Dell Latitude D620 Thread

vorob

I'm just using the predefined settings. The only thing I've added is Chameleon Wizard as Hervé suggested.

Do you think it would be worthwhile cloning the HD, wiping it then re-installing the OS and finally, migrating everything back? It would take a while but would it stand a chance of working?

Hey guys,

I didn't want to start another thread and I don't mean to hijack this thread but I was wondering if you can help me out. I'm trying to run Lion 10.7.5 on my D620 BIOS A10, T5600, 1.83ghz, Centrino Duo.

I even restore my Dell to factory fresh condition and tried the install.

I followed the instructions:

Downloaded copy of installESD.dmg via my mac mini using instructions I found online via interrupting the restart sequence and saving the 'installESD.dmg' to an external drive.

It was 4.71g in size after all is said and done. > made a GUI-partition USB SD card > ran myHack >placed installESD.dmg under 'Create 10.7xx' > loaded bootpack from OSXLatitude into "Install Extra" --> 'Use my own'.

I boot up the D620 using the USB card. Then it stops at 'MAC OS VERSION' not found.

I then tried searching the forum for answers and even trying different install guides (D630 mainly as D620 threads I didn't find any answer to help me.)

I used the following flags to see if it helped but none were successful

I tried typing 'npci=0x02000' -v

I tried typing 'USBfix=NO' -v

I tried typing -v -x -f

At this point it seems like nothing is going to work. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to be as precise as possible. I'll take a screenshot later today when I get home.

Thanks for your help.

B

• Administrators

Hardware wise, you have everything to support Lion on that D620 (provided your Wireless card is not Intel). You did not say which graphics you have (Intel GMA or nVidia Quadro) but I'll assume that you chose the right bootpack.

This being said, I believe myHack (and or other installers) only supports retail versions of OS X, not the kind of recovery version you made, hence the "Mac OS version not found" error message.

There's good information here:

http://www.macworld....newer_macs.html

"[...] a bootable installer drive has advantages over Lion Recovery. For starters, Lion Recovery doesn't include the full Lion installer, it requires you to download nearly 4GB of data before you can reinstall Lion, whereas a bootable installer drive contains the entire Lion installer [...]"

I'd say you extracted the Lion Recovery version which is missing the Lion installer files. And you need those!

Hi Herve,

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't know that the installation process only worked with the retail version. I thought it said as long as I can extract the installESD.dmg it should work.

That's good to know as I drove myself crazy trying to find the answer the past 5 days.

I'll look into getting a retail version of Lion/Snow Loepard. I think my friend may have a hard copy of Snow Leopard that I may use in the mean while. I can try going that route. then maybe upgrading to Lion.

Thanks for your help and I'll keep this thread updated on my progress in case someone else runs into the same problem.

Hi Herve,

Just to update my status. I was able to use myhack via Snow Leopard Install DVD. I used 'remote device' via mac mini to source the Install DVD running on the D620. It took a while to transfer everything to myhack. Once it was completed though the install went smoothly.

One thing that I did notice was during the install the screen would black out / sleep. I searched the forum for a sleep flag and used that. I also keep moving the mouse every 2-3 mins just in case. All in all it took about 40 mins to install SL on to the D620.

I added the Extra folder and also downloaded the EDP dmg pack afterwards, accessing the internet via ethernet cable. Everything is running great!

I did have to turn off '2 finger scroll' in the system preference. The mouse was very laggy because of it, at least for me. I'm in the process on getting a Dell 1390 wifi card and using that.

Thanks so much for your help and to this great site!

* Side note, can I use the 'Check for Software updates' and install them as normal from the apple menu?

B

• Administrators

Downloads of combo updates are recommended over updates via the Apple-menu facility. The reason is you often have to re-run EDP kext install before reboot upon update installation as some are overwritten during the update, rendering your Hackintosh potentially unbootable. The Apple-menu software update does not let you do that.

There are exceptions naturally, where updates can be done straight through: 10.7.4 -> 10.7.5 or 10.8 -> 10.8.1 -> 10.8.2 for instances.

But updating from 10.7.3 to 10.7.4 required to re-run EDP. Same with updates to SL 10.6.8.

Thank for the answer Herve, I'll search the thread for 'combo updates' .

Also could you help me out on the sound? I just noticed that I have no sound coming out. I followed a thread dated back in 2011 to delete the 'Extra' folder from -root. Then to rerun edptool.command.

I deleted the 'Extra' folder, reran the EDP, select 1, then 6, for "D620, nVidia card". Still no sound.

Any thoughts on what I can do?

B

• Administrators

When you install the EDP kexts, opt for your own settings, not the default ones and go through the options. For audio, try the patched AppleHDA kext that is listed for the D620. I'll have to have a look at my own settings later on, can't remember what they are right now...