Inspiron 5558 i5 5200u El Capitan

radionoise

Hi Jake, Good News! Camera is now working and Im not sure why its not working earlier. Earlier it is only black, but now it can capture images already.

Please see below for the error I am saying on the SSDTgeneration.

Hi Jake, thank you for your support. I have successfully generated new Serial Number(SMBIOS) and SSDT.aml. please see below for the status of my installation:

Whats working:
Integrated Graphics(HD5500)
Brightness control
Sound
Sleep & Deep Sleep
Battery Meter/Status
Internal Microphone
Function Keys(volume, sound, network, etc)
Webcam
Audio jack
HDMI Video Out

Not yet tested:
HDMI Audio
Wifi & bluetooth(not yet tested DW1560 is still on delivery)
Ethernet/Lan Cable
SDCard Reader

Not working:
Microphone via headphone jack

Any suggestion on Mic via headphone issue? Also can SDCard reader work? I have seen on system info that there is no details when i select the card reader but it is seen on USB. Please see attached photo. I have tried the link on sdcard on your signature but it does not work on me for now, still trying to get the proper vendor id and product id

• Moderators

USB card reader should work OOB. Have you tried inserting an SD card to see if it reads?

I found there's several ALC255 kexts out there. There's an AppleALC developed by vit9696 that conbines them all.

See here for the file. Try layoutID 3, 13, 17 and 27 to see which works better.

https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC/releases

and here for info

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/311293-applealc-—-dynamic-applehda-patching/

Basic install instruction:

• Place AppleALC.kext + lilu.kext in /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other
  • Remove patched AppleHDA_ALC255 /L/E or /S/L/E
  • Repair permission & rebuild cache
  • Change layoutID according to the kexts in Config.plist and DSDT if patched in both places
  • Remove/ Disable Hot Patches in the Config.plist under KextToPatch for AppleHDA_ALC255

Hi Jake & bronx, I will be researching on how to do what you two have instructed as I am new to this, will get back here if there is a progress. I have another set of questions:

1. ALC is for sound which will have effect on overall(internal speaker, hdmi, headset, microphone, bluetooth headset) so testing with the given set of Layout ID am I right?

2.I am confused on the kext locations when should I put it in EFI, /L/E, S/L/E. Can you enlighten me on this?

3.I have put lspci*.kext on S/L/E and fixed permissions to have the lspci command but I am not able to use lspci after restart

4. I have read that XCodeTools is required on some, is this a prerequisite or I can ignore it?

5. For me not having a internet connection on my lapto due to incompatible wifi card, is there any problems Ill face?

I will be reinstalling El Capitan as I have messed with some kext and my OS starts acting weird (finder hangs and everything hangs too and to fix this I have to restart and it appears again on about 20mins of usage). Ill reinstall to fix also my documentation as I will be moving to SSD next time when All issues are fixed.

I am planning to use this laptop as a programming/development environment for IOS/MacOs applications

Thanks again for your support

• Administrators

To answer some of your questions:

2. Kexts locations and resulting behaviour/impact:

• kexts placed in Clover EFI folder are injected (loaded) at boot time; they're not cached so they load slower and cannot be patched on-the-fly. You probably won't see those in the list of SysProfiler->Extensions.
  • /S/L/E is for all Apple's vanilla kexts; ideally, this folder is left untouched but some kexts will only load from that folder (eg: AppleHDA and, by extension, patched AppleHDA). Kexts placed in /S/L/E are cached and can therefore be patched on-the-fly by Clover (it patches the kernel cache).
  • /L/E is for 3rd party/add-on kexts; this is typically where our Hackintosh add-on kexts are added to be cached.

3. lspci tool requires more than a kext for line commands to operate. It's not built-in to OS X/macOS. You also need to install the exec + database files (which can and should be updated from time to time). See here for details.

4. No need for XCode to build a Hack. It may only be required for some tools or app, but these tend to be specific. This would be a complete post-installation app requirement.

5. No Internet => no "problems" per sé, just the obvious...

Hi Bronx & Hervé. Thabk you for additional info. This enlightens me.

Hi Jake, please see below for the update:

Microphone via headphones/headset

I have placed AppleALC and lilu on EFI/Clover/Kext/Other. I have deleted the AppleHDA_ALC255 in /L/E & /S/L/E and repair and rebuid cache. I have also changed the LayoutId to 3, 7, 17, 27, and 28 as stated here > https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC/wiki/Supported-codecs

All are working but Still microphone on Headphones does not work. Here are my findings:

1. I have tried to remove the AppleALC.kext and lilu.kext on efi/clover/kext/other to test. My sound is not working after restart

2. Placed AppleALC and Lilu on efi/clover/kext/other and tried to remove the layoutId. Sound still works(something suspicious)

3. I have tried to look into dsdt.aml file that comes in your bootpack but when opening the file, DSDT Editor has an error "Pairs of brackets don't match". I cannot look into dsdt if entries are there. Can you help me with this?

post-111463-0-72177200-1501598371_thumb.png

Card Reader

I have tried Inserting card reader with memory card on the SDCard but it does not work please see below:

post-111463-0-75930300-1501598414_thumb.png

Other findings:

1. Brightness level reverts to full brightness after restart.

2. I tried to update to 10.11.6 using a downloaded dmg file from apple since i have no internet wifi card still on shipping >https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1885?locale=en_US .

It completes but does not update the OS to 10.11.6 i have tried also 10.11.5 but still not successful after restart.

See attached file for logs

Installer Log 2-Aug-2017.txt.zip

Should I use uodate file? Or i must directly fresh install mac osx 10.11.6?

2. Ssdtprgen Notice for 1300 mhz limit and Warning for cpu-type- is this normal?

post-111463-0-60646100-1501598559_thumb.png

3. I have tried also VoodooPs2Controller R6B6 as recommended but lost my kb and mouse.I have tried also newer version upto R6RC2 but still no luck. Have reverted to old voodoops2 and all are working again. Is this normal?

post-111463-0-12069800-1501600073_thumb.png

Additional info

My Bios is A14

Here is my lspci result:

post-111463-0-13339000-1501598929_thumb.png

Please see attached file for my efi/clover/acpi & kext folder

(will uupload tomorrow - slow connection)

• Moderators

LayoutID was set to 3 in DSDT, you need to use MacIASL to edit it.  You could take out the layoutID reference in the DSDT so you could manually change it in the Config during boot to test the different layoutID.

Looks like your SD Card reader may not be supported it's not showing in your system information.

1) Try installing EmuVariableUefi-64.efi. Launch Clover Configurator, select "install drivers", select it under Drivers UEFI 64bit. You'll need to on the network. Or select it when installing Clover Loader.

2) If you're running El Capitan, you can upgrade with a combo update to Sierra, you need to upgrade either through the Appstore or download the full version.

2) The SSDTprgen.sh error is normal, you can post bug issue in PikerAlpha site if you want to

3) Your Inspiron has Synaptic touchpad, not Alps.