[GUIDE] Mavericks on Dell Latitude E6420

npjohnson

First of all - Thank you!  Your guide was indispensable in getting our Dell E6420 up and running with OSX 10.9.3 (Mavericks).

A couple of notes -

1)  I had long boot delays with Chameleon until I used the Chameleon control panel to disable USB Bux Fix.  The delay was occuring before the apple logo.  Sometimes 5minutes.  I figured it out from this article: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2699-e6220-mountain-lion-extreme-slow-boot-speeds/

2)  I had to use Voodoo HDA Kext to get sound working.  Once done, speaker worked and iphone headset (including mic).  This really surprised me very positively!

3)  The only thing not yet working is the External VGA output.  HDMI works great.  When I hit Fn F8 the screen switches and is garbled (interestingly the mouse pointer is clear).  Another Fn F8 and the garbled screen comes back to the laptop.  I was not able to get out of this mode without reboot.  Mine has the Intel HD 300 Graphics with 384MB. 

It turns out I really need the VGA working for some of my applications (giving presentations often requires VGA to connect to a projector) so your advice would be appreciated!

4)  Finally a surprise.  Fur fun only!  Please only try this if you back up first. 

I also have a 2010 era Mac Book air.  The entire Hackintosh for the E6240 was installed on an external 500GB external SDD (this enabled clean dual booting with Windows 7, without touching the installed drive).  After backing up the SDD using SuperDuper, I was curious to see what happened If I booted off a "True Mac" by holding down the option key and then selecting the SDD.  Amazing!  It just worked.  Now I can go back and forth to work and cary an SDD in my pocket and have my entire workspace good to go including applications.  Surprising but beautiful.

Thanks again!

Greg

- Almost beautiful.  The sound stopped working after my switch to a real Mac and back again.  Think OSX installed a conflicting kext.  Anyway it almost works.  I will see if I can nail down the issue and write a script to go back and forth.

Downloaded and installed the driver :)

Happy now with my device, and using it now.

---- SOLVED ----

Now I have bought and replaced the internal wireless in the Dell E6420:

lspci -nn

02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapator (PCI-Express) [168c:002b] (rev 01)

I checked all the BIOS settings, they are ok, but it doesn't light up .. and in Mavericks, it is not a detected item. Sounds like I am not bringing up the wireless on the kernel boot (and I cannot actually see a wireless in the dmesg as well).

May I ask what am I missing ??

Thanks.

im having an issue when doing this. when i boot it just hangs after "system uptime in nanosecond" and nothing happens even after 2-3 minutes? running A21 bios with i5-2420m and a nvidia nvs4200m :( any suggestions? maybe im doing something wrong. just followed op

• Moderators

im having an issue when doing this. when i boot it just hangs after "system uptime in nanosecond" and nothing happens even after 2-3 minutes? running A21 bios with i5-2420m and a nvidia nvs4200m :( any suggestions? maybe im doing something wrong. just followed op

The guide will only work for the Intel HD3000 graphics.

Use this guide instead. Unless you want to use the Nvidia card, follow this guide.

• Like 1

yup... you probably need to inject your graphics into your DSDT.

I'm using the DSDT file provided in this guide...

But that was not the issue, it was the config.plist file!

Now I can boot CLOVER from pen drive...

I will keep on with my experiments and post my findings and conclusions!!!

Tks again...

• Like 1

I'm using the DSDT file provided in this guide...

But that was not the issue, it was the config.plist file!

Now I can boot CLOVER from pen drive...

I will keep on with my experiments and post my findings and conclusions!!!

Tks again...

Can you booot with Clover in UEFI or Legacy mode?

Can you booot with Clover in UEFI or Legacy mode?

Hello,

Im booting UEFI...

My config.plist was generated using an excellent tool named HVT.... ;)

The installation disk was created by one of your guides....

Nexts Steps:  Install clover in System disk, Install Windows and get a dual boot single disk working machine!!!

Thanks for your efforts (guides, tools, etc) and help...

The guide will only work for the Intel HD3000 graphics.

Use this guide instead. Unless you want to use the Nvidia card, follow this guide.

So I booted into the os and its on 10.9 but I can't seem to get my Ethernet to work. I tried your bootpacks but still no luck. Wondering if I can update to 10.9.3 and then get sound volume and all that too work. Any steps I should take and also the new bootpack for 9.3? Still fiddling around with this since I have no internet access. Jake that extras on op didn't work

I used the first guide.