E6410 with nVidia NVS 3100M graphics - Mountain Lion Guide

v3ct0r

Hi Patel,

I am very grateful to you sir for your efforts.

I just realized that my sound does not work. My system says it is installed but no output or input. Help! everything else work but for sound.

Did i miss a step for the sound not to work.  hehehe biting my nails here...kinda....just happy to see ML on my E6410

Possibly an understatement... ;-)

I'm sending this from my newly-installed e6410 running 10.8.2 thanks to a flawless guide from Patel4Prez (and a replacement nVidia system board)!

I'm pleased that I made the swap, as it was a fairly cheap upgrade and the dedicated graphics alongside 8Gb ram and an SSD makes it a pretty solid performer.

Next steps are:

- complete the post-install instructions

- get TRIM working

- find a new project to distract myself ;-)

Thanks again Patel, really good job! :)

That's excellent news! It definitely is a great performing machine with the ssd...

I too need to get TRIM working...a word if caution though, make sure your drive supports it before enabling it.

Hi Patel,

I am very grateful to you sir for your efforts.

I just realized that my sound does not work. My system says it is installed but no output or input. Help! everything else work but for sound.

Did i miss a step for the sound not to work. hehehe biting my nails here...kinda....just happy to see ML on my E6410

Have you installed voodoohda? Specifically the one from the guide?

@ Patel , Do you possibly have any more ideas or know of other threads that might be able to help me with the external monitor problem?  It is able to switch to external when I am booting when I select fn+f8 and runs up until the apple logo with spinning wheel but cuts off into power save mode whenever it gets ready to go to login screen. So it has to be something with the installation, maybe a kext or something?

UPDATE:

I have finally been successful in getting my external monitor via the VGA port working!!!  All I needed to do was update my Chameleon to version 2.1 and that did the trick. Everything is fully functional minus the SD card reader.

Good to hear (or read :P)!

When you say Chameleon, did you mean you used Chameleon and not chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) from the guide? I only ask because I would like to update the guide with the most recent version that works.

Sorry for the confusion. I had used chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) 1.11.1 from the guide initially.  Then I just installed Chameleon 2.1. I got them confused for the same thing lol.  I had been doing a lot of googling and did not realize that these pertained to video in any way.  I saw the chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) version was at 1.11.1 and somehow got it confused with Chameleon and saw that the version of Chameleon was at 2.1.  So I installed and it fixed it.  Total blind luck of a fix for me considering it was because of a mix up.

• Like 1

Followed the guide, first time newbie... after 7 hours or so I got it working..

The first time failed because i used the E6410 ML file.. it would complete the install but crash on bootup. I then noticed there was a newer version at the bottom called E6410 ML 10.8.2. I started over using the guide using the newer E6410 ML 10.8.2 files but now the install wouldn't finish. I would get to about 2-4 min left and it would fail WITHOUT prompting to install the extras.

Here is what worked for me.

1. I followed all the preinstall steps and patched & Kext my boot disk with the older E6410 ML files. EXCEPT at the very end i copied the E6410 ML AND the E6410 ML 10.8.2 files over to my install disk.

2. I ran the install and it finished, when it prompted me to install custom extras I picked the newer E6410 ML 10.8.2 folder.

reboot and system fired right up, everything post install worked as inspected.

e6410

i5

Nvida 3100m

hope that helps someone. Thanks again for taking the time to write a detailed guide.. I've already ordered a Broadcom wifi.. as I had the intel one :-/

• Like 1

Sorry for the confusion. I had used chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) 1.11.1 from the guide initially.  Then I just installed Chameleon 2.1. I got them confused for the same thing lol.  I had been doing a lot of googling and did not realize that these pertained to video in any way.  I saw the chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) version was at 1.11.1 and somehow got it confused with Chameleon and saw that the version of Chameleon was at 2.1.  So I installed and it fixed it.  Total blind luck of a fix for me considering it was because of a mix up.

Great! I just added your solution to the guide. Thanks!

The first time failed because i used the E6410 ML file.. it would complete the install but crash on bootup. I then noticed there was a newer version at the bottom called E6410 ML 10.8.2. I started over using the guide using the newer E6410 ML 10.8.2 files but now the install wouldn't finish. I would get to about 2-4 min left and it would fail WITHOUT prompting to install the extras.

1. I followed all the preinstall steps and patched & Kext my boot disk with the older E6410 ML files. EXCEPT at the very end i copied the E6410 ML AND the E6410 ML 10.8.2 files over to my install disk.

2. I ran the install and it finished, when it prompted me to install custom extras I picked the newer E6410 ML 10.8.2 folder.

e6410

i5

Nvida 3100m

hope that helps someone. Thanks again for taking the time to write a detailed guide.. I've already ordered a Broadcom wifi.. as I had the intel one :-/

Congratulations! Thank you very much for letting me know about this. I just updated the guide, so hopefully no one else should have this problem again. You will definitely be helping someone :)

e6410

i5

Nvida 3100m

This is the same problem I was having early on with the install failing at the end and not prompting for the extras. I had posted what worked for me in post #181 of this thread located on page 10.  I simply removed steps 22-38 for creating the installer and it installed fine and prompted for the extras as well. I then just used kext wizard to do those steps after booting into the new installation (only needing to use the 10.8.2 files).