E6410 with nVidia NVS 3100M graphics - Mountain Lion Guide

v3ct0r

Hey jansenspencer,

Thank you very much for giving me the information you did. It definitely helps!

As for suggestions, I would try deleting (/moving to another location) all kext files beginning with AppleIntelHD from the USB installer in the \System\Library\Extensions directory.

Let me know if you need more help/a more detailed explanation.

Thanks for this - I'll try over the next couple of days and let you know how I get on :)

I know that the advice is often to boot chameleon from the USB installer, then select the HD. This gives an apple logo with a "no entry" sort of symbol through it after about 30 seconds. Booting verbose goes fine until:

No interval found for . Using 8000000

vendor:device: 0x8086:0x10ea.

AppleIntelE1000e(Info): changing MTU from 0 to 1500

AppleIntelE1000e(Info): AppleIntelE1000e:WOL = 2

Still waiting for root device

@jensenspencer - you could try booting with the PCIRootUID=0 bootflag like I said in my previous post. I had this error when booting Snow Leopard specifically but it may also work when the same occurs for booting Mountain Lion.

Thank you very much for sharing that information! I will be honest in saying that I really didn't think to much about the CPU usage in Mountain Lion on are 6410s until I read it!

@patel4prez - It's my pleasure to contribute as much as I can. I pay a lot of attention to CPU because it will fail to maintain stability whenever it's got too much load to deal with and it's not optimally used by the system. I got tired of ending up with sssslllllooooowwww downs whenever I had say Photoshop and Safari both opened (!), spinning fans up and heating my laps for nothing really. In fact ML is even more heat-efficient than SL was so I've totally made the switch by now.

Regarding your DSDT, I had patched mine with the file found on olarila too, as well as tweaked it a bit to get shutdown and VGA from fixes found for E6510. However this was ages ago so the file has probably been updated since and incorporates various fixes, like restart to our delight.

Yeah, Safari gives me loads of error messages in the Console (CGSWindow or something, be it relevant or not), and just (h)eats CPU after some time. I actually read your reply while on Chrome and haven't changed since because it's definitely more stable than Safari on my system. So everything fine on this side now.

Say, I spotted the E6400 ML thread in these forums looking for a sleep solution on the E6410. You provide an answer which is installing sleepenabler, changing hibernatemode to 0 and disabling safe sleep. Have you tested this on the E6410? It'd be nice to have sleep working. In SL I could only manage to sleep and wake ONCE, then entering sleep again would force me to hard reset the laptop.

Also I read somewhere (maybe on that same thread) that someone got 2 fingers scrolling to work on a E6400. I couldn't figure whether the latter has ALPS or Synaptics touchpad. Apparently it makes a difference because ALPS seem to have a significantly poorer design, and the E6410 is stuck with it.

@jensenspencer - you could try booting with the PCIRootUID=0 bootflag like I said in my previous post. I had this error when booting Snow Leopard specifically but it may also work when the same occurs for booting Mountain Lion.

@patel4prez - It's my pleasure to contribute as much as I can. I pay a lot of attention to CPU because it will fail to maintain stability whenever it's got too much load to deal with and it's not optimally used by the system. I got tired of ending up with sssslllllooooowwww downs whenever I had say Photoshop and Safari both opened (!), spinning fans up and heating my laps for nothing really. In fact ML is even more heat-efficient than SL was so I've totally made the switch by now.

Regarding your DSDT, I had patched mine with the file found on olarila too, as well as tweaked it a bit to get shutdown and VGA from fixes found for E6510. However this was ages ago so the file has probably been updated since and incorporates various fixes, like restart to our delight.

Yeah, Safari gives me loads of error messages in the Console (CGSWindow or something, be it relevant or not), and just (h)eats CPU after some time. I actually read your reply while on Chrome and haven't changed since because it's definitely more stable than Safari on my system. So everything fine on this side now.

Say, I spotted the E6400 ML thread in these forums looking for a sleep solution on the E6410. You provide an answer which is installing sleepenabler, changing hibernatemode to 0 and disabling safe sleep. Have you tested this on the E6410? It'd be nice to have sleep working. In SL I could only manage to sleep and wake ONCE, then entering sleep again would force me to hard reset the laptop.

Also I read somewhere (maybe on that same thread) that someone got 2 fingers scrolling to work on a E6400. I couldn't figure whether the latter has ALPS or Synaptics touchpad. Apparently it makes a difference because ALPS seem to have a significantly poorer design, and the E6410 is stuck with it.

Jebediah, I wish I could help answer your question, but can not as I do not have a E6410. I believe he has used this sleep solution on his own E6410. Just wanted to let you know Patel4Prez lives in an area which was impacted significantly by the recent storm on the US East Coast, and as such, may not have electric and/or WiFi restored yet. The area may not be restored before another storm comes on Wednesday, and may cause additional delays. I'm sure he will respond as soon as he is able.

Hey jansenspencer,

Thank you very much for giving me the information you did. It definitely helps!

As for suggestions, I would try deleting (/moving to another location) all kext files beginning with AppleIntelHD from the USB installer in the \System\Library\Extensions directory.

Let me know if you need more help/a more detailed explanation.

Hey, I have the exact same issue as jansenspencer. Followed the guide to a T multiple times, and each time I end up with the same exact error as him. My Mountain Lion was downloaded 11/1 and I used the 10.8.2 ZIP. I tried moving the AppleIntelHD kexts as you suggested and still the same problem- install fails with about 4 minutes remaining.

Anything else I might try? Thanks!

Hello all,

I am sorry for the absence; Hurricae Sandy has kept me busy! The power was out until today and I had trees to take care of...

Thank you Darvinko for giving everyone a heads up.

I will reply to everyone's posts when I find the time today.

Hey jebediah,

I have not had any luck getting sleep to work on the E6410 even by changing the hibernatemode to 0; I pretty much gave up on it since. Because you managed to get it working once, I will try again this weekend.

As for the touchpad, the 6400 has a Synaptics touchpad, which has better driver support under osx. Our 6410s however have Alps touchpads, which don't play too nice with the multitouch aspect of osx. Still, I keep checking now and then to see if anything new has been developed....