goes into power save mode. I have checked the front panel setup on the display for any possible features on the monitor and found nothing. I also checked my BIOS and found nothing indicative to being related to VGA output, external displays or anything of the sort. What steps do you do exactly to get yours working. I wish I had a second monitor to test out, is it possible that this monitor doesn't work with make or maybe the resolution or something like that is screwing it up?

Really the only things I do to get my external display working are, 1.) Plug it in, 2.) Start using it! What's good in this situation (I guess) is that the external monitor is getting SOMETHING...

In my experience with the Dell monitors, most of them will tell you that the resolution is too high, so unless you get a message that says so, it's probably not the resolution.

I've also got a dumb question for you: Are you closing the lid on the laptop when you plug in the external monitor?

I've actually tried it both ways, with the lid up and the lid down.

That's pretty weird then; I just tried both ways on mine too and the black screen on the external monitor only happens when the lid is closed.